Kentucky_Mudflap

Tommy and Terry 4th is the new 1st

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

the new thing is that Iowa is on the verge of needing a complete reboot. 

The link to gable is gone, its time for them to abandon the legacy and become underdogs...at least if they want to be national champions. They think they are carrying the flame but they aren't.

We shall see.  I'm willing to give them until the end of Lee's time,  If they don't win at least one, I'll be for the reboot as well.

8 hours ago, russelscout said:

This had you actually laughing out loud? I guess when the well ran dry in Iowa, Brands were just supposed to open the gates and guys were supposed to run in from PA and OH. It's not like they have anyone out there to compete with with in recruiting. 

He had a head start on Cael and Tom Ryan. Brands had already won his national titles. So he already had built in equity with wrestlers around the country. The had a poster boy in metcalf. Just like David taylor was for penn state. So there was no reason for them to not realize the type of recruits he needed. 

I wouldn't feel too  bad for Cryowa:

• Lee, DeSanto - unless he pulls some crap this week in Pittsburgh, The Bull, and Kemmerer.  That foursome is not a horrible place to start next year.   All 4 will be in stacked weights though.   
  • Cassioppi will be an able replacement for a guy who has really been physically decimated. 
  • Throw in Murin, Lugo, Warner, Wilcke.  A few transfers perhaps and this team is right in the mix.

Sad to see this year has only 8 days left. 

41 minutes ago, Bigboi Trained said:

He had a head start on Cael and Tom Ryan. Brands had already won his national titles. So he already had built in equity with wrestlers around the country.

Now do you mean from the time that they started coaching in general? Because Ryan really got a head start. If you are talking about at their current school, Ryan and Brands came to their current school the same year. Cael went to PSU in 2009-2010... Iowa won a title that year. Neat point Bigboi, but completely false.

44 minutes ago, Bigboi Trained said:

The had a poster boy in metcalf. Just like David taylor was for penn state.

Is this supposed to be part of the argument or did you just think this would be fun to point that out?

45 minutes ago, Bigboi Trained said:

So there was no reason for them to not realize the type of recruits he needed.

Yeah, I'm sure Tom Brands wasn't at home 1 day and saying "Hey, what if I go with the best guys nationally?"

Iowa won titles with guys from the state. McD, Slaton, Borschel, Leclere, M*, Beatty. Not all those guys were #1 in their class. That approach started biting them in the butt when guys like Jake Marlin don't pan out. Brands have never been against recruiting out of state.  Metcalf is from Michigan. Phil Keddy is from UT. Dan Dennis from IL. Bobby Telford is from DE

Now their entire lineup is from Pennsylvania, Ohio and 1 Iowa guy. Thats not a few guys here and there. Thats a huge change. I'm sure in all your wisdom Bigboi, you'll say"Why didn't they always do that?" To which I would ask, what do you think is harder, getting a PA recruit to stay in PA or getting him to go to the lush corn fields of Iowa? Why didn't Cael just recruit PA from Iowa St? Do you think he realized that the type of recruits he needed? 

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Now do you mean from the time that they started coaching in general? Because Ryan really got a head start. If you are talking about at their current school, Ryan and Brands came to their current school the same year. Cael went to PSU in 2009-2010... Iowa won a title that year. Neat point Bigboi, but completely false.

Is this supposed to be part of the argument or did you just think this would be fun to point that out?

Yeah, I'm sure Tom Brands wasn't at home 1 day and saying "Hey, what if I go with the best guys nationally?"

Iowa won titles with guys from the state. McD, Slaton, Borschel, Leclere, M*, Beatty. Not all those guys were #1 in their class. That approach started biting them in the butt when guys like Jake Marlin don't pan out. Brands have never been against recruiting out of state.  Metcalf is from Michigan. Phil Keddy is from UT. Dan Dennis from IL. Bobby Telford is from DE

Now their entire lineup is from Pennsylvania, Ohio and 1 Iowa guy. Thats not a few guys here and there. Thats a huge change. I'm sure in all your wisdom Bigboi, you'll say"Why didn't they always do that?" To which I would ask, what do you think is harder, getting a PA recruit to stay in PA or getting him to go to the lush corn fields of Iowa? Why didn't Cael just recruit PA from Iowa St? Do you think he realized that the type of recruits he needed? 

