Crash

If only Flo cared 10% as much about Streaming Quality as Seedings

As smart as Willie, CP, Nomad and Bratke are, there is very little they can do to improve the quality of the wrestling streams. 

I don't know how to succinctly explain what's going on to improve the streaming but a lot of really smart people are working really hard on the issue all the time. I wish the streams were perfect all the time too, (as do Willie, CP, Nomad, Bratke, et al). We all are incredibly bummed when things go wrong. As the company grows we'll be able to invest more money and people power into making them even better. Sorry if this sounds like the canned response of a shill, but I hope you believe me anyway!

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I wish the streams were perfect all the time too, (as do Willie, CP, Nomad, Bratke, et al).

Nonsense. You speak as if you think Flo detractors expect perfection.

In, like, all domains other than documentaries the Flo product is basic. Flo has premium pricing, premium catalog but it puts forth a basic product. And that's on a good day! Flo not even in sniffing distance of 'perfect'.

In the past two friggin' weeks we've seen reports that Flo streaming of late is flaky, Flo sign-up page is sketchy, Flo customer service is godawful. In the past two friggin' weeks we've seen Flo's already-bad social media ""strategy"" fall even further -- e.g., those silly cloze posts ("Spencer Lee will place ___ in the B1G"); words-as-graphics posts, which have ugly typography and which have zero compatibility with Web Accessibility technology... Do you folks really think it's a good look for you to copy-crop-n-paste Wikipedia 'medal record' tables?

You say this person so smart and that person so smart and your other colleague so smart too. Why then childlike social media, shoddy customer service, sketchy sign-up page? Prior sentence gives three targets for improvement! I trust you smart folks can take it from here...

Or sure, I guess you can blame Willie, CP, Nomad and Bratke for any streaming problems you experience if you want. 

Defiant, dismissive, deflecting, disingenuous. It's not just one person who's seen flaky streaming. Do better, man?!

As the company grows we'll be able to invest more money and people power into making them even better.

LOL. LOL.

Edited by jon
I just had to add a second 'LOL'!

7 minutes ago, jon said:

In the past two friggin' weeks we've seen Flo's already-bad social media ""strategy"" fall even further -- e.g., those silly cloze posts ("Spencer Lee will place ___ in the B1G"); words-as-graphics posts, which have ugly typography and which have zero compatibility with Web Accessibility technology... Do you folks really think it's a good look for you to copy-crop-n-paste Wikipedia 'medal record' tables?

oh no way dude, our social media team is crushing it. just look at the numbers. followers, interactions, the FloWrestling accounts do better than plenty of main stream sports accounts. they are pretty easy to ignore if you don't like them, though. don't follow or just block them. problem solved!

11 minutes ago, jon said:

You say this person so smart and that person so smart and your other colleague so smart too. Why then childlike social media, shoddy customer service, sketchy sign-up page? Prior sentence gives three targets for improvement! I trust you smart folks can take it from here...

you should come down to Austin and meet the very smart people that are working very hard on those issues. they are very nice people!

12 minutes ago, jon said:

Your stance here strikes me as being defiant, dismissive. It's not just one person who's seen flaky steraming. Do better, man?!

relax my guy. I'm just the live blogger trying to shed some light on some topics. I'm sorry Flo makes you so angry. Try avoiding the site and our social media and forum threads about the company for a bit and just chill and enjoy the sport that we all love so much. 

21 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

you should come down to Austin and meet the very smart people that are working very hard on those issues. they are very nice people!

Working very hard to rewrite a sentence on the sign-up page? Working very hard so that customer service jumps levels, from 'godawful' level to some level better than godawful?? You're dodging the dialog, saying nothing constructive.

My post (and most others critiquing Flo) gives you feedback and yet you focus on the tone of my voice. Do better.

Edited by jon

They didn't even have Beatle mic'd up on FRL yesterday. They only figured it out after he started speaking. Took a minute or so to make the connection.

Also, I made a post yesterday suggesting a media panel choose the seeds. That panel should not NOT include Flo. They are more entertainment and less real journalism. They could, in theory, have coaches ponying up to get better seeds. They could also ask coaches for access and have the coaches allowing more access than they feel comfortable with for fear of reprisal.

20 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

They didn't even have Beatle mic'd up on FRL yesterday. They only figured it out after he started speaking. Took a minute or so to make the connection.

Also, I made a post yesterday suggesting a media panel choose the seeds. That panel should not NOT include Flo. They are more entertainment and less real journalism. They could, in theory, have coaches ponying up to get better seeds. They could also ask coaches for access and have the coaches allowing more access than they feel comfortable with for fear of reprisal.

