Jump to content
Crash

If only Flo cared 10% as much about Streaming Quality as Seedings

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Crotalus said:

I have not ever subscribed to flo due to the negative reactions I see about their service. I know it is ridiculous to compare them to the juggernaut that is ESPN, but when I can stream 8 mats at once during the NCAA tournament without issue, I know the ability to consistently stream 1 match should not be that difficult to achieve. It is not worth it to me to pay into the service, hoping that it will one day become reliable. That said, I am rooting for them and hope they figure it out. Once they do, I'm in.

So, ESPN has never had any issues? There have been times I am watching on the ESPN app for one reason or another as opposed to the cable channel and I have had to refresh the stream or I lose connection, it happens. Flo's services offer way more than just live streaming. At the end of the day it is your money and your decision, but is it fair to judge them for a product you yourself have never really tried?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crotalus said:

I have not ever subscribed to flo due to the negative reactions I see about their service. I know it is ridiculous to compare them to the juggernaut that is ESPN, but when I can stream 8 mats at once during the NCAA tournament without issue, I know the ability to consistently stream 1 match should not be that difficult to achieve. It is not worth it to me to pay into the service, hoping that it will one day become reliable. That said, I am rooting for them and hope they figure it out. Once they do, I'm in.

People live stream stuff on Facebook and Youtube all the time. The backbone for much of this is already in place and is used with near perfection everyday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i buffer more vids off of youtube than i ever do on FLO... 

everytime i see all these complaints, i always wonder why i literally never have these issues... then after a couple of seconds i remember how average most people are and the vast majority of their problems/issues can inevitably be traced right back to the mirror...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LJB said:

i buffer more vids off of youtube than i ever do on FLO... 

 

I watch Youtube all the time, rarely and I mean very rarely, is there even an issue. I watch Youtube more than TV for crying out loud and I bet in the last 6 months I haven't had a single technical issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LJB said:

i buffer more vids off of youtube than i ever do on FLO... 

everytime i see all these complaints, i always wonder why i literally never have these issues... then after a couple of seconds i remember how average most people are and the vast majority of their problems/issues can inevitably be traced right back to the mirror...

It helps if you aren't trying to stream on a 56k modem using your Commodore 64.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is astounding how bad FLO is on streaming video for things like the B1G championships.

That's why I also keep subscribed to BTN2GO plus through March.  

If one fails, then often the other is working.  It's the only way to really get to watch the wrestling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LJB said:

i buffer more vids off of youtube than i ever do on FLO... 

everytime i see all these complaints, i always wonder why i literally never have these issues... then after a couple of seconds i remember how average most people are and the vast majority of their problems/issues can inevitably be traced right back to the mirror...

It's not just the user in all cases.  I often have to alternate on which one is working better for that particular evening, either BTN2GO or FLO.  

I certainly have no trouble streaming all the other services I have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BobDole said:

It helps if you aren't trying to stream on a 56k modem using your Commodore 64.

56K?

i remember when that was a serious upgrade...

of course, my first computer had 4K internal memory... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Zebra said:

I watch Youtube all the time, rarely and I mean very rarely, is there even an issue. I watch Youtube more than TV for crying out loud and I bet in the last 6 months I haven't had a single technical issue. 

i haven't had cable in over a decade... i stream all my content... i buffer youtube live streams and also just regular vids... i'm not talking for long, but, it happens all the time... 

i have no more issue with FLO than i do with anything else I stream... the netflix... the HBOs...

even the infamous OSU dual from a couple of years ago i had no issues with other than a little buffering at times... no more than 5 seconds at any one time... of course i got in early because i am not a hillbilly...

but, whatever...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LJB said:

i haven't had cable in over a decade... i stream all my content... i buffer youtube live streams and also just regular vids... i'm not talking for long, but, it happens all the time... 

i have no more issue with FLO than i do with anything else I stream... the netflix... the HBOs...

even the infamous OSU dual from a couple of years ago i had no issues with other than a little buffering at times... no more than 5 seconds at any one time... of course i got in early because i am not a hillbilly...

but, whatever...

 

You must have crappy high-speed internet in your area. I stream 4K stuff everyday and never, and I do mean never have an issue.   

 

 

I do have to add a caveat here. If I am in my basement on my old laptop, which I use for recording music, I can run into download issues, but that is an antiquated hardware issue I accept since 95% of the time it is not used on the internet. 

Edited by Zebra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zebra said:

You must have crappy high-speed internet in your area. I stream 4K stuff everyday and never, and I do mean never have an issue.   

my internet is so crappy i never have an issue with flo... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LJB said:

my internet is so crappy i never have an issue with flo... 

