Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Kyle Conel to PSU

Just now, pamela said:

Sorry, I was going off of memory and thought he placed at Juniors or U23s? If not, I guess that makes him an aspiring world medalist. As opposed to wrestlers who want to go MMA, coach, or move on after they're done in college.

He placed 6th

7 minutes ago, pamela said:

Sorry, I was going off of memory and thought he placed at Juniors or U23s? If not, I guess that makes him an aspiring world medalist. As opposed to wrestlers who want to go MMA, coach, or move on after they're done in college.

Yeah... that's cool.  He could compete fairly well methinks at 92kg or 97kg.  But... I also think that if he's already behind Moore (Moore teched him twice IIRC) in Freestyle for U23's, he'll be pretty far down the ladder at 97kg Seniors.  Coming off injury to boot... i wish him well as a fellow Ohioan.  I just think that sticking with Kent State would have been just fine, and then rolling around the ORTC in C-Bus with Snyder and Moore to really figure out where he fits for FS would have been just as good.

2 hours ago, Katie said:

If you throw Gross in there you’d have a dream medical redshirt team.

Maybe Kimmer could transfer and join the MedRed dream team, esp if Mark Hall decides to ORS. Wrestle close to home, train with his old buddy Nolf...

19 minutes ago, pamela said:

Maybe Kimmer could transfer and join the MedRed dream team, esp if Mark Hall decides to ORS. Wrestle close to home, train with his old buddy Nolf...

Might as well throw Grant Leeth in the lineup too, he'll be about 36 by the time he runs out of eligibility. Plus his replacement (Mauller) is the 4 seed at NCAAs, so he could be riding the bench anyway. Makes perfect sense!

14 minutes ago, Griff the BullRam said:

Might as well throw Grant Leeth in the lineup too, he'll be about 36 by the time he runs out of eligibility. Plus his replacement (Mauller) is the 4 seed at NCAAs, so he could be riding the bench anyway. Makes perfect sense!

Or he could be cutting to 141, when Eierman (possibly) takes an Oly redshirt....

1 hour ago, Griff the BullRam said:

Might as well throw Grant Leeth in the lineup too, he'll be about 6 by the time he runs out of eligibility. Plus his replacement (Mauller) is the 4 seed at NCAAs, so he could be riding the bench anyway. Makes perfect sense!

Or at the very least he could donate his neck brace to be used by Dan Monthly as a “precautionary measure” prop.

11 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Not sure it's hugely relevant in the grand scheme of things, but it does give PSU more options down the road.  

It's still weird to me that an elite recruit would start with a 6 year plan (or more) straight out of the gate, but to each his own.  

I wonder if he is as elite as he is made out to be if he needs a 6 year plan. I needed a 12 year plan, and even then it didn't pan out. 

3 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I wonder if he is as elite as he is made out to be if he needs a 6 year plan. I needed a 12 year plan, and even then it didn't pan out. 

Eh, I don't think that's it.  Cael was able to convince basically an entire elite recruiting class to delay their enrollment by a year because it fits better with his long-range plans for his team.  Hell of a salesman, that guy.  

8 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Conel is no lock to beat Beard for the spot. Still happy to see him in blue and white.

Beard is in greyshirt right now. Won't effect his eligibility. 

12 hours ago, treep2000 said:

I think this is a bad idea, unless they are going to delay Beard yet another year.  Otherwise, Beard will most likely beat Conel, thus, effectively wasting his last year of eligibility on the bench.  Whereas, he could go to pretty much any of the other 90% of schools, be their starter, and do his thing.  If the aforementioned Beard will RS, then this plan is fine, otherwise... a head scratcher, as Beard could most likely be Top 6 right now.

Unless Conel is thinking further down the road.  Maybe thinking he still has a lot of room before he hits his ceiling.  Thus becoming ambitious to wrestle for team USA.  For some guys, even if not #1, making the USA team gives them opportunities to travel the world and be a part of something few get a chance to do in their life.  He may be the kind of guy who can get on the ladder after college, and maybe he is looking at that as well whether he starts or not.  Just my thoughts on a different look at the situation beyond one more year in the NCAA. 

11 minutes ago, scramble said:

Unless Conel is thinking further down the road.  Maybe thinking he still has a lot of room before he hits his ceiling.  Thus becoming ambitious to wrestle for team USA.  For some guys, even if not #1, making the USA team gives them opportunities to travel the world and be a part of something few get a chance to do in their life.  He may be the kind of guy who can get on the ladder after college, and maybe he is looking at that as well whether he starts or not.  Just my thoughts on a different look at the situation beyond one more year in the NCAA. 

Fair point.  Can't argue with that!  

The one thing I will say with a guy like Conel that is hard to know is how much room for growth there is.  Kent State has had some good individuals but there is a clear difference between their room and a top-notch room. 

One day I was talking to one of my close friends who coaches one of the Top 15 D1 programs.  We were just talking about different teams and we began to talk about one team in particular who has been a top 20 nationally ranked several times.  He pointed out that no person from their program had ever been a D1 all-American, despite their H.S. success.  They probably had 15 or more guys make the top 20 rankings in their weight in about a decade during that time.  I asked him why he thought that was.  I found his response interesting.  He said that in his opinion, they trained at such a high and intense level in high school, and had a lot of top kids that he thinks they were closer to their ceiling coming out of high school.  They trained a lot like colleges in his view.  He said they were really good, but when they hit college they just didn't have the same trajectory.  Now, since that conversation a long time ago, they have had I think 2 D1 All American's.   That conversation got me thinking though.  When you see a kid from a not so stellar program, that has lacked the workout partners, coaching level, and resource availability, there is a lot more learning space when they get with a top-notch program.  You can almost think about theories and philosophies around social justice, right?  A student who scores a 28 ACT from a high socioeconomic family, with lots of resource access and opportunity, versus the student with a 25 or 26 ACT from a very low-socioeconomic status with a major lack of resource access and opportunity.  On paper, the 28 looks better, but the student who had a ton of life struggles and scored a 26 ACT had certain unmeasurable attributes  (ie., grit, resiliency, work ethic, drive, etc.).  So you can't necessarily measure them equally.  Which is a better show of the overall performance of the individual?  The 28 or 26?   

Doing teaching or conferences I often draw a picture with two people on the side of the mountain and ask who climbed the furthest.  Most people will answer the person who is closest to the top of the mountain.  They rarely ask where each person was at in relation to the mountain when they started their climb because they assume they started at the same place.  

I think the same is true for many athletes, students, employees, etc.  People who start further behind or lack the resources that others have, sometimes have more space available between the floor and the ceiling.  So to speak.  

He had a good run, so did Zeke Moisey, Ronnie Perry and a lot of others at NCAA...why do we think this is a home run for PSU?

It's going to be interesting next year when PSU doesn't have a single returning champion.