Coach_J

World Cup Thread

1 hour ago, Coach_J said:

Very encouraged by Zain so far.  Nico and I-Mar showing some nice stuff as well.  Not the strongest teams from the other nations, so it seems a good opportunity in these early rounds.

......but USA loses to Iran 5-5 on criteria in Round 2. Just can't beat these guys in the World Cup. 

Anyway, it's got to be a shot in the arm for Iran wrestling.

At least it’s encouraging to see that the depth in our country is catching up to the depth of some other top countries.  Prior years our backups would be more like 2-8 against a team of #2’s from another wrestling power. 

Edited by MadMardigain

5 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

At least it’s envouraging to see that the depth in our country is catching up to the depth of some other top countries.  Prior years our backups would be more like 2-8 against a team of #2’s from another wrestling power. 

Totally agree.

20 minutes ago, Hubbard said:

A dual should be a dual.

What more exactly does that mean?  

I can understand "A dual should be a duel".  Walk twenty paces, turn and shoot.

But "A dual should be a dual" is tautologous.  It's like saying "An aardvark should be an aardvark". 

Do you mean mean that we (the US) should send its top (#1) guys and so should everyone else?

1 hour ago, AIW-HS said:

Why did they take away that last 2 from Zain?

I wondered that as well.   He should have had 2 for another takedown.  Only thing that I can imagine is that the brick was thrown before the takedown.  Would have to go back and look.

So our team seems to be doing pretty well. Nico, Zain and IMar are doing really well. Speaking on Nico, and seeing how he's wrestling at this event, I am starting to think that he might have a chance to make this year's team. Anyway Japan has a good team and hopefully our guys can get the win tonight and bring home the Bronze. 

6 hours ago, de4856 said:

So our team seems to be doing pretty well. Nico, Zain and IMar are doing really well. Speaking on Nico, and seeing how he's wrestling at this event, I am starting to think that he might have a chance to make this year's team. Anyway Japan has a good team and hopefully our guys can get the win tonight and bring home the Bronze. 

Nico isn’t making the team. The US is just deeper than we’ve ever been. Doubt he makes the national team, let alone world team. 

3 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

USA takes 3rd over Japan. The guy Hayden Zillmer teched, 10-0, was a 2018 world bronze medalist.

True. I will say that he was possibly the worst bronze at worlds. I couldn’t believe he won bronze. If I recall correctly, I was posting about how crazy it was when he won it

props to him. He will never win a world medal again. 

Very impressed with the US. We st best had 1 #1 (Zain) but really he is one of five guys who could make the team. 

IMar looked better than I’ve ever seen him in freestyle. Excellent performance. I hope he keeps improving. The US is so good right now that he almost certainly won’t make a team (maybe 2021 if JB retires and Hall/Dake/Green don’t stay at 74?). In past years he would’ve been good enough to make it and maybe even sneak in a bronze. 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

True. I will say that he was possibly the worst bronze at worlds. I couldn’t believe he won bronze. If I recall correctly, I was posting about how crazy it was when he won it

props to him. He will never win a world medal again. 

Never ever say never ever... with the right draw anybody can win a medal

Like how the team did and very encouraged by Zain.  Kind of a glorified JV meet but good experience for some guys who really needed it.  Again, I only see 3 or so guys from this squad with any chance to make our next World or Olympic team.

Housebuye, Nico finished 3rd at the U.S. Open last year, and was runner up to Garrett in the WTT, he is also listed as our number 3 guy on our ladder at 61, so I believe he has a shot at making the team. I know Colon has been competing quite a bit, and I am not sure what Garrett has been doing ( although I would suspect that he is training pretty hard for the U.S. Open ), so I admit he is on the outside looking in, and if I assume you were possibly suggesting that with all the other talented guys we have at 133 right now, could even make it more difficult for him, you could very well be right about him never being the number one guy at this weight.