Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Three 3x champions?

I’m not sure if this has been discussed before, but Penn state has a very realistic chance to have three wrestlers become three time national champions in the same year. Has that ever happened before? I would have to think that would be a first, right? It would be a very impressive feat. Obviously Nolf and Nickal are about 99% to win it. Joseph is my pick to win 165 as well just because he is a gamer. However his chances are probably less than 50%, so it may not happen but it would be incredible if it does!

Edited by Eagle26

3 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I’m not sure if this has been discussed before, but Penn state has a very realistic chance to have three wrestlers become three time national champions in the same year. Has that ever happened before? I would have to think that would be a first, right? It would be a very impressive feat. Obviously Nolf and Nickal are about 99% to win it. Joseph is my pick to win 165 as well just because he is a gamer. However I have his chances at closer to 30%... having to likely beat both Zahid and Marinelli (or whoever come out of that brutal top half!). Realistically those matches are both toss ups, so it may not happen but it would be incredible if it does.

Zahid is at 174 

2 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I’m not sure if this has been discussed before, but Penn state has a very realistic chance to have three wrestlers become three time national champions in the same year. Has that ever happened before? I would have to think that would be a first, right? It would be a very impressive feat. Obviously Nolf and Nickal are about 99% to win it. Joseph is my pick to win 165 as well just because he is a gamer. However I have his chances at closer to 30%... having to likely beat both Zahid and Marinelli (or whoever come out of that brutal top half!). Realistically those matches are both toss ups, so it may not happen but it would be incredible if it does.

Don’t think Cenzo will have to beat Zahid this weekend. 

17 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I’m not sure if this has been discussed before, but Penn state has ...

no one has discussed Penn State before on these here forums, do they have a wrestling team?  ;_;

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

no one has discussed Penn State before on these here forums, do they have a wrestling team?  ;_;

Haha yeah that’s the weird thing... everyone is all about Penn State but I never recall anyone mentioning if this would be a historic feat or not? 

13 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Iowa must have done it. I will leave it to the more energetic posters to cite the year and name the names.

Doubtful, how many 3x Iowa champs can you name?

A quick scan of the wiki history page seems to indicate It hasn’t happened yet, at least since the mid-60s. What is apparent is that it’s extremely rare to have three become 3 timers in the same year from the entire field, much less one team. It happened in ‘83 (Carr, Schultz, Banach). Yet, last season there was a chance for 4 (Retherford, Snyder, Martinez and Heil)

What is also impressive is that before Cael arrived at PSU I believe they did not have a single 3X champ.  They currently have two and are going to add at least two more this weekend totaling at least four 3X champs since Cael Sanderson took over at PSU.  That is pretty incredible.  

Edited by StallWarning

Boy this can be a tough crowd !

It is incredibly rare to be a 3x champ as it is. There haven’t been that many at all. Thirty total since 1959 (this includes four 4x champs)  this. So if there are three crowned this year it ups the total number by 10% over 60 years is pretty incredible. 

Here are some other facts you can glean from the same site:

Iowa and Oklahoma State both had six 3x champs but Ok gets the nod because one was Pat Smith who won it four times. Iowa State has had three. Penn State one (Ruth) 

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Didn't I expressly say I wanted other people to do the work?

So, Iowa's 3 timers are: Ed Banach, Barry Davis, Jim Zalesky, Tom Brands, Lincoln Mac, Joe Williams. None of them overlapped for their #3; the closest they came was 1983 when Barry Davis and Jim Zalesky each won #2, and Banach won #3. In 1997 MacIlravy won #3 and WIlliams won #2.

OK State's six 3 timers are so far apart it's not even worth doing the work.

17 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

Boy this can be a tough crowd !

It is incredibly rare to be a 3x champ as it is. There haven’t been that many at all. Thirty total since 1959 (this includes four 4x champs)  this. So if there are three crowned this year it ups the total number by 10% over 60 years is pretty incredible. 

Here are some other facts you can glean from the same site:

Iowa and Oklahoma State both had six 3x champs but Ok gets the nod because one was Pat Smith who won it four times. Iowa State has had three. Penn State one (Ruth) 

The site is not updated with last year's winners, but if so it would move Zain Retherford into the 3X level for PSU.  You are right in that being a 3X champ is not something that happens often.  It's incredibly difficult.  Heck winning 2 titles is incredible if you ask me.

34 minutes ago, StallWarning said:

What is also impressive is that before Cael arrived at PSU I believe they did not have a single 3X champ.  They currently have two and are going to add at least two more this weekend totaling at least four 3X champs since Cael Sanderson took over at PSU.  That is pretty incredible.  

Not bad for a guy who "can't coach", is it?

Saw the same attitude directed at Cael's father on the High School level when in Utah. Some other coaches did not like the success Steve Sanderson had and would make snide remarks about it at tournaments. Was sad to see that they would bad mouth him rather than celebrate his success. Same thing I see with a few here. Almost anything to explain the success at Penn State other than "Cael is a good coach".

56 minutes ago, custom fitch said:

So, Iowa's 3 timers are: Ed Banach, Barry Davis, Jim Zalesky, Tom Brands, Lincoln Mac, Joe Williams. None of them overlapped for their #3; the closest they came was 1983 when Barry Davis and Jim Zalesky each won #2, and Banach won #3. In 1997 MacIlravy won #3 and WIlliams won #2.

YEAH,  I was wrong. As others have noted, there have been just 40 or so 3-time champs in 70 or 80 years. That's about one-half per year. So three in one year would be remarkable. 

Also, you would think there would be fewer, not more, per year as time goes on and sports become more competitive.

1 hour ago, custom fitch said:

Davis and Zalesky would have likely both collected their 3rd in 84 but Barry was concentrating on freestyle and made the Olympics. He came back in 85 to get his 3rd. 

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

YEAH,  I was wrong. As others have noted, there have been just 40 or so 3-time champs in 70 or 80 years. That's about one-half per year. So three in one year would be remarkable. 

Also, you would think there would be fewer, not more, per year as time goes on and sports become more competitive.

But perhaps you meant northern Iowa?  There actually were several undefeated 3x national champs before Gable even made his failed attempt.  The most likely with 3 - 3x might've been Northern Iowa, with the overlap of Koll, Nelson, Young, and Smith.  Young, Nelson & Smith all won it in 49 & 50.  Young got his 3x in 51, Nelson was 3x in 50, Smith was 2x in 50 think could've been 3x in 51 but recall from conversation with one of them (staying same hotel at OKC NCAAs with him) that should've been there but injury or other issue actually think it was a not allowed to compete issue last year.  The difficulty in the era with only 3 years to compete is you had to be lucky enough that that all 3 studs were So same year.  Again, Koll, Young, Nelson all 3x and crossed over but not 3x same year and Smith could've been, so 4 guys who could've/should've just not exact same year but overlapped same team, same time.

3 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Wonder what this meant then?  Someone didn't do their homework I guess?

IMG_4060.PNG

Interesting... Gotta believe that’s wrong, but it’s weird that they would say something that actually makes it seem less impressive than it is. Wondering if there is something we are missing?