Getting out ahead of this and identifying these now so I can come back and brag about how smart I am if they do happen, and completely ignore how wrong I was when they inevitably don't.  Picking one upset in the first or second round at each weight.

125) #15 Sean Fausz over #2 Nick Piccininni  -- Fausz beat Picc pretty easily last year.  New year, new Picc, but still.  
133) #13 Austin Gomez over #4 Micky Phillipi -- feel like I'm never giving Micky enough credit... this is more about Gomez though. 
141) Anyone in the bracket over #6 Mikey Carr -- does Mikey Carr have dirt on the seeding committee?  In what world is this guy the 6 seed?  
149) #20 Tommy Thorn over #13 Artalona and #4 Mauller -- not really feeling this one, but Thorn did look surprisingly good at Big 10's.  
157) #14 Zach Hartman over #3 Ryan Deakin -- Deakin is the 3 seed?  After last weekend?  Am I taking crazy pills? 
165) #13 Andrew Fogarty over #4 Evan Wick -- Upset Around the Bend... he'll be Fortunate (he) Won
174) #12 Matt Finesilver over #5 Jordan Kutler -- classic 12/5 mathcup
184) #26 Dakota Geer over #7 Nick Reenan -- Sticking Geer at 26 is absolutely criminal, and Reenan hasn't looked right since 2018.  Entire 184 bracket is downright stupid.  
197) #14 Eric Schultz over #3 Preston Weigel -- Schultz is a goer... he's going to need a 2 TD advantage to win though, which is a big ask. 
285) #12 Jennings over #5 Parris -- I mean, this has already happened 3 times.  Have you ever seen someone work harder than Conan Jennings' singlet?  Thing is so tight, looks like it's dangerously close to calling it quits, taking it's ball, and going home

That's all I got.  Any early round sneaky tough matchups for guys seeded in the top 8 that I didn't mention?

I love bracket landmines! 

125: trying to figure out if Zeke Moisey is a landmine. His shoulder was clearly hurt at Big Tens and people were saying it popped out, so who knows if he'll be good to go next week. He's got Ryan Milhof who I think could give Spencer Lee a little bit of a scare, given the way he's wrestled Ronnie Bresser in the past, and if he can wear Lee down from on top.

133: Josh Terao, and I also think Tariq could take out the Backpack in the second round match. Gomez over Phillipi is a smart pick, but I think Micky might have an advantage simply by being able to wake up in his own bed and wrestle at "home".

141: Max Murin's chances of wrecking the bracket increase with distance from weigh-in time. If he can win his first match, I'd take him in the Thursday evening match against Mike Carr.

149: similar to Murin's situation, I think Berge will wrestle better in the evening and could knock off Klodz in a #12 vs. #5 upset.

157: no idea, but it would be funny if Tyler Berger actually does take 5 heads home with him because he wrestles through the consi bracket. 

165: don't know much about him but I hope Tyler Marinelli becomes the Marinelli everyone talks about at 165.

174: Mike Labriola over Jacobe Smith.

184: no idea, but I don't think we'll see Shak-MyMar in the final.

197: Tanner Orndorff over Preston Weigel just bc he's related to Rulon and maybe he has that upset gene.

Hwt: or maybe it'll be Tate Orndorff over Anthony Cassar.

Edited by pamela

42 minutes ago, pamela said:

133: Josh Terao, and I also think Tariq could take out the Backpack in the second round match. Gomez over Phillipi is a smart pick, but I think Micky might have an advantage simply by being able to wake up in his own bed and wrestle at "home".

157: no idea, but it would be funny if Tyler Berger actually does take 5 heads home with him because he wrestles through the consi bracket. 

The Terao's have a history of making some noise at NCAAs.  Well... his brother did at least.  And I didn't think about Pitt having some hometown juice--seemed to work wonders for the Gophers last weekend.

Apparently Berger said "one more" to Nolf after their match at Big 10's.  One more what?  One more one-sided ass kicking?  I don't even think this guys' teammates like him.  Hope Larry  takes him out in the quarters.  

12 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

Agreed. Depending on Stoll's health I could see a run to the semi's for him.

Especially if Jennings takes out Parris for the 4th time. Stoll has owned Jennings. If he knocks off Wood, watch out. I'm trying to figure out if the Aven match is a huge anomaly right now. Other than that match, Stoll has looked pretty solid, though not quite his usual self. 

Landmine: Vito Arujau

Champ: Spencer Lee

Coming off a loss in the EIWA finals to Glory, I think Arujau steps it up at the big dance and takes out Rivera in the quater-finals. I think his luck ends there though and Bresser shuts his offense down in the semis. On the other side, Lee realizes he still knows how to wrestle and shows everyone whe he's still the man. 

Landmine: Montorie Bridges

Champ: Suriano

I think (12) Montorie Bridges finds ways to win when it matters most and takes out (5) Pletcher and (4) Phillipi to make the semis, where he'll lose to Fix. 

