jeffrideal

Freshman Champs that never repeated

I can think of 2 of the top of my head, Tomasello and Schlatter.  I love Myles Martin and hope he wins this year.  If he doesnt, he joins the list.  That would be two under Ryan.  I hope this is not the case. 

Don Rohn, true frosh champ for Clarion at 134 in 1973.  Seeded #8, he beat the #1, #4, and #2.  I heard stories from old timers at Lehigh that Rohn's dad didn't make the long trip to Washington because, "Donny's just a freshman.  I'll go next year when it's not as far." 

Also winning for Clarion that year were Wade Schalles (158) and Bill Simpson (167).  As a non-Division I school, Clarion was ineligible for the team competition.  I've seen differing reports that suggested they would have been 3rd or 4th as a team that year.

Rohn's 4 years were:

• 1973, champ as the #8 seed
  • 1974, 3rd as the #1 seed
  • 1975, DNP - upset in 1st round as the #2 seed.  Didn't get pulled into the repechage
  • 1976, 6th as the #2 seed
Edited by lu_alum

so will Martin join this group, or the one with guys who won as freshmen and then not again until senior year: Mark Branch and Darryl Burley come to mind. is Mollica also on this or did he get his 2nd title as a junior?

Does Burley hold record for longest gap between titles? 1st, 2nd, 2nd, RS, 1st. 

3 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Tied with David Arndt OK St 1941-1942/1946

Note: Others placed in this era

Obviously about WWII The Big One! It was in all the papers!

so had to look him up. 3 x champ, never lost a college match!  

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Tsirtsis

He also wins the award for least convincing champ of all time 
Opened with a 4-1 over Busler
then a 4-3 over English
TB-1 win over Maple
TB-1 win over Houdashelt 
SV-1 win over Kindig
It was absolutely insane he won all those matches, *TIP OF THE CAP

Gerry leeman. 1946 OW.

1947 injured

1948 failed to place under Olympic rules. Then silver in London

1949 injured

He was of course an older frosh due to WW2, but not that old, finishing HS in 1942 or 43(?)

2 hours ago, KTG119 said:

so will Martin join this group, or the one with guys who won as freshmen and then not again until senior year: Mark Branch and Darryl Burley come to mind. is Mollica also on this or did he get his 2nd title as a junior?

Does Burley hold record for longest gap between titles? 1st, 2nd, 2nd, RS, 1st. 

Didn't McCoy win as a freshman and a senior?

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:

He also wins the award for least convincing champ of all time 
Opened with a 4-1 over Busler
then a 4-3 over English
TB-1 win over Maple
TB-1 win over Houdashelt 
SV-1 win over Kindig
It was absolutely insane he won all those matches, *TIP OF THE CAP

John Lockhart would like a word, especially since he was in the era of coin-flip tiebreakers. 

4 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Don Rohn, true frosh champ for Clarion at 134 in 1973.  Seeded #8, he beat the #1, #4, and #2.  I heard stories from old timers at Lehigh that Rohn's dad didn't make the long trip to Washington because, "Donny's just a freshman.  I'll go next year when it's not as far." 

Also winning for Clarion that year were Wade Schalles (158) and Bill Simpson (167).  As a non-Division I school, Clarion was ineligible for the team competition.  I've seen differing reports that suggested they would have been 3rd or 4th as a team that year.

Rohn's 4 years were:

• 1973, champ as the #8 seed
  • 1974, 3rd as the #1 seed
  • 1975, DNP - upset in 1st round as the #2 seed.  Didn't get pulled into the repechage
  • 1976, 6th as the #2 seed

I heard that from the coach Bob Bubb....they would have been 3rd or 4th.  The year before, 1972, they had 2 champions Schalles, and Gary Barton at 134.

Edited by fadzaev2

1 hour ago, Greatdane67 said:

Keith Nix lost in the finals as a freshman and was never heard from again. I always wondered what happened to him afterwards.

He was extremely talented.

I just googled him and saw he died in July. May he rest in peace. 

https://www.turrentinejacksonmorrow.com/obituaries/benjamin-keith-nix

Zeke Moisey might be on the same track.  Runner-up as a TRFR.  Qualified for NCAA tournament the next year but did not compete due to injury.  RS last year.  And now he's heading into the tournament hurt again and could get bounced and go 0-2 with one more year left.  

4 minutes ago, StallWarning said:

Zeke Moisey might be on the same track.  Runner-up as a TRFR.  Qualified for NCAA tournament the next year but did not compete due to injury.  RS last year.  And now he's heading into the tournament hurt again and could get bounced and go 0-2 with one more year left.  

He placed last year too

10 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

He placed last year too

You know, I could have sworn this was his last year and when I went and looked him up on the WVU site I brain farted and didn't realize 16-17 was NOT last year.  They don't have the 17-18 info for him on their site which I think is why I was confused.  

the funny thing with nato was he just couldn't get past Iowa on Friday night.

Sophomore year when Nico won... he had one minor slip up to gilman… still think he was the best wrestler that year

junior year when clark won... he had one minor slip up to clark… still think he was the best wrestler that year

sr year when spencer won... he had a torn acl.

1 hour ago, lurshy92 said:

the funny thing with nato was he just couldn't get past Iowa on Friday night.

Sophomore year when Nico won... he had one minor slip up to gilman… still think he was the best wrestler that year

junior year when clark won... he had one minor slip up to clark… still think he was the best wrestler that year

sr year when spencer won... he had a torn acl.

That's a bit of a stretch. Tomasello is something like 1-7 against Gilman and has been beaten by him again since then. It's hard to call that loss a "minor slip up." If anything, his one win over Gilman at Big Tens was a slip up on Gilman's part. That year was all about match ups. Nato beats Megaludis. Gilman beats Nato.  Megaludis beats Gilman.

He also only beat a badly injured Clark at Big Tens on a literal last second escape before being beaten straight up by him at NCAAs (7-4 I think). Not sure I'd say he was for sure the best guy there, especially when we didn't even see him against Gross either.