NJDan

Chance's Chances

Chance Marsteller has two losses, one to Cenzo by one point, one to Shields in OT. He has wrestled a comparatively easy schedule. 

Does he have a realistic chance of getting to the finals, which would mean going through Marinelli, or even winning it all?

don't you know Marinelli is losing to Joe Smith or Mekhi Lewis before he'd have his chance vs Chance?

more seriously, I think he can give Marinelli a tough match but I'm not betting against the Bull making finals.  

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

Chance Marsteller has two losses, one to Cenzo by one point, one to Shields in OT. He has wrestled a comparatively easy schedule. 

Does he have a realistic chance of getting to the finals, which would mean going through Marinelli, or even winning it all?

I started a similar thread about Chance on Monday.

Like you said, he has one point OT losses to Cenzo and Shields. He also has a win over Chandler Rogers. Add family, friends and former HS coaches making the 3 1/2 hour journey from Central PA to Pittsburgh to sit in the stands to cheer their guy on and he may very well make it all the way.

Does the 4-time undefeated HS state champ / 2018 4th place AA / 2019 EWL OW have a chance at making it to the finals and possibly winning it all?

I say he does.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

I think Chance has a great chance to win the whole shibang. There's only a handful of guys at 165 who can beat Chance, and he's within shouting range of all those ahead of him if you get my drift. It wouldn't be a huge upset if Chance beat Marinelli, despite their records. It wouldn't be a huge upset if he beat Cenzo either, or Lewis. Is Chance the favorite? Hell no, but he's good enough that with a little luck, and if he gets hot, he could win it all.

Here's a cool potential matchup: Joe Smith vs Chance in the semifinals.

Edited by TobusRex

4 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I started a similar thread about Chance on Monday.

Like you said, he has one point OT losses to Cenzo and Shields. He also has a win over Chandler Rogers. Add family, friends and former HS coaches making the 3 1/2 hour journey from Central PA to Pittsburgh to sit in the stands to cheer their guy on and he may very well make it all the way.

Does the 4-time undefeated HS state champ / 2019 EWL OW have a chance at making it to the finals and possibly winning it all?

I say he does.

And 4th last year at 165

Chance is my pick to win NCAA's this year. It may be a bit of a homer pick, but I have always been a Chance fan and it would be awesome to see him finish his ride on top. Chance was beating Wick last year before the pin, and I think he might provide matchup issues for the Bull.

165 is loaded. Whoever comes out on top will have earned it. 

To win a title, Marsteller would most likely have to beat Brolsma, Campbell, Wick, Marinelli, and Joseph. 

Edited by Katie

47 minutes ago, Gantry said:

IIRC he was beating Wick pretty handily at NCAAs before getting pinned, am I remembering that right?

He was in complete control through the first period (up 4-2 I believe with 2 takedowns). Then either he chose down or Wick chose top and Wick cradled him up and pinned him. This was before everyone realized that Wick had that kind of cradling ability. I think Chance is a tough match up for Wick, assuming Chance can prevent from being cradled which most of the top 15 guys at 165 seem to have figured out.

I also think he could be a tough match up for Marinelli, especially if he can get to his left side underhook consistently. That would completely shut down Marinelli's offense if he can get to it and also open up some scoring opportunities. Was Imar able to get to his underhook against Marinelli last year? I can't remember.

Whew, I am filling out my brackets and I just can’t get over Marinelli’s draw. More than likely smith, Mekhi, wick/marstellar. I honestly think he is probably the best wrestler at the weight but that is a tough tough road to get to the finals. I will happily eat crow but I just can’t see him navigating that. Yeesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Whew, I am filling out my brackets and I just can’t get over Marinelli’s draw. More than likely smith, Mekhi, wick/marstellar. I honestly think he is probably the best wrestler at the weight but that is a tough tough road to get to the finals. I will happily eat crow but I just can’t see him navigating that. Yeesh.

Super rough bracket for a #1 seed.

On 3/14/2019 at 9:48 AM, KTG119 said:

don't you know Marinelli is losing to Joe Smith or Mekhi Lewis before he'd have his chance vs Chance?

more seriously, I think he can give Marinelli a tough match but I'm not betting against the Bull making finals.  

Pretty sure I’m the only person picking Mekhi over Marinelli

5 hours ago, JBluegill133 said:

It's also likely Viruet, who took Marinelli to OT at the Midlands in round 2, if he beats Jojo.

6 hours ago, Cruocified said:

If Tyler can knock off both Fogarty and Wick, then I'll take Chance over Marinelli in the quarters.

If Chance meets Marinelli it'll be either the semifinals or in the consos somewhere.

On 3/14/2019 at 2:45 PM, Katie said:

165 is loaded. Whoever comes out on top will have earned it. 

To win a title, Marsteller would most likely have to beat Brolsma, Campbell, Wick, Marinelli, and Joseph. 

Hard but not impossible.   Last year was a hard weight too and he lost to Martinez, beat Lewis, McFadden, Rogers and was beating Wick 4-1 before picking down and getting cradled.   

I think Mekhi Lewis will win tbis weight, so i could see Marstellar with a similar finish to last year (3-5 finish is my guess)