Sign in to follow this  
ConnorsDad

Cael said "Wrestling needs more scholarships"

1 minute ago, ConnorsDad said:

Why UNC? I'm not disagreeing I just don't know. I guess if I had thought about it a little longer all those great basketball players were probably not good enough students to get in. Is that what you're saying?

they had a cheating scandal in bball and fball not long ago

Being a huge West Wing fan, there is an exchange between Josh and Donna, pertaining to Title IX and scholarships. It hits the nail on the head:

Donna: It's not the fault of women's sports. It's the fault of football.

Josh: It's the fault of football?

Donna: Yeah.

Josh: Football pays for all the other sports.

Donna: There are 53 players on an NFL team. The University of Colorado has 130, 85 of whom are on full scholarship. I'm all for backups and substitutes but can't the guy who's fourth on the depth chart at right outside linebacker also be the fourth on the depth chart at left outside linebacker? If a college football team cut back to 70 scholarships, they'd still be three deep at every position and have a fourth-string punter and place kicker. 15 scholarships ... that's a wrestling team!

There you have it. 

I don't see how moving to 10 or 12 scholarships would cause programs to fold. There are already schools that don't fully fund and this wouldn't change it. The only thing that would hurt in my opinion is going to say 15 and making wrestling a head count sport.

It will always be hard to have a level playing field. The big boys will always be the big boys.

16 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

No, that was not my premise. I was just wondering what everybody thought. Not having been involved in college wrestling I have no idea and I was just looking for people's opinion. After reading tightwaist's post the more I think about it the more I think he is right. The more scholarships it would make the bigger programs even tougher to compete with and more small programs that are not fully funded would simply drop by the wayside. I don't know who those programmes are so maybe somebody here could tell us if they know for sure of division 1 programs that are not fully funded.

True. I understand your post. I was referring to tightwaist's post. #AllGood. Nice topic. 

14 minutes ago, GockeS said:

and they let celebs into school and on teams for millions!!

Crazy, huh? Frankly I don't have a problem with parents trying to give their kids the edge, but these school administrators (coaches, deans, etc) who accept the bribes should be outed as a hypocritical scum they are.

16 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Why UNC? I'm not disagreeing I just don't know. I guess if I had thought about it a little longer all those great basketball players were probably not good enough students to get in. Is that what you're saying?

UNC's athletic department was involved in a massive scandal, concerning mostly the bball and football teams. Surprised you didn't hear about it, but for decades UNC bballers and footballers kinda had the option not to attend classes AT ALL, amongst other improprieties. One of the worst things about it was that UNC had a stellar reputation as a topnotch academic option. Well, they blew that. Here, check it out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Carolina_academic-athletic_scandal

4 hours ago, tightwaist said:

More scholarships would take the sport from roughly 75 teams, down to about 30 or so...pretty quickly.   Worst idea ever.  The rich will get richer, and those struggling to stay marginally competitive would have even more justification to shut down their programs.   

Exactly.

Over half the D1 programs don't even have the 9.9 now.

We need more D1 programs even if those new programs don't have the full 9.9.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

UNC's athletic department was involved in a massive scandal, concerning mostly the bball and football teams. Surprised you didn't hear about it, but for decades UNC bballers and footballers kinda had the option not to attend classes AT ALL, amongst other improprieties. One of the worst things about it was that UNC had a stellar reputation as a topnotch academic option. Well, they blew that. Here, check it out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Carolina_academic-athletic_scandal

Thanks Tobus. As soon as you mentioned it I recalled it but as you get older you get CRS and I wasn't even thinking clearly as per usual. Thanks for the link, interesting article.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Man, that's not a small scandal. That is major. Losing that accreditation I know from my university would really hurt. I hate to be so cynical as I get older but every year it just seems like there's more and more cheating from different areas all the time. No, I'm not one of those old guys that thinks everything was perfect back in his day. But in the last few years we've seen different types of dishonesty and now parents paying schools to say their kids were athletic recruits because schools get waivers for athletes. I don't have a problem with the waiver for athletics because you want a well-rounded student body but I was sickened by that. How many kids who were deserving got left out? But a lot of times people with that kind of money don't give a good goddamn about anybody but themselves. Oh well, back to the truly only clean sport, wrestling!

7 hours ago, JeanGuy said:

I don't see how moving to 10 or 12 scholarships would cause programs to fold. There are already schools that don't fully fund and this wouldn't change it. The only thing that would hurt in my opinion is going to say 15 and making wrestling a head count sport.

It will always be hard to have a level playing field. The big boys will always be the big boys.

teams like PSU would be able to stockpile even more talent. while some team that has 5 schollies...still will have 5.

yeah equality.

7 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Crazy, huh? Frankly I don't have a problem with parents trying to give their kids the edge, but these school administrators (coaches, deans, etc) who accept the bribes should be outed as a hypocritical scum they are.

i have a problem with parents trying to give their kids an edge.

it's why we have so many kids who dont know how to behave.

1 hour ago, de4856 said:

I agree with Cael and some of the other posters, Wrestling needs more scholarships and more programs. 

Sure, as long as we split half the teams into D1 A and D1 AA like football because it would be absolutely pointless for 35 of the teams to even be considered D1.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:00 PM, ConnorsDad said:

Cael said wrestling needs more scholarships

The good news is that he can personally help to provide more scholarship opportunities for college wrestlers.  By simply donating money to Cleveland State, CSU-Bakersfield, Bloomsburg, Sacred Heart and all the other programs that are not offering the full allotment of scholarships because they can't afford them he can increase the scholarship money in D1 wrestling.  There are many programs that aren't offering the maximum number of scholarships so we can raise the number of scholarships available to D1 wrestlers without needing to expand the number of D1 programs or raise the NCAA scholarship limit for a team.

With his help, we will be able to get more scholarship opportunities for wrestlers in Division-I.  It may even lead to further parity and make the team races even more exciting for fans.  Win-win!  

Currently increasing the 9.9 limit would only further separate the programs that offer the full number and the ones that currently don't offer 9.9 or even come close.  Further separate the programs with massive athletic departments and small schools. 

Financial aid wise, what is needed is for more of the smaller DI schools to put more in creating financial aid packages for male student-athletes like they do female student-athletes (Or get state legislatures to reverse the trend of funding state Us through tuition instead of state tax money.  Make the student loans state funded not federal.  lol, no chance in hell).  

But that isn't going to happen, as they generally need to scour the countryside for female athletes while males will show up and pay to participate...well, not as easy now given the drastically increased tuition costs, just look at the Cal State rosters for various sports - more and more of the top California talent is leaving the state or not competing in college, lot easier to get a guy when tuition was under $1000 or even $2500 as opposed to $8-10k.