Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Kyle Conel to PSU

4 hours ago, BobDole said:

Maybe he is training for the ADAA Pro League.

wow, the American Dental Assistants Association has a pro league? Who knew?

if you were referring to the other common use of the acronym, then you are a complete tool....considering Kyle's recent past. shame on you Mr. Dole

Edited by gromit

Part of what's swaying him could very well be academically related. I remember reading on Flo or the USA Wrestling website or something that he's earned distinctions for his high GPA, and he doesn't exactly have a cupcake major. Bright kid, he's setting himself up well for life after college.

5 minutes ago, gromit said:

wow, the American Dental Assistants Association has a pro league? Who knew?

if you were referring to the other common use of the acronym, then you are a complete tool....considering Kyle's recent past. shame on you Mr. Dole

American
Dodgeball
Association 
of America

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, BobDole said:

American
Dodgeball
Association 
of America

yeah, right.  American...of America, huh.  Sorry, it struck a nerve....mental illness is no joke 

Edited by gromit

13 hours ago, scramble said:

The one thing I will say with a guy like Conel that is hard to know is how much room for growth there is.  Kent State has had some good individuals but there is a clear difference between their room and a top-notch room. 

One day I was talking to one of my close friends who coaches one of the Top 15 D1 programs.  We were just talking about different teams and we began to talk about one team in particular who has been a top 20 nationally ranked several times.  He pointed out that no person from their program had ever been a D1 all-American, despite their H.S. success.  They probably had 15 or more guys make the top 20 rankings in their weight in about a decade during that time.  I asked him why he thought that was.  I found his response interesting.  He said that in his opinion, they trained at such a high and intense level in high school, and had a lot of top kids that he thinks they were closer to their ceiling coming out of high school.  They trained a lot like colleges in his view.  He said they were really good, but when they hit college they just didn't have the same trajectory.  Now, since that conversation a long time ago, they have had I think 2 D1 All American's.   That conversation got me thinking though.  When you see a kid from a not so stellar program, that has lacked the workout partners, coaching level, and resource availability, there is a lot more learning space when they get with a top-notch program.  You can almost think about theories and philosophies around social justice, right?  A student who scores a 28 ACT from a high socioeconomic family, with lots of resource access and opportunity, versus the student with a 25 or 26 ACT from a very low-socioeconomic status with a major lack of resource access and opportunity.  On paper, the 28 looks better, but the student who had a ton of life struggles and scored a 26 ACT had certain unmeasurable attributes  (ie., grit, resiliency, work ethic, drive, etc.).  So you can't necessarily measure them equally.  Which is a better show of the overall performance of the individual?  The 28 or 26?   

Doing teaching or conferences I often draw a picture with two people on the side of the mountain and ask who climbed the furthest.  Most people will answer the person who is closest to the top of the mountain.  They rarely ask where each person was at in relation to the mountain when they started their climb because they assume they started at the same place.  

I think the same is true for many athletes, students, employees, etc.  People who start further behind or lack the resources that others have, sometimes have more space available between the floor and the ceiling.  So to speak.  

He placed fourth at FloNationals and won a state championship, so it isn't like he was pulled out of the hallways his senior year to fill a roster spot.

Don't you guys think that Conel would have had a conversation with Cael on where Cael saw him fitting in before Conel made his decision to commit to Penn State?  Conel should have asked Cael what his plans were for Beard next season.  Also, it would make no sense for Penn State to give Conel any scholarship money just to be a back-up/practice partner.  You would think that if Cael told Conel that he would have to wrestle off Shakur or Beard for 197, then Conel would have picked VA Tech or another program where he had a clear path to starting.

12 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Don't you guys think that Conel would have had a conversation with Cael on where Cael saw him fitting in before Conel made his decision to commit to Penn State?  Conel should have asked Cael what his plans were for Beard next season.  Also, it would make no sense for Penn State to give Conel any scholarship money just to be a back-up/practice partner.  You would think that if Cael told Conel that he would have to wrestle off Shakur or Beard for 197, then Conel would have picked VA Tech or another program where he had a clear path to starting.

Agree that a conversation is very likely to have happened, but bringing Conel on board may not cost Cael/PSU very much, if at all. He's in a STEM program with a high GPA and could qualify for an academic scholarship. He would probably also be eligible for the NCAA's graduate scholarship program, which would be $10k of funding right off the bat.

It just cracks me up with people talking about the what if's.  This program is on top of the NCAA  World in our sport because they know what they are doing.  Personally, I will love to see Kyle in the PSU program.  He seems like a great and likeable kid who has struggled with some emotional problems and life has not been easy on him.  There is always a lot of talk and poking fun of the PSU wrestlers talking about how much fun they have and how much fun they have in this program.  That seems like a good fit for a guy that has struggled some in the past with his life.  Why not go wrestle for the best team, the best coaches, and why not have fun doing it.  I guarantee you that the PSU staff has talked about all the issues brought up and hopefully they discussed all of these with Kyle.  In my experience of being around the team and then hearing from the wrestlers, they do a great job of taking care of their own.  It may cause a little log jam at 197, but they have been able to manage around these issues in the past.  I just wish Kyle good luck and that I hope we continue to see that big smile on his face and that we will be able to see him on the mat next season.  

