MSU158

Marinelli's draw

29 minutes ago, russelscout said:

He either gets Massa or Shields, not both. Joseph has completely been able to avoid Wick this season. Marinelli gets him round 4 if he gets there. Unbelievable to me.

I've always thought of Wick/Massa as a wash. I could see people complaining about the Jo Smith placement, but that's not really the seeding committee's fault - more of a result of how the Cowboys handled this weight + Jo's underperformance at conferences.

I agree that Marinelli has a tough bracket, but there's definitely a logic to the seeds. If you want to complain about the top seed at heavyweight, however, I'm all ears.

7 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I've always thought of Wick/Massa as a wash. I could see people complaining about the Jo Smith placement, but that's not really the seeding committee's fault - more of a result of how the Cowboys handled this weight + Jo's underperformance at conferences.

I agree that Marinelli has a tough bracket, but there's definitely a logic to the seeds. If you want to complain about the top seed at heavyweight, however, I'm all ears.

How is Wick not ahead of Shields when he beat him head to head? Where is the logic in that when head to head is valued ahead of qualifier placement?

Edited by russelscout

I also think that Smith getting a match under his belt after weigh ins(assuming he wins), will help him.  And as a Joseph fan, I would love not to have to face Marinelli in the finals.  Joseph beats everyone except him.

Edited by pennsyrules

This is about the worst case scenario for okie state. Joe Gets the pigtail AND Marinelli before the wrestle backs even start, ouch. Can’t help but wonder if John Smith wishes he had stuck with his 2x AA senior who had seeding criteria and wasn’t still getting acclimated to the weight. Then again, Smith likely knows a bit more than I do, and Joe pulling the upset would really give the tournament the kind of first round craziness we’re due for. This season has largely followed the script so far (for the record I’m still picking Marinelli)

44 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The worst seed in the whole tournament is Mason Parris at 5. WTF? 

Awful seed. It doesn’t help Parris much though, he’ll have to wrestle Jennings from Northwestern - who’s beaten him a few times. 

1 hour ago, pennsyrules said:

I also think that Smith getting a match under his belt after weigh ins(assuming he wins), will help him.  And as a Joseph fan, I would love not to have to face Marinelli in the finals.  Joseph beats everyone except him.

As a PT, Smith will wrestle two hrs after the initial weigh-in.  He'll be the first match on Mat 6.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

The worst seed in the whole tournament is Mason Parris at 5. WTF? 

True, he is not the 5th best guy at all. Too muck mileage from beating rusty out of shape Dhesi is his first match of the year.

5 hours ago, Underhook said:

This is about the worst case scenario for okie state. Joe Gets the pigtail AND Marinelli before the wrestle backs even start, ouch. Can’t help but wonder if John Smith wishes he had stuck with his 2x AA senior who had seeding criteria and wasn’t still getting acclimated to the weight. Then again, Smith likely knows a bit more than I do, and Joe pulling the upset would really give the tournament the kind of first round craziness we’re due for. This season has largely followed the script so far (for the record I’m still picking Marinelli)

I think Marinelli is unstoppable but would love to see Joe make a tournament run after all he and his family have gone through this past week. It will be a real uphill battle though - he’ll probably be pretty gassed out in his AM matches too.

5 hours ago, BLT said:

True, he is not the 5th best guy at all. Too muck mileage from beating rusty out of shape Dhesi is his first match of the year.

I thought this also but looked into it more:

1-0 vs 6th seed

1-0 vs 7th seed

1-1 vs 9th seed

2-0 vs 10th seed

He is 5-1 against the guys 6-10. His losses to Jennings and Jensen make it look bad for sure, but he has good wins. 

Edited by Regulator

Here’s how I look at it. The Bull gets the chance to put an AA from Oklahoma State in the consolation bracket it the first round followed by potential match-ups with at least 4 AA caliber guys with the 2x defending champion among them. Smith, Wick and the rest should be worried about this draw, not Marinelli. 

Should Alex win it all, he gets the OW.

1 hour ago, StallWarning said:

Why are people upset about the Wick seed?  Marinelli has beaten him three times this year.  What's the problem there?

The problem is the three victories came by a total of four points, and he has gotten dinged for stalling in all of them.  The big wildcard will be the ref in this potential matchup, and how that ref decides to call stalling.

Haven't read the full thread but The Bull gets Joe Smith after Smith makes scratch and has a rat-tail bout.  I think after a hard first period Smith should not be able to hang.  Don't see this as a huge injustice--dude took 5th in his conference and did not look stellar.

1 minute ago, Coach_J said:

Haven't read the full thread but The Bull gets Joe Smith after Smith makes scratch and has a rat-tail bout.  I think after a hard first period Smith should not be able to hang.  Don't see this as a huge injustice--dude took 5th in his conference and did not look stellar.

Also Smith couldn't get past a good collar from Hall. All Bull does is bring the heavy collar. I think Smith can't get past head hands of Bull or handle that much pressure and still get offense off. 

Joseph Smith didn't deserve a better seeding. He didn't have a great 174 or 165 resume this year. Are we projecting back two years to 157?

If Smith wins his pigtail Marinelli will chew him up easily.

27 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Haven't heard this term since I trimmed up the mullet back in third grade

Edited by bnwtwg

31 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

Joseph Smith didn't deserve a better seeding. He didn't have a great 174 or 165 resume this year. Are we projecting back two years to 157?

If Smith wins his pigtail Marinelli will chew him up easily.

So you think with 174 considered he belongs at #33?  You think 2 year old results are the only way to place him ahead of 6-9 Tyler Moralnd?