ConnorsDad

NCAA Session 1 Thread

Just now, pawrestler said:

Bad idea to take down in the 2nd

If it would have been the 3rd period, I would agree. But, fresh off the 1st with a 4-2 lead, that escape would have been huge. Almost 2 more full periods on his feet would have probably been even harder on him with the pace and heavy hands of Marinelli. 

Just now, Zebra said:

He did not award the first NF at the time the second hold was applied and you can see it in the video. Now you can say he should have but my point was about the challenge which was going to be tough to win in that case and totally unnecessary in that match. 

i am going off of memory in real time... 

which, even under the best of circumstances is shady as fuk...

1 minute ago, Zebra said:

He did not award the first NF at the time the second hold was applied and you can see it in the video. Now you can say he should have but my point was about the challenge which was going to be tough to win in that case and totally unnecessary in that match. 

If the ref watched the video like he was seeing it for the first time it's an easy 8 points.  But he didn't.  He watched it to try to confirm his judgement so he decided there was nothing that absolutely, positively demanded he change his call and admit he was wrong.  

You can fall back on match mechanics and talk of judgement calls, but you know watching the video it was called wrong.  That's why you've avoided weighing in.  

Either way it was a dumb challenge from Smith.  

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

His tank isn't non-existent, he's just cutting huge weight and he had maybe (along w/ Cenzo) the best tank in the weight as an opponent.  That was an awkward style match up for Marinelli, so I'm glad he kept at it.

my thoughts watching the match is that joe is good enough to win that weight talent wise... and if he had been at 65 all year he might have had the shape to last the entire match...

but...

woulda coulda shoulda

2 minutes ago, Red95 said:

If you want a decent seed you actually have to wrestle the weight during the season. And get better than 5th at your conference tournament.

Say what you want, that match proved the seeding committee did a horrible job. Nothing else to say. 

3 minutes ago, Red95 said:

If you want a decent seed you actually have to wrestle the weight during the season. And get better than 5th at your conference tournament.

Who said give him a decent seed.  People are saying he shouldn't be #33.  He doesn't need more then his current resume to be seeded in the 20s where he belonged.  Was his 4-2 record at the weight really worse than the guy who was 6-9?  They put him 33 to punish the weight drop rather than to accurately seed him.  I'm glad it hurt the guy it was intended to hurt and not the guy who kicked butt and earned a #1 seed.

2 minutes ago, boconnell said:

If the ref watched the video like he was seeing it for the first time it's an easy 8 points.  But he didn't.  He watched it to try to confirm his judgement so he decided there was nothing that absolutely, positively demanded he change his call and admit he was wrong.  

You can fall back on match mechanics and talk of judgement calls, but you know watching the video it was called wrong.  That's why you've avoided weighing in.  

Either way it was a dumb challenge from Smith.  

Video replays have to have clear and convincing evidence the original call is wrong just like in Football. Judgment calls will be hard to overturn and always will be. Maybe they should but that's a different discussion. 

1 minute ago, boconnell said:

Who said give him a decent seed.  People are saying he shouldn't be #33.  He doesn't need more then his current resume to be seeded in the 20s where he belonged.  Was his 4-2 record at the weight really worse than the guy who was 6-9?  They put him 33 to punish the weight drop rather than to accurately seed him.  I'm glad it hurt the guy it was intended to hurt and not the guy who kicked butt and earned a #1 seed.

Isn't the 33 is kind of arbitrary? I thought the committee randomly drew the pigtails from the last handful of guys qualified in the weight, then gives them a seed based on that.

Just now, Zebra said:

Video replays have to have clear and convincing evidence the original call is wrong just like in Football. Judgment calls will be hard to overturn and always will be. Maybe they should but that's a different discussion. 

They wouldn't be hard if you didn't have a guy reviewing his own work to decide if he was wrong on national TV.  The NFL is terrible on the reviews because of that fact.  MLB has a neutral guy decide and gets them almost perfect.  It's not right to have a ref go review his own work.  There's a built in and unavoidable bias.

4 minutes ago, pamela said:

Isn't the 33 is kind of arbitrary? I thought the committee randomly drew the pigtails from the last handful of guys qualified in the weight, then gives them a seed based on that.

They seeded all 33 this year and every pigtail was 32 vs 33.  They evaluated everything and made him the 33rd seed.  They even seeded the at large WV guy who finished behind him at Big 12s #29.  So he at least has the resume to be 29 if you want to pretend the 174 matches don't exist.  The #33 seed was a message against dropping weights.

Just like Geer has a top 10 resume in the weight class and was put #26.  

Edited by boconnell

They seeded all 33 this year and every pigtail was 32 vs 33.  They evaluated everything and made him the 33rd seed.

They take a hard stance against people cutting down late in the year, and do pretty much nothing about ducking. That's what bothers me.

They seeded all 33 this year and every pigtail was 32 vs 33.  They evaluated everything and made him the 33rd seed.

They seeded all 33 but the last 4 or so were seeded after the pigtails were randomly drawn.

16 minutes ago, LJB said:

i am going off of memory in real time... 

which, even under the best of circumstances is shady as fuk...

To be fair I did not see he was still holding 4 until the replay. I too thought he had awarded the first 4.