SprintFan

If you could start/restart 10 NCAA Programs--Which Ones Would You Choose

3 hours ago, Gantry said:

How did you get half points in duals back then, a tie and no OT?

41zXgeRfJrL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

i have looked through some of my sources with no luck...looking through my office for this book now.

If you look at Boomer's NCAA site- it isn't until around 1941 that you see scores for individual bouts.

You won by fall (pin fall back then) or by time advantage. Somewhere in the late 30s you started to see dec- which I believe was simply a referee's decision often based on riding time. If nothing happened through overtime it would be a draw in a dual.And in this time frame if one guy pinned (I think it had to be in the second) the other would have a chance to pin faster in the third period.I believe this is what led to choosing top/bottom for 2nd/3rd.

4 hours ago, Gantry said:

How did you get half points in duals back then, a tie and no OT?

page 71 from "The Cowboys Ride Again!", The History of Wrestling's Dynasty by Bob & Doris Dellinger.

Texans mentioned were Smith, Bradfield, Berry, Greer, & Turner. (April 2, 1915)

IMG_1398 02.jpg

Edited by jon_osu

First combine the PASSHE schools here in PA.  Drop the ones that have become dead weight.  Pick one in the southern part of the state to become the flagship and name it the University of Southern Pennsylvania and turn the rest into satellite schools.  You are looking at a total enrollment that is greater than PSU and it's satellites (111,000 total) which is an instant fanbase for a big football program which would eventually lead to revenues for a sport like wrestling.

Only problem with that is D1 would lose Bloomsburg, Clarion, LH and Edinboro but I would rather have another super program here in PA than those 4 smaller ones.

Edited by Boompa

I'd start with Oregon USC, UCLA, and UofA to make the PAC12 a bigger conference and more opportunities for the West Coast guys. After that I'd have to look around and see what makes sense.  

If USC has a program I could see there linup now

125 Vern Troyers son

133 Peter Dinklage son

141 Steve Buscemi son

149 Kardashian

157 Kardashian 

165 Kardashian

171 Kardashian (Someone needs to get those girls fixed.

189 Jonna Hills Son

215 Alec Baldwin’s son (might be the only addmision that is justified thanks unkle Billy)

Hwt Rosie O’Donnell son

got to love those USC admissions crew team has nothing on his lineup. 

Edited by Sublime607

8 hours ago, Yellow_Medal said:

Hawaii

Hard to believe but Hawaii actually had a team at one time.  1931-1950.  I don't know much about it other than the years it ran.  I'm not sure if they came to the mainland for duals or if teams from the west coast flew out to Hawaii or what.  All I know is that I once asked an SID years ago, and he came back at me with those years. No pictures, stats, names or anything else.  All he gave me was the years. 

1 hour ago, Bananasplit said:

Why would a D-1 school add wrestling?  Just asking the question.

Arkansas-Little Rock and Presbyterian College would be a good place to ask that question.  

I"d wager that it might be so they could be competitive at a sport.  Well known for something.  I sometimes wonder if Central Connecticut regrets cutting wrestling.  It was by far their best sport at the time they dropped it, and they have yet to in any sport match the conference accomplishments that wrestling did. 

I was the head Assistant at Central Connecticut in the early 90's, I left probably 3 or 4 years before they dropped the program. When I was there we were East Coast runner - ups and then East Coast champions. The same time I was there I think that the football team won like 3 games and the basketball team would go down the road and play UCONN and lose by 60 points. I often shake my head about the Admin. dropping there most successful athletic team..

12 hours ago, Bananasplit said:

Why would a D-1 school add wrestling?  Just asking the question.

Because wrestling supports higher education’s mission of learning, enrichment, and school values, and offers opportunities for wrestlers to obtain or afford a college degree that might have otherwise not have been possible.

Unfortunately D1 programs these days emphasize profit and revenue first. It’s not their fault though, state funding for higher ed has been gutted so athletics depts have to operate as pseudo-stand alone, self-supporting businesses.

Edited by pamela
caught a typo

I would like to add an 11th suggestion for my own list.

Adding a D-II program to the University of the Virgin Islands.  There are 7 colleges in the deep south that are D2 and offer wrestling.  It's only about a 90 minute flight from Florida, and it would be extremely easy to recruit there. Who wouldn't want to live on St. Thomas and enjoy the beach every day and not have to deal with cold weather ever?  I think a lot of midwestern and east coast wrestlers would at least take a look.  

6 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I would like to add an 11th suggestion for my own list.

Adding a D-II program to the University of the Virgin Islands.  There are 7 colleges in the deep south that are D2 and offer wrestling.  It's only about a 90 minute flight from Florida, and it would be extremely easy to recruit there. Who wouldn't want to live on St. Thomas and enjoy the beach every day and not have to deal with cold weather ever?  I think a lot of midwestern and east coast wrestlers would at least take a look.  

Massive culture shock!

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Massive culture shock!

It would be great though.  Imagine them hosting nationals?  I'm not saying that travel would be easy to and from there, but with scheduling you could find ways to minimize the travel time loss.  Plus if they got some sponsors together and hosted a tournament, who wouldn't want to go to that in the dead of winter instead of freezing somewhere up north?  The main problem I see is a lack of local talent or interest.  I do know a former top 10 greco wrestler who lives there.  But if the university could be talked into it, it wouldn't be hard to talk kids from the midwest to attend school and wrestle there.  They already do a lot with basketball's major teams.....so it could be possible.

Also, who wouldn't want to live, go to school and train there?

Image result for university of the virgin islands

On 3/18/2019 at 6:42 AM, JohnnyThompsonnum1 said:

Hard to believe but Hawaii actually had a team at one time.  1931-1950.  I don't know much about it other than the years it ran.  I'm not sure if they came to the mainland for duals or if teams from the west coast flew out to Hawaii or what.  All I know is that I once asked an SID years ago, and he came back at me with those years. No pictures, stats, names or anything else.  All he gave me was the years. 

The NWCA website says Hawaii dropped D1 wrestling in 1977, but doesn't say how long it was around. 1931-50 is before Hawaii was a state though, and things must have been interesting wrestling like 10 miles away from Pearl Harbor around WW2.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:09 PM, pamela said:

The NWCA website says Hawaii dropped D1 wrestling in 1977, but doesn't say how long it was around. 1931-50 is before Hawaii was a state though, and things must have been interesting wrestling like 10 miles away from Pearl Harbor around WW2.

True on all accounts.  No longer have the email exchange between the two of us or I would provide it. 

On 3/15/2019 at 5:07 PM, RichB said:

How can the(a) flagship University of a state with quality wrestling lack the sport?

Berkley and/or UCLA (or 2-3 other UC campuses)

Washington or W St

Utah

Colorado

This of course would make PAC 12 a decent sized conference

Texas

Georgia

Florida 

Kansas or Kansas st

What are the remaining somewhat strong states without flagship school with D1 Wrestling??? 

I am giessing:

Tenn

Kent

Idaho

Nevada

Montana

Delaware

Mass

Conn

Obviously, if Geo, Fla, Al. Kent, Tenn restarted, then, With Mo (and maybe Tex A&M) you could again have an SEC tourn

do not add any programs in california. for the most part, those dogs won't hunt.