ConnorsDad

NCAA Session 1 Thread

17 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I know where you are going with your response, Willie, but not all Sumo wrestlers are Japanese as once was the case. The strongest Sumo today is not Japanese. He is from Mongolia. 

I know this. But, if you want top Sumo Japan is the place to be. If you are Stoll and want to look big against mediocrity - Chinese Sump circuit...

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Unless Parris is the weakest human on the planet, nobody can push anybody that quickly backwards.

You are 100% correct. Parris is on roller skates avoiding engaging with Sam. If he did, he probably get bounced on his head.

21 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I know where you are going with your response, Willie, but not all Sumo wrestlers are Japanese as once was the case. The strongest Sumo today is not Japanese. He is from Mongolia. 

Yeah, but it's still most popular in Japan, and is done there far more than anywhere else. No one is going to China to learn and participate in Sumo.

11 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

I know this. But, if you want top Sumo Japan is the place to be. If you are Stoll and want to look big against mediocrity - Chinese Sump circuit...

I bet he'd get tossed out against any of them. They weigh even more than he does. 

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Your dislike for his style is not the same thing as Stoll stalling.  His style didn't used to be limited, it was just greco-based, and thus less aesthetically pleasing to most Americans.  When people pushed back into Stoll, they got thrown to their back often.  He's more limited now, thanks to the gunshot, but it's not how he was previously.

It’s a strange thing- People seem to use him having the terrible misfortune of getting shot as either a source of comedy or an opportunity to hate on his resulting limited style.  Empathy is not exactly thriving these days.

I do understand that he shot himself, but that doesn’t make it any less terrible in my view. 

Edited by Cradle1

2 hours ago, boconnell said:

Then how do you explain Geer at 26?  You can ignore his season at 184 and he has more than enough resume to be in the teens.  It is extremely clear they punished weight dropping beyond the merits.

I don't and I'll be honest I did not look at his case that closely. I'm quite certain the committee / coaches were inconsistent in cases for the reasons they did something just as the basketball committee is there. A lot of times those groups have preconceived notions and they use whatever criteria we'll fit where they want to put somebody or some team. I will say that I thought there was a numerical formula that took into account RPI, coaches ranking and a few other things and once that was done that was supposed to be your seed and there was a little bit of wiggle room. I wont keep rehashing as you are one of the intelligent posters here so I know you get the point I'm trying to make. I was just commenting on John Smith's case by itself. I guess I could sum up my feelings thusly:

1. I like the fact that RPI and the coaches ranking require a certain number of matches for you to be in there. If you're not wrestling at that weight class, for whatever reason, then it's going to hurt you seed wise. Seeding should be based on your body of work for that season. I keep harping on this point but most of the time a person doesn't have that many matches it's because they were either hurt or dropping weight late in the year. And in that case, they're not the wrestler that they would normally be at the weight they've been wrestling and arbitrarily putting them in some seed they did not learn because of perceived skill level is doing a disservice to the wrestlers who did earn it.

You (I dont mean you personally) can't say Joe Smith should be seeded higher because he's a really good 174 pounder. We all saw what happened at the Big 12 tournament which is nothing special. Sure, as the season would wear on and he would get used to the weight cut and probably be that high. There is nobody who is going to be at their optimal level or peak performance if they've only had a few matches throughout the year regardless of who they are. Might they be better than their seed? Possibly but it's not something we could know for certain. I think I speak fairly objectively when I say very few if anybody thought Smith would finish fifth at the Big 12 as long as he made the weight. Yes he started out well versus Alex today but again not having wrestled caused him to be less than his top self at whatever weight. And he didn't even have that many matches at 174 if memory serves me correctly. Anyway thanks for listening or reading my rant.

17 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Did he shoot himself or was he shot by a teammate? Either way, I took him for my 285 and I'm happy.  I see him on the podium

Vince Turk shot him. He has also had two ACL tears. Not easy for a big guy to be mobile with all that damage.

The pool I am in gives you 1000 points to pick a team and the points are based on seed. Took Stoll/Geer for 5 points each which allowed me to spend 196 each on Nickal/Nolf.

2 hours ago, lu_alum said:

25% HTH: only head-to-head at 165 was v the guys who beat him at Big 12
20% Quality Wins: 4-2 record at 165 coming. 0-2 v the other 32 in the field
15% CP Rank: Final CP rank was 17th
10% Common Opponents: see Quality Wins
10% RPI: No RPI
10% Qualifying Event placement: 5th of 5 in his Qualifying Event
10% Win Pct: Not enough bouts for Win Pct

He is either at the bottom of, or doesn’t meet requirements for 85% of the seeding criteria. His only positive was CP Rank of #17.

#33 sounds about right to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, I agree. I've been looking for that for the last 20 minutes. Yes for everybody thinking Smith deserve the higher seed this is what they use. It's a formula with a little wiggle room at the end I believe. And I don't think the last five spots are seeded either I think it's a random assignment. 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

I bet he'd get tossed out against any of them. They weigh even more than he does. 

I think you're right. Some of them weigh twice what he does. Chad Rowan, the former sumo who was from Hawaii also known as a Akebono, was like 6'8" 490 lbs. or something like that.

Just now, ConnorsDad said:

Thank you, I agree. I've been looking for that for the last 20 minutes. Yes for everybody thinking Smith deserve the higher seed this is what they use. It's a formula with a little wiggle room at the end I believe. And I don't think the last five spots are seeded either I think it's a random assignment. 

This was wrong because Marinelli was the 1 seed and had a super tough match first round. Thats not such a bad thing, but everyone in the whole wrestling world knew it was going to be a tough match first round. That shouldn't be happening. If the seeding system cannot account for outstanding variables, and apply common sense, then there is something wrong with it.