Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Kyle Conel to PSU

It’s hard not to be a fan of the product PSU puts on the mat, but honestly I really wanted to see Conel go anywhere but PSU. He could’ve been the transfer that takes some teams from top 5 to title contender. Was also looking forward to seeing if Michael Beard lives up to any of the lofty expectations PSU fans have for him. Don’t want this to be seen as bashing Conel though-Can’t fault a guy for wanting to be in a room where he can work with Sanderson, Varner, Taylor, and co.

197 is/was open next year. Beard still has a redshirt available I believe. 

Assuming he gets a 6th year Rasheed will stay at 184 and allow Brooks and Starocci to redshirt (although Starocci might be a 174 in college). 

Edited by AIW-HS

I thought maybe Shak would bump up to 197 next year, assuming he gets his medical waiver, and Manville would get on the Taylor-Cassar diet plan and slot himself in at 184. I wonder if he could get squeezed out of the lineup again. He may also not care if he’s prioritizing a Greco medal over an NCAA title - who knows.

Edited by pamela
“Cassar”

I think this is a bad idea, unless they are going to delay Beard yet another year.  Otherwise, Beard will most likely beat Conel, thus, effectively wasting his last year of eligibility on the bench.  Whereas, he could go to pretty much any of the other 90% of schools, be their starter, and do his thing.  If the aforementioned Beard will RS, then this plan is fine, otherwise... a head scratcher, as Beard could most likely be Top 6 right now.

38 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I think this is a bad idea, unless they are going to delay Beard yet another year.  Otherwise, Beard will most likely beat Conel, thus, effectively wasting his last year of eligibility on the bench.  Whereas, he could go to pretty much any of the other 90% of schools, be their starter, and do his thing.  If the aforementioned Beard will RS, then this plan is fine, otherwise... a head scratcher, as Beard could most likely be Top 6 right now.

Kyle Conel is also a world medalist though so maybe he wanted to be in the same room as PSU's bigs to train for Worlds or the Olympics. Training with Cael, Varner, Taylor, Bo, Provisor, etc. doesn't sound so bad even if he doesn't crack the starting lineup for folkstyle..

1 minute ago, JeanGuy said:

I will be really surprised if Shakur Rasheed gets another year but no more than Ashnault and Gravnina. But you never know.

The NCAA used to limit the number of medical waivers granted per program (across all sports at a school) over a period of time but ppl say the rules have been relaxed and it's supposed to be much easier now to get that 6th year of eligibility.

50 minutes ago, pamela said:

Kyle Conel is also a world medalist though so maybe he wanted to be in the same room as PSU's bigs to train for Worlds or the Olympics. Training with Cael, Varner, Taylor, Bo, Provisor, etc. doesn't sound so bad even if he doesn't crack the starting lineup for folkstyle..

https://kentstatesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10124

Pardon my ignorance, or my lack of reading comprehension, but what "world medal" did Conel win?

Conel is hard not to like and I respect the decision, but I wish he was going to a program who is in need of a 197 and it could help propel them forward next year (ASU, Rutgers, Wisconsin, ISU) 

At PSU he might not start. PSU is taking a hit this year due to guys graduating, so PSU might need him to win the title, but they will now have 2 guys who would likely AA ta 197.

I think you guys are going to be disappointed in Kyle Conel. He had an amazing tournament, but that's really his only moment of success. Plus, he's coming off what appears to be a bad shoulder injury. I don't think he would be a program changing transfer for a smaller program like some have claimed and I don't think he's an obvious upgrade over Beard at 197, so I don't think this really helps Penn State all that much outside of possibly extending Beard's career farther into the future by using his redshirt next year. Honestly, given his injury issues, I'd probably prefer Beard if I was a Penn State fan.

30 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

https://kentstatesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10124

Pardon my ignorance, or my lack of reading comprehension, but what "world medal" did Conel win?

Sorry, I was going off of memory and thought he placed at Juniors or U23s? If not, I guess that makes him an aspiring world medalist. As opposed to wrestlers who want to go MMA, coach, or move on after they're done in college.