First of all I’m not bagging brands I’m making fun of the excuses Iowa fans make. Tom had a head start in that he won a title first. 

Now with metcalf being the poster boy. If you don’t think David taylor did not have a big effect on penn state recruiting then you are crazy. I’m sure metcalf did also. But David seems way more personable then metcalf.

i know he won with Iowa boys. That why I said he didn’t have to take the bad Iowa wrestlers. Again I’m not bagging on Brands I’m bagging on the excuses. Brands bro seem like no excuse guys but the Iowa fans seems to have plenty of them. You can’t win them all. Penn state time will come to and end. Then I will make fun of their fans excuses. Do be so sensitive. You can’t fight every Iowa battle on these boards. Unless you are Eustice or morning*

11 hours ago, russelscout said:

Hasnt this been covered on this site every month or so? I'm sure you thought this was a ground breaking observation, but frankly I am sick of repeating myself.

Never claimed it to be groundbreaking, but thanks for assuming what I think.  People have short memories.  Just a reminder.  You don't like it, your problem.

First of all I’m not bagging brands I’m making fun of the excuses Iowa fans make. Tom had a head start in that he won a title first. 

Now with metcalf being the poster boy. If you don’t think David taylor did not have a big effect on penn state recruiting then you are crazy. I’m sure metcalf did also. But David seems way more personable then metcalf.

i know he won with Iowa boys. That why I said he didn’t have to take the bad Iowa wrestlers. Again I’m not bagging on Brands I’m bagging on the excuses. Brands bro seem like no excuse guys but the Iowa fans seems to have plenty of them. You can’t win them all. Penn state time will come to and end. Then I will make fun of their fans excuses. Do be so sensitive. You can’t fight every Iowa battle on these boards. Unless you are Eustice or morning*

This whole thread was started by someone bagging on the Brands. You swooped in and continued it by hating on Iowa fans for defending Brands. It appears you will only be happy if everyone including Iowa fans bag on him.

You bet David Taylor made a big effect on Cael's recruiting. Your acknowledging everything Iowa fans are saying. The recruiting demographics have changed. There has been an accumulation of talent at one school. That is not an excuse. It is a fact. 

Remember that these defenses coming from Hawkeye fans against the countless trolls like yourself. Call them excuses all you want, but there is a lot of truth behind what Iowa fans are saying. No one is screaming in the middle of a field for no one to listen. People like yourself get a kick out of saying Brands needs to be fired, but to say that you have to ignore a lot of variables and the landscape of the sport. If you can't see that the Brands have done a lot to maintain the Iowa program in a tumultuous time then you are not paying attention. If Iowa was to let go of the Brands at this time it would be a huge risk. Taking on a coach who has no resume or recruiting pipeline outside the state of Iowa is a tall task, and Iowa risks a lot if they don't continue to maintain. 

Do be so sensitive. You can’t fight every Iowa battle on these boards. Unless you are Eustice or morning*

Don't expect to say something stupid and not get a response from the people you are attacking. I don't view myself as fighting Iowa's battles. I see myself as attacking you for simple minded thinking. 

Edited by russelscout

4 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Never claimed it to be groundbreaking, but thanks for assuming what I think.  People have short memories.  Just a reminder.  You don't like it, your problem.

Yeah, I am sure that was just a friendly reminder for everyone Coach_J. I bet it wasn't an attempt to go down the Zalesky/Brands rabbit hole. You don't like being called out for being a troll, stop trolling. 

