pamela

BTS Grapple at the Garden: Team USA vs. NCAA Champs

Hey, this looks pretty awesome... Team USA vs. this year's NCAA champs at Beat the Streets 2019 NYC:

I mean, we don't even know who the NCAA champions are yet but it's fun to speculate some possible fantasy matchups!

Gilman vs. Lee ?

Nahshon vs. Suriano ?

Stieber vs. Yianni ?

JB vs. Marinelli ?

Dake vs. Hall ?

J'Den or Snyder?? vs. Bo ?

This is great... I hope they alternate matches between free and folk. 

More info: http://ow.ly/cw4e50n1BYS

15 hours ago, LCpl Schmuckatelli said:

JB is obviously an all-time great but it would be interesting to see how he might take down Vincenzo Joseph.  Seems like the only way to get Joseph down is to go upper body.   

JB can absolutely take down Joseph with leg attacks...

17 minutes ago, Gantry said:

JB can absolutely take down Joseph with leg attacks...

Agreed, he has taken down everyone in the world with his leg attacks, including Chamizo whose defense is at another level higher than Joseph.

I don't see anyone stopping his doubles for a whole match.  To win you need to be able to score on him as well as stop his attacks

19 hours ago, LCpl Schmuckatelli said:

JB is obviously an all-time great but it would be interesting to see how he might take down Vincenzo Joseph.  Seems like the only way to get Joseph down is to go upper body.  

I think JB would take him down with leg attacks when he needs to.

Of course JB has taken down wrestlers with far better technical ability but Joseph just has ridiculously heavy hips due to his odd build: a really short torso with a big waist and thick legs.  JB is a far better wrestler and would definitely win, I’m just at curious to see if his blast double works on Joseph. 

Exciting idea with potential exciting match ups.  Hopefully it doesn't turn into a dud if the #1s start declining offer, but even the #2s could be a lot of fun.  I guess the disappointment of the All-Star matches is still fresh in my mind.

Can an administrator merge this topic with the one @GeneralLee about the same subject? If not, we should reply there since he started his discussion thread first.

Also I hope the NCAA champs aren't too banged up, burnt out, or heavy (although going over weight probably won't matter for this event) for this event. 

On 3/14/2019 at 12:37 PM, Jim L said:

Agreed, he has taken down everyone in the world with his leg attacks, including Chamizo whose defense is at another level higher than Joseph.

I don't see anyone stopping his doubles for a whole match.  To win you need to be able to score on him as well as stop his attacks

More like Chamizo's defense is 5 levels higher than Joseph's. 

Or more.

From JB up it will be ugly

JB would only get one takedown on Joseph in the match.  It would be followed by Joseph getting rolled 4 times in a leg lace...  Game set match. 

Dake and Hall: I don't think that would be close either.  I know Hall has a great freestyle background but Dake is mini Hercules he would probably 4 point him a couple times. I know he had a close one with Valencia, but I think there is more separation now between them.  That was prior to Dake having much overseas experience. 

Who do you put against Taylor? Bo?  He would get big brothered.  And Bo isn't big enough to deal with Cox. Match might be close point wise, but Cox would completely control the match Same with wrestling Martin.

Gable is the only one who should wrestle Gwiz.  White and Cassar are to small to give up size at that level.  They could wrestle Cox even though they would probably get drummed though. 

Snyder vs...  Doesn't matter. 

This is not a knock on the NCAA guys.  Our USA team is just so freaking good in those weights.  Every one of them either has a gold or multiple world medals. Plus, there is so much learned strategy difference with the best guys in the world.

Now, from Green down is an entirely different story. 

I do think Fix is able to beat Gilman

I would actually be a little surprised if Yianni didn't beat stieber

Nolf could beat green.  

I'm not sure anyone can beat Nashon or Colon. Maybe if McKenna wrestled one of them it would be close.  Our top guys in college at those weights are Lee, Fix, Yianni, McKenna, and Eireman.  The last 3 are the same weight. Unless Gilman cut down, which doesn't make since, Lee would be to small for Gilman, so it would have to be Fix.  After the college guys mentioned above I don't think there is anyone ready to wrestle our top guys.  So you would have to spread them out.

Interesting note though. McKenna and Eireman are 2 & 3 on the USA team.  Yianni is the #1 in NCAA.  If for some reason stieber can't go, it will be a freestyle NCAA semi-final or final.  

11 minutes ago, scramble said:

JB would only get one takedown on Joseph in the match.  It would be followed by Joseph getting rolled 4 times in a leg lace...  Game set match. 

Dake and Hall: I don't think that would be close either.  I know Hall has a great freestyle background but Dake is mini Hercules he would probably 4 point him a couple times. I know he had a close one with Valencia, but I think there is more separation now between them.  That was prior to Dake having much overseas experience. 

Who do you put against Taylor? Bo?  He would get big brothered.  And Bo isn't big enough to deal with Cox. Match might be close point wise, but Cox would completely control the match Same with wrestling Martin.

Gable is the only one who should wrestle Gwiz.  White and Cassar are to small to give up size at that level.  They could wrestle Cox even though they would probably get drummed though. 

This is not a knock on the NCAA guys.  Our USA team is just so freaking good in those weights.  Every one of them either has a gold or multiple world medals. Plus, there is so much learned strategy difference with the best guys in the world.

Nolf could beat green.  

I'm not sure anyone can beat Nashon or Colon. Maybe if McKenna wrestled one of them it would be close.  Our top guys in college at those weights are Lee, Fix, Yianni, McKenna, and Eireman.  The last 3 are the same weight. Unless Gilman cut down, which doesn't make since, Lee would be to small for Gilman, so it would have to be Fix.  After the college guys mentioned above I don't think there is anyone ready to wrestle our top guys.  So you would have to spread them out.

Interesting note though. McKenna and Eireman are 2 & 3 on the USA team.  Yianni is the #1 in NCAA.  If for some reason stieber can't go, it will be a freestyle NCAA semi-final or final.  

Nice analysis! 

38 minutes ago, scramble said:

Nolf could beat green.  

Don't know if it's going to go exactly as you wrote it up but I think you're pretty much right on the money.

Enjoyed your post.

I should probably post this on the college forum but I'm really looking forward to the Gable-Cassar semi, of course if they both get there. I thought Cassar looked just as big and strong as Gable in B10 finals. Does Cassar beat him again or does Gable bounce back and make it to the finals? 

4 hours ago, scramble said:

61kg is like 133 in college, right? I have no idea who the NCAA champ will be but it's such a deep weight class that one of Fix, Micic, Suriano, Erneste, Tariq, Pletcher, DeSanto, Phillipi, RBY should be able to give Nahshon a match, right?

Also has Nick Suriano wrestled freestyle since high school? I'm just wondering.

Fix yes.

I don't think any of the others would be able to though.  Suriano, and may Tariq could hold him off for a bit.  I think Desanto would be a horrible match for Nashon.  He comes to hard.  Nashon would double leg him into next week. The others just aren't there yet.  Nashon is soooooo fast.  His issue is he doesn't always open up, but when he is on nails.  He just lacks confidence from time to time.  When he opened up on Colon he teched him, and Colon won a bronze at the Worlds when Nashon got hurt.  Colon has a phenomenal defense so for Nashon to score as he did was impressive.