russelscout

How hard is seeding?

4 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

It's a pretty simple mathematical exercise, actually...

8cfa6161f8c4e134cd4e9f1e04bca4a5.jpg

Ok but this archaic system does not work. It has been very clear. Looks like a great idea, but does anyone test these things before hand or did someone say"Lets give 10% here 25% here and a dash over here for winning percentage"? A mathematical formula is only as useful as the logic behind its use. 

Edited by russelscout

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:
  • 10% How can we screw Iowa

It's a joke!

I was hoping they would try to screw psu. Not that it would change anything, but maybe atleast making things a little intriguing.  Oh well.

Just now, Molsen said:

I was hoping they would try to screw psu. Not that it would change anything, but maybe atleast making things a little intriguing.  Oh well.

We didn't get any Marinelli draws, but we got a couple tough ones. No sense crying about them. Just win. 

8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

We didn't get any Marinelli draws, but we got a couple tough ones. No sense crying about them. Just win. 

Thats all you can do. Honestly to be the best you have to beat the best. Draws can suck, I'm sure anyone who has wrestled has experienced a less then ideal draw. All you can do is beat who is in front of you. I'm sure Marinelli believes he is the bad draw for those other guys.

8 minutes ago, Molsen said:

Thats all you can do. Honestly to be the best you have to beat the best. Draws can suck, I'm sure anyone who has wrestled has experienced a less then ideal draw. All you can do is beat who is in front of you. I'm sure Marinelli believes he is the bad draw for those other guys.

Thats a good attitude to have as an athlete but it shouldn't happen that way for anyone. 

Having such a strict formula and eliminating the human eye test is a recipe for poor seedings. We saw that when Michael Carr was the #1 in the BTN at 141 . I laughed at that one when he was seeded above Nick Lee and Joey McKenna. 

27 minutes ago, spladle said:

I wish Cassar had a 4th seed.  Putting him on the same side as Steveson isn't what I hoped for.

A one-loss B1G champion... Other than White & Steveson, who did you have ahead of Cassar?

1 minute ago, DocBZ said:

Having such a strict formula and eliminating the human eye test is a recipe for poor seedings. We saw that when Michael Carr was the #1 in the BTN at 141 . I laughed at that one when he was seeded above Nick Lee and Joey McKenna. 

Carr was not seeded using this formula.  B1G supposedly has their own criteria, based on in-conference performance.

Edited by lu_alum

20 minutes ago, pish6969 said:

Really? Which ones? Other than Cassar with Gable in semis, I love our draws.

That was one that I think did not break our way. I'm not going to mention the other one that I didn't like because it is one match up and there really isn't any point in complaining anyway. The tournament is one week away and the complaint desk is CLOSED. Just win. 

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Iowa got some pretty good draws, IMO. but the bad one....holy crap.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

They did. You have to love Murin's draw given his seed. Can't do any better than that. 

It's not even the marinelli one. Seriously, is there anyone who really believes the current way of doing this is the best way it could be done? You can't make everyone happy. I get that, but is this the best way? I just think there has to be a better way than this system.

Just now, VakAttack said:

Lee, Desanto, Murin, Young, and Stoll all have good draws on first glance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep. So Marinelli got the crap draw, but HE is the crap draw. That is how you gotta look at it. He's Alex Damn Marinelli!! He'll win. 

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Yep. So Marinelli got the crap draw, but HE is the crap draw. That is how you gotta look at it. He's Alex Damn Marinelli!! He'll win. 

I love this take!   Well said.