NJDan

Wrestling Bars?

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

Arm and Double Arm 

Not in NYC, but in Milton PA there's a bar called, "The Arm Bar".  Definitely named for the wrestling move.

Milton HS has had a decent wrestling history in PA.  Among others, graduates include Charlie Heller (NCAA 4-3-2), Bob Crawford (4x PIAA champion), Ryan Solomon, and Ryan Preisch. 

13 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Not in NYC, but in Milton PA there's a bar called, "The Arm Bar".  Definitely named for the wrestling move.

Milton HS has had a decent wrestling history in PA.  Among others, graduates include Charlie Heller (NCAA 4-3-2), Bob Crawford (4x PIAA champion), Ryan Solomon, and Ryan Preisch. 

You may know this LU but "The Arm Bar" is owned by Charlie Heller's family.

A bunch of us get together at the Jersey Shore(Long Branch area) and it's all we can do to get a good sports bar to give us a couple tv's with the wrestling on rather than BBall.  And imagine that's a wrestling area in a wrestling state.  No matter where we go, you can always get them to put the wrestling on is what we've found.

6 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

A bunch of us get together at the Jersey Shore(Long Branch area) and it's all we can do to get a good sports bar to give us a couple tv's with the wrestling on rather than BBall.  And imagine that's a wrestling area in a wrestling state.  No matter where we go, you can always get them to put the wrestling on is what we've found.

Yes, I was aware that the Heller family owned The Arm Bar.  I went to Warrior Run HS, Milton's primary rival.  Also did my elementary wrestling at the Milton YMCA.

9 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Yes, I was aware that the Heller family owned The Arm Bar.  I went to Warrior Run HS, Milton's primary rival.  Also did my elementary wrestling at the Milton YMCA.

Fellow D4 guy! I'm from Athens, HS .  Spent a few hours in the Arm Bar during the District Dual tournament over the years:)

9 hours ago, pennsyrules said:

I bartended for several years in Monmouth county (near that Long Branch area) following college.  The specific upscale neighborhood bar I worked at had over 40 seats and plenty of tabkles away from the bar, a projector screen and 10 TVs with satellite.  I always tried to push wrestling when it was on but the amount of near instant requests to change it made me apathetic.  Changing channels is time lost and time is truly money when working behind a bar.  I am glad you had better success but my experience is that the public mostly hated it.  We even had more success with obscure Olympic sports like curling than wrestling matches.    

Not the best setting, but some pals and myself would always take off work for Thursday and go to BWW.  My friends would all watch opening day of the basketball tournament.  They have so many tv's so asking them to turn on one tv to show wrestling is never an issue....no one ever asks for it to be changed since every basketball game is already on 4/5 tv's.

20 hours ago, ironmonkey said:

I bartended for several years in Monmouth county (near that Long Branch area) following college.  The specific upscale neighborhood bar I worked at had over 40 seats and plenty of tabkles away from the bar, a projector screen and 10 TVs with satellite.  I always tried to push wrestling when it was on but the amount of near instant requests to change it made me apathetic.  Changing channels is time lost and time is truly money when working behind a bar.  I am glad you had better success but my experience is that the public mostly hated it.  We even had more success with obscure Olympic sports like curling than wrestling matches.    

Went to Jack's and the Celtic Cottage.  Jack's is good sized sports bar.  Funny that in the beginning people didn't look thrilled but the excitement at our table of 8 seemed to draw some interest.  No one we talked to in the bar had even heard of the Skoves!

Tell the bar tender to put on NCAA wrestling you would be surprised at how many people will watch that don’t follow the sport. Last year I had the Tournament on while a saint Patrick’s day party was going on. Over 200 people in the place. Sold them on this super freshman from Hilton New York who was wrestling for a national title they really got into it. That late comeback had the place going nuts.

Edited by Sublime607

On 3/17/2019 at 1:05 PM, pennsyrules said:

Fellow D4 guy! I'm from Athens, HS .  Spent a few hours in the Arm Bar during the District Dual tournament over the years:)

Small world I was just In Athens Friday.... The Valley is still the Valley.