Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Cisero

Penn State has 3 #1 Seeds, 3 #2 Seeds and 1 #3 Seed

With 3 #1 Seeds, 3 #2 Seeds and 1 #3 Seed, Penn State will compete just 125 miles from home in front of a HUGE Penn State audience. Knowing the impact wrestling in front of local family and friends has on performance - especially at the Big Show, this could be one of PSU’s most dominating performances, ever.

Then again, one never knows who shows up and who does not.  Minimally, I expect to see a lot of blue-and-white singlet’s in the semis Friday evening.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

Plus Cael & company has to like where Berge & to a lesser extent RBY landed in the bracket - Berge has to go through Kolodzik who has seemed a bit off later this season and then Mauller a tough out but still a true freshman in his 1st NCAA tourney.  That is an ideal spot for Berge.  As for RBY there is no great spot in that 133 bracket but going through DeSanto and a possibly injured Micic may be his best path to the semis.  

1 hour ago, KTG119 said:

if I may add, Penn St is pretty good. 

Hey lu1979, do you remember 149lb’er James English out of the York PA area? He was injured many times throughout his career, yet, finished 7th at the 2014 NCAA championships. He even beat defending national champion Kendric Maple of Oklahoma 2-1 in overtime during the consies to earn a seventh-place All-America medal.

For me, that was one of the best come-back / feel-good stories of the year. A lot of emotions were spent as he ran off the mat towards Cael. Kinda got me welling up too!

Cassar at the 2 makes no sense to me. Cassar's bonus rate was higher by a decent margin, and he had more quality wins, including Gable. Gable was ranked 1st when Cassar beat him, and Cassar was like 4th when White beat him, so Gable was obviously the more quality win. Cassar  got shafted on that one.

7 minutes ago, mg113 said:

Cassar at the 2 makes no sense to me. Cassar's bonus rate was higher by a decent margin, and he had more quality wins, including Gable. Gable was ranked 1st when Cassar beat him, and Cassar was like 4th when White beat him, so Gable was obviously the more quality win. Cassar  got shafted on that one.

I wouldn’t say got shafted, it could’ve went either way.  In this scenario head to head won out. 

17 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I wouldn’t say got shafted, it could’ve went either way.  In this scenario head to head won out. 

Makes a lot of sense, but it still doesn't seem right. You beat the #1 guy, you win B10's, you should get the 1.

5 minutes ago, mg113 said:

Makes a lot of sense, but it still doesn't seem right. You beat the #1 guy, you win B10's, you should get the 1.

Not only that, but Cassar has numerous more top 10 wins than White has. That is not even close. 

28 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Not only that, but Cassar has numerous more top 10 wins than White has. That is not even close. 

And if Cassar got the 1 seed than OSU fans would be going nuts because of the head to head. With one loss each that’s what the committee decided. That is not even close to the worse seeding debacle 

59 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

But head to head didn't win out when comparing Steveson and White - the guy who won that match is seeded 3rd and the guy who lost is seeded 1st. Both have one loss. Steveson only gave up one takedown all season.

16 minutes ago, dpd926 said:

But head to head didn't win out when comparing Steveson and White - the guy who won that match is seeded 3rd and the guy who lost is seeded 1st. Both have one loss. Steveson only gave up one takedown all season.

This is why they should have relied on the other factors and not the head to head at Hwt. The head to head did not cause any separation, but the other factors would have. 

13 minutes ago, dpd926 said:

Recency bias - but not "bias" as in its usual sense of being "unfair."

IMO, Cassar should have been #1.

Cassar and White has similar records. However, Cassar had a better win. Further, Cassar’s sole loss was by a score of 2-3, while White’s sole loss was by a score of 2-8.

White’s only argument for the #1 seed is his head-to-head win over Cassar. However, the head-to-head argument could equally justify seeding White third, below both Cassar and Steveson.

I would like to know the reasoning behind seeding White #1.

Cassar beat Gable, Gable beat White, White beat Cassar, so they've all beaten each other. My guess is that they looked at the conference winners (Cassar and White) as the possible 1 seeds. Between these 2, White has a head to head win. Per Nomad's twitter, White finished #1 in the coaches rank, RPI, and quality win points.

I can see where everyone is coming from as across the board it does not seem like the committee used the same thought process across all the weights. In the same fashion, does it really matter if Cassar wrestles Gable Friday night or Saturday night? Since White beat Cassar you can't fairly say the two best are wrestling in the semi-finals. I doubt if Gable wins the rematch Cassar is going to say, man I wish I could have lost that match in the NCAA finals. Most likely he will be upset he lost at all.

7 minutes ago, Griff the BullRam said:

Cassar beat Gable, Gable beat White, White beat Cassar, so they've all beaten each other. My guess is that they looked at the conference winners (Cassar and White) as the possible 1 seeds. Between these 2, White has a head to head win. Per Nomad's twitter, White finished #1 in the coaches rank, RPI, and quality win points.

This is the way I looked at it.  With Gable losing last week at conferences, he was not in contention for the 1 seed.  That leaves White vs. Cassar, and White beat him head to head. I wouldn't pick him in a rematch, though, LOL (for tbar).  I think the winner of Gable-Cassar is the champ.

5 minutes ago, Griff the BullRam said:

To me, it seems odd that White got the #1 seed. 

White beat Cassar by one. Cassar beat Steveson by one. But then Steveson beat White by six. 

In order to seed these three you have to disregard one of those losses, and it seems odd to disregard the most decisive loss. 

10 minutes ago, Katie said:

To me, it seems odd that White got the #1 seed. 

White beat Cassar by one. Cassar beat Steveson by one. But then Steveson beat White by six. 

In order to seed these three you have to disregard one of those losses, and it seems odd to disregard the most decisive loss. 

So almost every non-PSU poster, the Coaches rank, the RPI, and the actual seeding committee all see White #1 as the preferred outcome of what is a tossup situation.  

And then shockingly every PSU guy sees it as definitively Cassar #1.  

I wonder what could account for such differing viewpoints.  

31 minutes ago, boconnell said:

So almost every non-PSU poster, the Coaches rank, the RPI, and the actual seeding committee all see White #1 as the preferred outcome of what is a tossup situation.  

And then shockingly every PSU guy sees it as definitively Cassar #1.  

I wonder what could account for such differing viewpoints.  

And yet everyone thinks Steveson is better than White.

Edited by Katie