GenralLee

USA Stars vs NCAA Champs! BTS

I also don't really care for the Askren/Nickal match up.  There's a lot other guys on the freestyle circuit that I'd rather see match up with Nickal.  Honestly was surprised Nickal wanted the match up and still think it may be more related to some MMA aspirations.  

It's a charity exhibition match. Save those big Nickal matchups for tournaments where the results would actually matter. This is about guys letting it fly and putting on a show.

Edited by pamela

On 3/26/2019 at 3:23 PM, Billyhoyle said:

Me.  Askren is no longer relevant and hasn't been for a decade.  I want to see 2019 version of Bo Nickal against J'Den Cox, David Taylor, Zahid Valencia (if he moves up).  

In terms of making a world team, for sure Askren isn't relevant. 

In terms of intrigue? This is definitely a fun match. I don't understand why people wouldn't want to watch this...Bo is going to wrestle the guys competing for world teams at WTT, OTT, the US Open possible in future years, etc. He is never going to run into Askren at a tournament, so why not set up a fun exhibition?

Isn't Askren too small for Bo?  Askren competes in MMA at 170 (and he is a smaller 170), whereas Bo won NCAA's at 197.  Couple that with the fact that Askren hasn't competed in high-level wrestling matches in several years, makes me wonder if this is even a competitive match.

On 3/29/2019 at 3:40 PM, LemonPie said:

Gotta say... it's really weird that they started promoting this event before NCAA's even began.  Do they have any confirmations at this point?  

Yeah agreed but at least they have options. I assume they know who the USA team will be. Can’t imagine it is all #1s

They have 14 champs to play with and 10 weights. A few guys have already indicated they are out (Spencer Lee, Bo Nickal). They also have plently of other guys to pull from - Fix could drop down to 57kg and wrestle Gilman for example. 

I’m not very interested in seeing David Taylor vs Drew Foster, but if it was Martin I’d be excited 

2 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yeah agreed but at least they have options. I assume they know who the USA team will be. Can’t imagine it is all #1s

They have 14 champs to play with and 10 weights. A few guys have already indicated they are out (Spencer Lee, Bo Nickal). They also have plently of other guys to pull from - Fix could drop down to 57kg and wrestle Gilman for example. 

I’m not very interested in seeing David Taylor vs Drew Foster, but if it was Martin I’d be excited 

Idk if Spencer completely ruled it out just yet, though I doubt he does it. I can almost guarantee you wont see Gilman v. Fix because there's no way Gilman is going to arbitrarily give Fix an extra match to figure things out before trials. I really want to see this and I think it's a great idea in a vacuum, but I have a really strong feeling that it's going to fizzle out. It's a lot harder to get top domestic guys to wrestle each other in an all star match than it is to get top guys to wrestle international guys because there's more to lose and not much to gain. The most compelling matches are the ones least likely to happen imo.

Who cares if the outcome of most of these matches won't be in doubt.  Any chance to see what the young guys can do and let the senior reps show off a little is an interesting event IMO. Let's just make sure we're not wrestling on wet tile this time.  

Sign me up for any of these:

Gilman / Lee, Vito, Rivera,  Fix
Colon or Garrett / Fix or Suriano
Stieber, Retherford, Oliver / Yianni, McKenna, Ashnault
Green / Nolf, Hidlay, Pantaleo
Burroughs / Lewis, Joseph
Dake / Valencia, Hall
Taylor / Martin
Cox / Nickal or Moore
Snyder / Nickal or Cassar 
Gwiz / Cassar or Gable

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Sign me up for any of these:

Gilman / Lee, Vito, Rivera,  Fix
Colon or Garrett / Fix or Suriano
Stieber, Retherford, Oliver / Yianni, McKenna, Ashnault
Green / Nolf, Hidlay, Pantaleo
Burroughs / Lewis, Joseph
Dake / Valencia, Hall
Taylor / Martin
Cox / Nickal or Moore
Snyder / Nickal or Cassar 
Gwiz / Cassar or Gable

Looks great! On the Team USA side, I’d also be happy to see 

• Tony Rainbows at 61kg  (vs. Fix or Vito)
  • Tank at 70kg (vs. Nolf or Hidlay)
  • IMart at 74kg (vs. Lewis... tho there's no chance JB sits this one out)
  • Ringer at 79kg (vs. Valencia or Hall)
  • Coon at 125kg (vs. Cassar)

USA Wrestling should put out an April Fool’s press release saying that it’ll be Fix vs. Fix at 57kg, McKenna vs. McKenna at 65, and Zahid vs. Zahid at 79 haha.

Edited by pamela

19 hours ago, Gantry said:

Yeah, I have a feeling given how good of wrestlers BTS is able to get every time, they likely pay the athletes quite well to participate.

Would college underclassmen be able to get anything?

the longer the event waits, the less enthusiasm it will garner.

It should be done 2 weeks after NCAA's are over, similar to the USA v PA folk match. Get it done timely.

Imar/Lewis sounds great!

On 3/26/2019 at 10:11 AM, GranbyTroll said:

I don't want to see a 2008 74kg Olympian wrestle the 2019 NCAA 197lb Champ. 

Ben Askren destroyed 2013 NCAA 197lb Champ Quentin Wright in late 2013 in a modified freestyle match.

On 3/19/2019 at 2:21 PM, Ching said:

While you are correct in your rule, I'm not too sure Nickal v Zilmer isn't a good match. Zilmer doesn't have star power but he is not a tomato can.

Hayden has top notch upper body skills he was a greco WTT finalist. Bo in my opinion is a sloppy upper body wrestler. this would be a tougher match for him.