12 hours ago, DuckFor2 said:

Regardless, not sure if it’s Brands or the Iowa mystique that keeps the PA greats pipeline open? Lot of great schools close to Pennsylvania so what’s the drawing them to Iowa, Tom Brands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it's not like Iowa isn't objectively a top 5 program year in and year out with 2 legendary coaches and by most accounts one of the best recruiters in the country (Morningstar). The only reason we're having this discussion is because Brands has to try to live up to the impossible standard Gable set. Cael's successor will face the same issue. It's not a reasonable standard, but it's understandable why Iowa fans are frustrated. 

Yeah, I am sure that was just a friendly reminder for everyone Coach_J. I bet it wasn't an attempt to go down the Zalesky/Brands rabbit hole. You don't like being called out for being a troll, stop trolling. 

Made an observation that obviously strikes a sensitive nerve for you; you can travel down any hole you please.  Again, your problem, not mine.

1 minute ago, Coach_J said:

Made an observation that obviously strikes a sensitive nerve for you; you can travel down any hole you please.  Again, your problem, not mine.

I'm not sensitive to it. If anything I like the banter. If I didn't I'd be over at HR. 

This whole thread was started by someone bagging on the Brands. You swooped in and continued it by hating on Iowa fans for defending Brands. It appears you will only be happy if everyone including Iowa fans bag on him.

You bet David Taylor made a big effect on Cael's recruiting. Your acknowledging everything Iowa fans are saying. The recruiting demographics have changed. There has been an accumulation of talent at one school. That is not an excuse. It is a fact. 

Remember that these defenses coming from Hawkeye fans against the countless trolls like yourself. Call them excuses all you want, but there is a lot of truth behind what Iowa fans are saying. No one is screaming in the middle of a field for no one to listen. People like yourself get a kick out of saying Brands needs to be fired, but to say that you have to ignore a lot of variables and the landscape of the sport. If you can't see that the Brands have done a lot to maintain the Iowa program in a tumultuous time then you are not paying attention. If Iowa was to let go of the Brands at this time it would be a huge risk. Taking on a coach who has no resume or recruiting pipeline outside the state of Iowa is a tall task, and Iowa risks a lot if they don't continue to maintain. 

Don't expect to say something stupid and not get a response from the people you are attacking. I don't view myself as fighting Iowa's battles. I see myself as attacking you for simple minded thinking. 

I never said fire brands. I don’t think he should be fired. So I’m a troll for for typing facts. 

2 minutes ago, Bigboi Trained said:

I never said fire brands. I don’t think he should be fired. So I’m a troll for for typing facts. 

First of all I said people like you. How did I come to that conclusion? You came onto a thread where the theme is fire brands and you bashed on Iowa fans for defending Brands. Thats not a huge leap bud.

The tides have turned on old mudflap.  His reel family in the worlds oldest and gratest sport have turned against him.  Not unlike Iowa, he's now an underdog.

Re: Brands, I think it's perfectly reasonable to think he's a great coach, and also think that what he's been able to produce since 2010 is not good enough.  Tom, and to an even greater extent Terry, tend to attract a specific type of kid as a recruit.  The landscape has evolved, and Tom was slow to adapt.  He's made references to changing his approach in the past as it relates to recruits and image.  I thought Spencer Lee was proof positive of an adjusted approach paying off, which is also why his success is so crucial for them.  Agree with Vak on that front--if they don't win a title during Spencer's career, it's time for a change.  

4 hours ago, headache said:

Mudflap needs to find a new gig. He's predictable, boring, and no longer funny.

you couldn't be more wrong. he is bringing it STRONGER than ever. He is great. just because you are a humorless dolt, don't try to bring us all down!!

1 minute ago, TFBJR said:

RusselScout is definitely T-Bar's cousin from Iowa. 

6'2"  230 white hair, Rutgers shirt.  If you see me I'll buy you a beer to cry in. 

It might have to wait til next years natty's to hit you up for that beer. I won't be in Pittsburgh :'(