If Micic is Infact injured give me Desanto, who will make the semis but drop another one to Suriano.

In a rematch of the most boring "match of the century" ever, Suriano finally finishes a takedown against an elite opponent and becomes a National Champ.

Landmine: (14) Jamel Morris

Champ: (1) Yianni

Why not? Morris looks great at times, then will take a head-scratching loss. I can see him being like teammate Wilson was, last year and stringing together a few big wins. Going bold here, I'll say he takes out (4) Nick Lee and (2) Mckenna, who decides to not open up as a senior in the NCAA semis. Yianni then majors him in the finals.

Landmine: (8) Degen/(4) Mauller

Champ: (4) Mauller

I don't know if a 4 or 8 seed can be considered a landmine but I think Ash has a mental lapse and Degen slips by him. Mauller mauls on his way to the finals and takes out Micah. (I would love to see Finesilver make the finals)

Landmine: (1) Nolf

Champ: (1) Nolf

The only way Nolf loses is if he somehow beats himself or decides he actually hates wrestling and ffts out. 

Landmine: (13) Fogarty, NDSU

Champ: (1) Marinelli

I think he's right there. Fogarty takes out (4) Wick but loses to (5) Marstellar in the quaters. This weight is pretty brutal. I have a feeling we'll be talking about this bracket the same way we speak about 149 from 2008. White (aa), Wick(aa), Marstellar(aa), Massa, Shields(aa), Lewis (jr world champ), Cenzo(2x champ), Marinelli (aa), Smith (2 aa). Then I'd put the next tier at Ashworth, Fogarty, Romero,Viruet, Campbell and Bullard who aren't slouches, either. 

Landmine: (12) Finesilver

Champ: (3) Valencia

I said in my other post, I like the Finesilvers. Hope this one can sneak into the semis. He'll lose to Hall there but he'll def have earned the AA. I'd like to see a confident Zahid put a takedown clinic on Mark Hall in the finals, only cause Hall's defense is so elite.

Landmine: (26...wtf?!) Geer

Champ: (1) Martin

Who seeded Dakota at 26 and why? Anyway, O think he takes out (2) Shakur in the quaters. Him vs ZZ in the semis would be a good one. Unfortunately, I think everyone at 184 is a step or two behind Martin.

Landmine: (13) Mcdonald, (14) Schultz

Champ: (1) Nickal

Hwy

Landmine: (11) Haines

Champ: (3) Steveson

Haines last chance to be an AA, in his hometown..he finally gets it done. 

42 minutes ago, Cementmixer103 said:

Champ: (4) Mauller

I don't know if a 4 or 8 seed can be considered a landmine but I think Ash has a mental lapse and Degen slips by him. Mauller mauls on his way to the finals and takes out Micah. (I would love to see Finesilver make the finals)

Not sure what you're smoking, but I like it.

17 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Hey, if he forfeits out he can guarantee himself an undefeated season.  What an achievement!

Plus if the NCAA seeding committee has any input, it will guarantee he wins the hodge! They obviously don’t penalize for forfeiting out

16 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Plus if the NCAA seeding committee has any input, it will guarantee he wins the hodge! They obviously don’t penalize for forfeiting out

Who cares about a Big 10 title when you can win an NCAA title... and who cares about an NCAA title when you can win the Hodge... and who cares about a hodge trophy when the end goal is an Olympic gold medal?  Why do people even compete when what they're achieving isn't intergalactic domination?

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight said:

If Wilson beats Lizak he could make the Suriano match interesting.  

As a coach,  Wilson is the one kid I would be on the edge of my seat as a coach the entire match.  He has all of the quick finish potentials of Gomez, only with more leverage, more experience, and better fundamental game.  Making his quick finishes less predictable.  I think he is the best BOOM it's over guy in the country not named BO.  

45 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

When’s the last time Stoll made a run to or from anything ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to the ER after shooting himself in the knee?

3 hours ago, Cementmixer103 said:

Hwy

Landmine: (11) Haines

Champ: (3) Steveson

Haines last chance to be an AA, in his hometown..he finally gets it done. 

What part of Pittsburgh is Quarryville in? Near Squirrel Hill? South of the Mon? Gotta love how someone who likely bitches about being called Flyover Country doesn't bother to distinguish between Eagles/Phillies territory and Steelers/Pirates country.

46 minutes ago, RichB said:

What part of Pittsburgh is Quarryville in? Near Squirrel Hill? South of the Mon? Gotta love how someone who likely bitches about being called Flyover Country doesn't bother to distinguish between Eagles/Phillies territory and Steelers/Pirates country.

Aww. Having a bad day, bud?

"Gotta love how someone who likely bitches about being called Flyover Country"

..but I live in Manhattan.

Edited by Cementmixer103
Laughs