Coach_J

World Cup Thread

6 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Brooks was a real weak spot in the lineup. Was he the best that said yes?

Brooks has had a lot of recent international success. So while in hindsight it appears like a bad choice he was the best choice at the time. He still won a match by pin. Who would you rather have if you can't have Taylor? I think Brooks would handily defeat 86kg Final X runner-up Reenan. 

43 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

Brooks has had a lot of recent international success. So while in hindsight it appears like a bad choice he was the best choice at the time. He still won a match by pin. Who would you rather have if you can't have Taylor? I think Brooks would handily defeat 86kg Final X runner-up Reenan. 

I think Heflin or Downey would both be better choices. 

Well I like Brooks, but I have to think that he kind of lives and dies with some of these upper body ties and throws he likes. My feeling is that if he can get better in this position he might become really dangerous. Hopefully for his sake, as well as for the betterment of USA Wrestling, he gets better. 

2 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I think Heflin or Downey would both be better choices. 

Based on most recent results those would be the wrong choices.

At AWL in December Brooks beat Heflin 11-4. https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2018/December/01/Oliver-edges-out-Retherford-Clark-defeats-Ramos-at-AWL

At the Poland tournament in September Brooks placed 2nd in the same bracket Downey placed 7th. Brooks beat the guy from France that Downey lost to.  https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2018/September/07/Hancock-pins-Olympic-champion-Brooks-in-freestyle-finals-in-Poland

15 hours ago, Housebuye said:

True. I will say that he was possibly the worst bronze at worlds. I couldn’t believe he won bronze. If I recall correctly, I was posting about how crazy it was when he won it

props to him. He will never win a world medal again. 

92 kg was not the toughest field the sport has seen.