russelscout

How hard is seeding?

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

They were thinking that White beat Cassar and also won his conference.

I understand that. But just put them on opposite sides. Sometimes you have a match that a lot of people want to see in the finals. I was on the state seeding committee. If there is a more inspirational finals matchup and all things were equal we took that into account. 

6 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

I understand that. But just put them on opposite sides. Sometimes you have a match that a lot of people want to see in the finals. I was on the state seeding committee. If there is a more inspirational finals matchup and all things were equal we took that into account. 

So you want to artificially manipulate seeds so the matches you most want to see happen when you most want to see them?  Why not just skip the bracket and have your matchup wrestle Saturday night since one of the less interesting guys might get in the way of your preferred matchup?

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Except one of those 2-time champs didn't wrestle at all last year which I'm sure is extremely rare.

Correct.  The error in the current points system to rank regional champs is that only the prior season is used to define "prestige points".  Negatively impacts former placewinners who missed the prior post-season due to injury or other reasons.  Freshmen are also at a disadvantage at the state tourney, as they have no prior season to demonstrate "prestige". 

My home district in PA also builds points for competing against someone who has "prestige" from the prior year.  i.e., if you beat a returning state PA champ, you get points.  you also earn points for losing to a returning place winner.  In a sense, it's a poor man's RPI.

If you want accurate seeding there is only one way to get it. Just the same as if you want flawless referreeing.

For reffing a match you need to be way up in the nosebleed seats, preferrably with a beer in hand and having downed at least three. Everyone knows that is how you get the best view and can make all the calls without fail.

For seeding - you get on these forums and pick the five loudest voices/posts and have them choose. Then you have it impartial and with great insight. Really helps if they have not seen a live match all year.

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

So you want to artificially manipulate seeds so the matches you most want to see happen when you most want to see them?  Why not just skip the bracket and have your matchup wrestle Saturday night since one of the less interesting guys might get in the way of your preferred matchup?

Of course I wouldn't want that but it is extremely naïve to not understand that there is some mild flexibility on the seeding committee and each person's opinions. I always tell my guys if you win seeds don't matter. It rarely happens where a committee will make an exception to make sure a certain matchup happens. If all things are equal sometimes we keep certain wrestlers separate if it makes for a very intriguing finals. Has always happened. Nothing new at all. Again I am fine with White being #1 seed. Just not how I would have seeded heavyweight.

This is from the Pittsburgh newspaper:

PENN STATE: Anthony Cassar, the Big Ten champ,is seeded second and will face Zack Parker (15-12) of Ohio.

TOP SEEDS: 1. Derek White, Oklahoma State; 2. Cassar; 3. Gable Steveson, Minnesota; 4. Jordan Wood, Lehigh.

THE SKINNY: Penn State’s only reason to complain about seedings is at 285, with Cassar not getting the top seed. But he lost 3-2 to White. And White lost 8-2 to Steveson, which confuses things. A lot of head scratching there.  So, the NCAA cleared up the confusion and this is what you have. In Cassar’s way to a semifinal rematch against Steveson are either Tate Orndorff of Utah Valley or Joey Goodhart (Hempfield) of Drexel, and possibly Youssif Hemida of Maryland and Amar Dhesi of Oregon State. An interesting first-round bout pits Billy Miller of Virginia Tech against Thomas Haines (Solanco) of Lock Haven. Iowa’s Sam Stoll is seeded No. 29. Anthony Pelusi of Franklin and Marshall is in a pigtail bout against Brandon Ngati of West Virginia.

Edited by PRyan2012