7 hours ago, Chrissn2001 said:

It's going to be interesting next year when PSU doesn't have a single returning champion.

With your assumption that Joseph and Hall don't repeat as champs, they came into 2015-16 with no "returning champion" and found a way to win NCAAs with a couple of redshirt freshmen making the finals (as well as Megaludis and Retherford returning from RS and winning titles).

They will be in the mix - and maybe that's what Conel wants to be part of?

3 hours ago, gromit said:

yeah, right.  American...of America, huh.  Sorry, it struck a nerve....mental illness is no joke 

You obviously have no sense of humor, hence why you have not seen the movie Dodgeball. 

Edited by BobDole

3 hours ago, gromit said:

My immediate reaction was that Bob Dole meant the American Dodgeball Association of America, which as he pointed out, is from the movie Dodgeball. I'm guessing he's making a joke on the whole "Penn State has fun" thing

1 hour ago, Meatey said:

It just cracks me up with people talking about the what if's.  This program is on top of the NCAA  World in our sport because they know what they are doing.  Personally, I will love to see Kyle in the PSU program.  He seems like a great and likeable kid who has struggled with some emotional problems and life has not been easy on him.  There is always a lot of talk and poking fun of the PSU wrestlers talking about how much fun they have and how much fun they have in this program.  That seems like a good fit for a guy that has struggled some in the past with his life.  Why not go wrestle for the best team, the best coaches, and why not have fun doing it.  I guarantee you that the PSU staff has talked about all the issues brought up and hopefully they discussed all of these with Kyle.  In my experience of being around the team and then hearing from the wrestlers, they do a great job of taking care of their own.  It may cause a little log jam at 197, but they have been able to manage around these issues in the past.  I just wish Kyle good luck and that I hope we continue to see that big smile on his face and that we will be able to see him on the mat next season.  

I wonder how much fun Nevills is having this season?

14 minutes ago, Griff the BullRam said:

My immediate reaction was that Bob Dole meant the American Dodgeball Association of America, which as he pointed out, is from the movie Dodgeball. I'm guessing he's making a joke on the whole "Penn State has fun" thing

In @gromit's defense Dodgeball probably doesn't play routinely on the Lifetime channel.

5 hours ago, Meatey said:

You know this whole idea of culture and fun is really just a bunch of B.S. right? I am sure that it is a ton of fun winning, but do you really just think they laugh and laugh all practice long? What is the picture in your head of the kind of fun they are having that differentiates them from other programs?

When it really comes down to it, a good "fit" for PSU is just the best wrestlers. We are suppose to believe that they have a real thorough vetting process after Cael took Haynes scholarship away a couple years back. He just wasn't a good "fit". If they are so thorough on culture, how does Andrew Long or even Gavin Teasdale end up on the team? Not as thorough with those guys?And I actually don't know, but who cut relations between PSU and Chance Marsteller? Gut says it was Chance who changed his mind. Don't get me wrong. What Cael is doing is damn impressive. The accumulation of talent at this point exceeds the Gable days, but don't tell me about "fit" and fun. Conol is going there because he wins matches and that is it. It is a great way to brand your program, but its BS. 

I was at the NWCA convention a couple years ago. I talked to a coach who had just graduated from PSU. He spent a couple years under Cael and I believe 1 under Sutherland. I asked him, whats the secret? What is so different about PSU right now? His answer was more or less nothing. They practice hard like every one else.

Edited by russelscout

14 hours ago, russelscout said:

I was at the NWCA convention a couple years ago. I talked to a coach who had just graduated from PSU. He spent a couple years under Cael and I believe 1 under Sutherland. I asked him, whats the secret? What is so different about PSU right now? His answer was more or less nothing. They practice hard like every one else.

Of course they do.  They whole "fun" thing became a meme during the Taylor years, but their current guys are pretty self-aware.  

1 minute ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Of course they do.  They whole "fun" thing became a meme during the Taylor years, but their current guys are pretty self-aware.  

I would agree with that. However, when I see something like what @Meatey says its pretty clear that their is an image of what the Penn St. room is that has been perpetuated by that meme. Don't get me wrong at all. I don't want to turn this into a "can Cael actually coach" discussion because he is the best right now. You can see that PSU wrestlers are well prepared, scout and peak better than almost everyone right now, but PSU program is probably run more similar than dissimilar to all the other top programs. Kyle Conol could have had success and found a good stable environment in a lot of rooms, with opportunities to wrestle post-collegiately. Thats the point I was trying to make.

17 hours ago, Griff the BullRam said: