Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sublime607

Mike Francesca

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, klehner said:

The guy is a d***.  The morning show hosts on WFAN give him s*** all the time.

Being from NY I remember Mike and the mad dog back in 90’s but never cared for either or them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re surprised by this? Women’s NCAA NIT basketball gets more talk time than wrestling. You think a top 5  market(NYC) wants to hear about a 3rd?4th? Tier sport?

Dont get me wrong, I’d freaking love it! But no talk radio is diving in on the NCAAs for us. :(

I’ve heard it happen on my city’s sports talk radio too with the same exact result. Not only that, it’s highly unlikely these guys have any knowledge or insight on the event/sport.

 

at least we’ve got FRL, TRow and Funky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NJDan said:

Francesca is the best sports talk guy-- the best of a bad bunch. But he he talks about the four major pro team sports, golf, tennis, NCAA basketball and NCAA football, boxing and horse racing. That's it. Everybody knows it. The caller was a jerk.

Anyone that attempts to give wrestling attention is not a jerk. This guy gets a pass in the jerk category from me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Anyone that attempts to give wrestling attention is not a jerk. This guy gets a pass in the jerk category from me. 

OK, maybe he is not a jerk. But his stunt did not work and never could have worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Maybe he would've cared if he asked what the chances of LI native Nick Piccininni winning a title were (well probably not)

That would be funny.     As stated, Mike keeps the talk to the major sports and occasionally he'll talk about major world events or big news stories. But Mike says himself, he's afraid to lose ratings if callers bring up "smaller" sports, women's sports, HS sports, etc.     All that said, I think Penn State deserves some air time.  It's incredible what they have done.  Mike has talked about Gino at U of Conn several times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

I think it would be funny if wrestling fans flooded his show with calls for a day. I’m sure we would have to trick the screeners.

Oops, I meant to quote this post that would be funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

I think it would be funny if wrestling fans flooded his show with calls for a day. I’m sure we would have to trick the screeners.

Nope, not funny at all and shows why they don't discuss wrestling.

Close friend who has a national sports talk radio show. We have discussed it a number of times.

20 calls about wrestling  is nothing compared the the hundreds about Football. Especially when it is the same three to five callers over and over again. Per him if they got 50 and more each week, all different numbers and locations it would start getting noticed. He said that someone like Belichick and a half dozen other top football coaches would need to talk up wrestling in interviews and news stories before it would start to generate interest and get noticed by talk shows.

They are geared to a young audience, loud and short attention span for the most part. Topic of the day people, the type who like Yahoo and USA Today - which seldom give quality time to any real story. Most are lightweight, not in depth and geared to the short attention span of the readers. Old timers - and few of them - complain about the lack of substance. This hurts the chance for wrestling. That - and no solid audience that will appeal to the advertising sales arm of broadcast media.

What it comes down to is "small audience, small buying power". Penn State wrestling is fine - but Penn State Football is a big deal in marketing. Penn State vs Iowa? Penn State vs Ohio State? In wrestling - audience that can be measured by the fingers on one hand. In football or basketball - 100 times bigger.

You can see where the dollars and attention go - and it is not NCAA or World Championship wrestling.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WillieBoy said:

Nope, not funny at all and shows why they don't discuss wrestling.

Close friend who has a national sports talk radio show. We have discussed it a number of times.

20 calls about wrestling  is nothing compared the the hundreds about Football. Especially when it is the same three to five callers over and over again. Per him if they got 50 and more each week, all different numbers and locations it would start getting noticed. He said that someone like Belichick and a half dozen other top football coaches would need to talk up wrestling in interviews and news stories before it would start to generate interest and get noticed by talk shows.

They are geared to a young audience, loud and short attention span for the most part. Topic of the day people, the type who like Yahoo and USA Today - which seldom give quality time to any real story. Most are lightweight, not in depth and geared to the short attention span of the readers. Old timers - and few of them - complain about the lack of substance. This hurts the chance for wrestling. That - and no solid audience that will appeal to the advertising sales arm of broadcast media.

What it comes down to is "small audience, small buying power". Penn State wrestling is fine - but Penn State Football is a big deal in marketing. Penn State vs Iowa? Penn State vs Ohio State? In wrestling - audience that can be measured by the fingers on one hand. In football or basketball - 100 times bigger.

You can see where the dollars and attention go - and it is not NCAA or World Championship wrestling.

 

I think it would be hilarious. Mike's not gonna cover wrestling anyway. Although I enjoy his show, depending on topic, Mike is a grumpy, condescending host to too many of his callers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

I think it would be hilarious. Mike's not gonna cover wrestling anyway. Although I enjoy his show, depending on topic, Mike is a grumpy, condescending host to too many of his callers. 

You left out arrogant,never wrong and an expert in everything sports and,lately,politics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

 

What it comes down to is "small audience, small buying power". Penn State wrestling is fine - but Penn State Football is a big deal in marketing. Penn State vs Iowa? Penn State vs Ohio State? In wrestling - audience that can be measured by the fingers on one hand. In football or basketball - 100 times bigger.

I doubt his show even talks that much about Penn State football

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, StallWarning said:

This idiot has fallen asleep on air. 

 

This miserable old man who could care less about wrestling should wear sunglasses with eyes painted on them. This way, it looks like he's awake and paying attention while at the same time, getting all the sleep he wants.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×