NJDan

Guys going up

Last year, Gross went up to 141 to wrestle Meredith and lost. This year, Seb Rivera went up to 133 to wrestle Micic and lost.

Are there any examples of a guy going up to face a first or second ranked guy and winning?

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Last year, Gross went up to 141 to wrestle Meredith and lost. This year, Seb Rivera went up to 133 to wrestle Micic and lost.

Are there any examples of a guy going up to face a first or second ranked guy and winning?

Askren went up and beat Kish.

1 minute ago, Perry said:

Snyder went up and beat gwiz at ncaas?

No, that does not count. Snyder had been 197 the previous year. But the year he beat Gwiz he had been at heavyweight all year.  Same for Dake beating Taylor or Jenkins beating Taylor.

Was Mark Schultz a 177 all year, or did he move up for post-season to deny Ed Banach four titles?

Also... Wade Schalles was not eligible for NCAAs his senior year, so he moved up to 177 for the PSAC tourney and pinned eventual NCAA champ, Floyd “Shorty” Hitchcock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Was Schultz a 177 all year, or did he move up for post-season to deny Ed Banach four titles?

Also... Wade Schalles was not eligible for NCAAs his senior year, so he moved up to 177 for the PSAC tourney and pinned eventual NCAA champ, Floyd “Shorty” Hitchcock.

Schultz and Banach wrestled twice that season at 177 before NCAAs. 

Dan Gable went up to 150 to wrestle Mike Grant.  Both were defending National Champs.  Also, Royce Alger moved up Mid-Season in 1988 from 167lbs to 177lbs. for the team.  

Mike Frick moved up multiple times during his career for better competition. Most notably, moving up to 150 (weighing in at 144) at the Midlands to beat Mark Churella. Not sure what 3x NCAA champ Churella’s rank was at the time?

http://www.eiwawrestling.org/HOF/Hall_of_Fame/frick-mike?view=bio

Edited by lu_alum

2 minutes ago, Aviator12 said:

Logan Stieber bumped up and beat someone and beat a #1 at an all star match a few years back whose name escapes me right now.

Maple

Edited by lu_alum

47 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Was Mark Schultz a 177 all year, or did he move up for post-season to deny Ed Banach four titles?

Eventual OW Shorty Hitchcock.

12 hours ago, lu_alum said:

and that was bumping up 2 weights as Wade wrestled at 158 lbs.

Owings went up 2 weights to defeat Carl Addams. I think in other duals he went higher

Or maybe they wrestled at 167. Carl wrestled a lot at 67 that year.

Edited by RichB