While a funny comment (I've got to give you that one) I do not ever have issues with any of the major streaming services. Practically instant start, no buffering, nothing at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"practically" instant start, huh?

or, is that 2 seconds of buffering just not a big enough deal to whine to youtube about?

is the quality drop on a live stream post fight press conference for 7 seconds at 1:30 am not a big enough deal to post on the I HATE YOUTUBE!!!! thread of some anonymous BBS?

the fact of the matter is FLO representatives post here, so, the plebians think they can mewl and make an impact... just because they like to mewl about everything... 

check comments on anything that is dumb enough to allow them... cesspools everywhere because a keyboard lets people think their silly opinions matter...

 

again, for anyone on the fence, no issues with FLO here... and i watch more of it than most... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I love about the debate on the quality/lack of quality of Flo's streaming is when people attack the messenger.

We can all agree the streaming sucks. It is not my computer equipment, internet connection, and or weather conditions. Turns out when the person who is recording the match is not paying attention and is filming the corner of the mat and not the action in the middle, it does not matter what my connection speed is. Yes a better connection speed will allow me to stream that crap smoother, but it will always be the corner of the mat.

Oh and just because Flo does a lot for wrestling does not mean I can't complain when the service I pay for does not deliver. ESPN does a lot for wrestling when they decide to air every session of the NCAA tournament. Nonetheless, I can still criticize them for not writing more wrestling articles during the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The connectivity issues suck, but at least they post the matches so you can watch it later. I actually wish Flo would go back to making matches free to watch after a period of time, like a week later or something like they used to. In general sports videos are most valuable when they are broadcast live or right after the fact, then down the road as archival footage when someone wants to review it later.

Like the paywall is fine, but if they made their videos free (maybe in SD instead of HD) for the period of say, 2 weeks after an event until 2 months after an event, it could help grow Flo viewership and interest in the sport. It would also help with customer satisfaction, cut down on content piracy, and if Flo bookended their vids with ads they could generate revenue even during the free period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is nitpicky, but I really thought they should have released Askren's documentary on Youtube to drive interest in wrestling and Flo. There was a 1 week window there where he was all the talk in MMA. I feel like they missed an opportunity to bring over crossover attention by not doing something like that. Oh well, I don't actually know much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, russelscout said:

This is nitpicky, but I really thought they should have released Askren's documentary on Youtube to drive interest in wrestling and Flo. There was a 1 week window there where he was all the talk in MMA. I feel like they missed an opportunity to bring over crossover attention by not doing something like that. Oh well, I don't actually know much. 

Very good point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LJB said:

"practically" instant start, huh?

or, is that 2 seconds of buffering just not a big enough deal to whine to youtube about?

 

That is no different than the slight propagation delay when I select a different channel with my remote. It is so short and after the propagation delay I don't have any further delays so for all practical purposes it runs to perfection. Plus it's way less than 2 seconds. 

I simply cannot remember the last time I had any in-stream buffering on any major service, especially in my current house. It might be more than a year since I had any.   

Now pop-up adds on basic Youtube are a pain but those are on uploaded stuff not live streams.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to assume that they are not trying to provide what people view as a bad product.  I see very few problems with the stream  and enjoy their content.  

I always enjoy when people jump on board and say "I don't subscribe" because of "XX".  Key word if you don't JOIN quit complaining!

Quick story, we had a racetrack that everyone complained about and now it's closed.  Figure out the moral of that story.  

If it's gone what would anyone have to complain about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stchrist said:

I would have to assume that they are not trying to provide what people view as a bad product.  I see very few problems with the stream  and enjoy their content.  

I always enjoy when people jump on board and say "I don't subscribe" because of "XX".  Key word if you don't JOIN quit complaining!

Quick story, we had a racetrack that everyone complained about and now it's closed.  Figure out the moral of that story.  

If it's gone what would anyone have to complain about. 

Yeah, but if it wasn't for complaining, our post totals would be cut in half. Its all we have man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zebra said:

That is no different than the slight propagation delay when I select a different channel with my remote. It is so short and after the propagation delay I don't have any further delays so for all practical purposes it runs to perfection. Plus it's way less than 2 seconds. 

I simply cannot remember the last time I had any in-stream buffering on any major service, especially in my current house. It might be more than a year since I had any.   

Now pop-up adds on basic Youtube are a pain but those are on uploaded stuff not live streams.  

30 minutes ago i had a buddy send me a youtube link over skype... when i clicked the link it just hourglassed for WELL over 15 seconds... i had to shut that window down AND reclick the link just to get the video to load... 

YOUTUBE SUKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LJB said:

30 minutes ago i had a buddy send me a youtube link over skype... when i clicked the link it just hourglassed for WELL over 15 seconds... i had to shut that window down AND reclick the link just to get the video to load... 

YOUTUBE SUKS!!!!!!!!!!!

That would Skype and I agree with you, it sucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×