ConnorsDad

NCAA Session 1 Thread

6 minutes ago, pamela said:

Looked like Fix had him flat there.

He also turned him twice in that last 30 seconds.  He stuck him with the nearside cradle, a scramble ensued and he locked up the low leg cradle as a completely different move with the lock broken for like 10 seconds.  Smith challenged to try for the TF and lost a challenge trying to get that 1/2 point.  I hope that challenge isn't needed in a few days.  

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Vak, are you sure your cable provider carries espn3? You can watch the broadcast if you do the 5 day free trial from YouTube if you don't have espnu

I should have it as near as I can tell.  But it doesn't matter, it won't even let me open the player to LOOK at at the options.

Just now, ConnorsDad said:

I know the coaches would go ape ****t if every official reffed like they did in DeSanto's first match, but if they did our 3-2 + 2-1 matches would go by the wayside if they were hit with stalling that quick. And everybody knows - you, me, etc. when a guy is stalling. It's pretty obvious. They just don't call it as often as they should and that's not all on them because I think coaches would go berserk. I haven't even watched that match yet but having somebody get disqualified that fast means he was obviously doing something or not doing something as the case may be. You don't want to wrestle hit him with a stall call. He keeps doing it hit him again. It drives me insane when officials bend down and tell the guy he better start doing something or they're going to call stalling. They know the rules,  call it. You don't see NFL officials tell a guy don't hold again or I'll call it next time. 

They hit Murin early. He did score the only significant TD and scrambles saved Murin, but Moran kept shooting and Murin was holding on.

1 minute ago, ConnorsDad said:

I know the coaches would go ape ****t if every official reffed like they did in DeSanto's first match, but if they did our 3-2 + 2-1 matches would go by the wayside if they were hit with stalling that quick. And everybody knows - you, me, etc. when a guy is stalling. It's pretty obvious. They just don't call it as often as they should and that's not all on them because I think coaches would go berserk. I haven't even watched that match yet but having somebody get disqualified that fast means he was obviously doing something or not doing something as the case may be. You don't want to wrestle hit him with a stall call. He keeps doing it hit him again. It drives me insane when officials bend down and tell the guy he better start doing something or they're going to call stalling. They know the rules,  call it. You don't see NFL officials tell a guy don't hold again or I'll call it next time. 

Even if a memo went out to the refs to call stalling more aggressively, refs would still call it differently. The step out rule would be a much more consistent way of encouraging action.

3 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I agree more stalling could help.  

The problem is when a match is officiated (possible correctly) in a manner in which a match hasn't been officiated all year.  Guys have to know what to expect.

3 minutes ago, Katie said:

Even if a memo went out to the refs to call stalling more aggressively, refs would still call it differently. The step out rule would be a much more consistent way of encouraging action.

Stalling was one of the officials' points of emphasis for the tournament, but I'm not sure what they mean by "traditional stall call" (as opposed to a nontraditional one?).

4 minutes ago, boconnell said:

He also turned him twice in that last 30 seconds.  He stuck him with the nearside cradle, a scramble ensued and he locked up the low leg cradle as a completely different move with the lock broken for like 10 seconds.  Smith challenged to try for the TF and lost a challenge trying to get that 1/2 point.  I hope that challenge isn't needed in a few days.  

That challenge was IMO dumb. It's a judgment call by the ref as to whether the defensive wrestler had the opportunity to defend himself. I'm not sure you're ever going to win a challenge like that. 

I get the reason but that challenge is way more important.