BobDole

Is it the national TOURnament or TURNament?

Turn or Tour  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is it TOURnament or TURNament

• TOURnament
    • TURNament

When I grew up in north-central PA, it was TOURnament (similar to Tour de France).  We went to "STATES" in Hershey for the state TOURnament.

I had never heard a different in pronunciation until college, when I was dating a girl from SW Ohio.  I was talking about filling out brackets for March Madness basketball TOURnament.  She accused me of being from NY/NJ based on how I pronounced the word.  After the NY/NJ accusation, I consciously forced myself to say TURNnament.

4 syllables to-ur--nam-ent pronounced --- toe urr name ent.  When you encounter an Ent(like treebeard) you tell him to either provide hi entish name or you will step on his toe  (then he will step on you and squish you).

Edited by RichB

32 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

When I grew up in north-central PA, it was TOURnament (similar to Tour de France).  We went to "STATES" in Hershey for the state TOURnament.

I had never heard a different in pronunciation until college, when I was dating a girl from SW Ohio.  I was talking about filling out brackets for March Madness basketball TOURnament.  She accused me of being from NY/NJ based on how I pronounced the word.  After the NY/NJ accusation, I consciously forced myself to say TURNnament.

Surprised you haven't gotten a red pill/blue pill alpha/beta comment yet