I disagree Tbar. Flo guys are the most engaged of all the other sites. They have a finger on the pulse of the sport. I don't see that from intermat. Flo guys see more live D1 wrestling than anyone. I don't see them being corrupted by a seeding process.

Edited by russelscout

This is so silly. Have you guys ever worked in technology? Do you understand that CP, Willie, Nomad, Bradke, etc have zero control over things like streaming quality? 

Do you really think they want their streams to fail? They hate it more than we do. I promise you. They get a ton of heat for it and genuinely love the sport (obviously or they wouldn't have shaped their lives around it). What do you want them to do? Go yell at engineering? 

Consistent high quality streaming requires a huge amount of money and expertise. It is absolutely Flo's responsibility to fix this, but there is no way anyone on the editorial side has the kind of pull with the executives to get them to allocate millions more to this issue. Executive management is well aware of the issue and has taken steps to improve it. I agree it isn't enough and they get very little leeway when it comes to downtime. We should pressure Flo to fix this. 

Targeting the editorial staff, or claiming that they spend a ton of time focused on seeding is silly. You really want CP trying to fix the streaming issue? They are not using resources for editorial that otherwise could fix the stream. 

Keep giving them crap. Keep pushing them to fix this. Them doesn't mean editorial though. 

My streams have been great. I have a few hiccups but nothing major just like every other streaming service I use.

I love their content and all the guys live and die wrestling so I’m good with passionate people as their faces even though I don’t agree with their takes a lot of times.

As far as help with seeding. Take the winner of Ching’s Rank the Rankers winner from the year before and let that outlet help. This is where I don’t want Flo anywhere near as their rankings are always near the bottom. If they did this, Flo May improve their rankings or they’ll be on outside looking in

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Flo still has not posted the video of Marinelli over Joseph in the 165 final. 

Full video is on youtube. Just an FYI, Big ten network has posted all the finals. I don't know why Flo hasn't posted them. Maybe it is in there terms with BTN? I know they didn't have an announcer on the finals mat. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Consistent high quality streaming requires a huge amount of money and expertise.

I have not ever subscribed to flo due to the negative reactions I see about their service. I know it is ridiculous to compare them to the juggernaut that is ESPN, but when I can stream 8 mats at once during the NCAA tournament without issue, I know the ability to consistently stream 1 match should not be that difficult to achieve. It is not worth it to me to pay into the service, hoping that it will one day become reliable. That said, I am rooting for them and hope they figure it out. Once they do, I'm in.

26 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

I have not ever subscribed to flo due to the negative reactions I see about their service. I know it is ridiculous to compare them to the juggernaut that is ESPN, but when I can stream 8 mats at once during the NCAA tournament without issue, I know the ability to consistently stream 1 match should not be that difficult to achieve. It is not worth it to me to pay into the service, hoping that it will one day become reliable. That said, I am rooting for them and hope they figure it out. Once they do, I'm in.

Give it a try man. there is a lot of good stuff. And if you are patient enough to refresh your browser from time to time, you will find the stream enjoyable. Outside of a few well known incidents, I have gotten through the last couple years with very few problems. I also have extremely fast internet for work so maybe thats why. I may be biased from my own experience but I really am a big fan.

9 hours ago, jon said:

Working very hard to rewrite a sentence on the sign-up page? Working very hard so that customer service jumps levels, from 'godawful' level to some level better than godawful?? You're dodging the dialog, saying nothing constructive.

My post (and most others critiquing Flo) gives you feedback and yet you focus on the tone of my voice. Do better.

Yeah sorry man, I don't know what to tell you. I live blog and write about wrestling. but I also know all of your criticisms have been received and the people whose job is it to work on them are doing so. Please enjoy your weekend and thank you for the input :)

42 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Yeah sorry man, I don't know what to tell you. I live blog and write about wrestling. but I also know all of your criticisms have been received and the people whose job is it to work on them are doing so. Please enjoy your weekend and thank you for the input :)

There are at least a couple stand up guys at Flo.  Not always fun job apologizing when another area of the business does not seem to hold up their end.

Either way, there have been some improvements over the past 10 years... maybe just not at breakneck speed.

I haven't seen any of the Big Ten Finals on Flo's site as they did not broadcast them. Remember, Flo streams what is available on BTN plus, not the actual Big Ten Network. I have never been able to find matches that were on BTN on Flo's site.

For the streaming, the weather Saturday was pretty crummy in Minneapolis, and Sunday still had some affects from Saturday. I'm not sure how much this affected the connection for others as I was at the tourney, but weather can always affect signal/connection. When I get a thunderstorm at my house in San Antonio, I don't call DirecTV demanding a refund, I'm just like well its a hurricane, that sucks. I know that is maybe a bad comparison but due to advancements in technology we lose our mind when it takes an extra minute for Facebook to load pictures and status updates.