Sign in to follow this  
LungOne

ESPN Announcers

Not sure if this has been covered in another topic.

Any word on potential ESPN announcers for the tournament?

I thought I heard rumblings about Robles.....?

I really liked JD Bergmann this year on BTN, he is obviously very knowledgable and speaks very well.

Good to hear a younger man's style of speech, he was brutally honest and didn't show his tOSU bias.

Seeing as the tournament is making the big ORDER change, maybe looking at changing announcers could help too, go younger.

*no disrespect to whoever is currently doing them, I don't even know, I've always watched in person.

I do remember seeing Jeff Blatnick on their when I was younger, hopefully they do a "RIP segment" for him on the coverage.

Here's another copy of the schedule. Anthony Robles was absolutely tremendous last year and will be back in the seat again. Announcers listed below...

2013 NCAA Wrestling Championships Schedule:

Date Time Match Network

Thu, Mar 21 Noon NCAA Wrestling Championships First Round

(Session 1: Mat 1, Mat 2, Mat 3, Mat 4)

Shawn Kenney & Jim Gibbons

ESPN3

7:30 p.m. NCAA Wrestling Championships Second Round

(Session 2: Mat 1, Mat 2, Mat 3, Mat 4)

Shawn Kenney & Jim Gibbons

ESPN3

Fri, Mar 22 11 a.m. NCAA Wrestling Championships Quarterfinals

(Session 3: Mat 1, Mat 2, Mat 3, Mat 4)

Adam Amin, Tim Johnson, Anthony Robles & Quint Kessenich

ESPNU/ ESPN3

7 p.m. NCAA Wrestling Championships Semifinals (Session 4)

Adam Amin, Tim Johnson, Anthony Robles & Quint Kessenich ESPNU

Sat, Mar 23 11 a.m. NCAA Wrestling Championships Medal Round

Shawn Kenney, Tim Johnson & Anthony Robles ESPNU

8 p.m. NCAA Wrestling Championships Finals

Adam Amin, Tim Johnson, Anthony Robles & Quint Kessenich ESPN

I do not like Quint Kessenich giving interviews immediately when the wrestlers get off the mat. The wrestler's don't get a chance to celebrate or recover. It can't be easy to give a national TV interview, after 7 minutes on the mat. If ESPN gave the wrestlers a couple of matches then interviewed the wrestlers, I think they would get some very good interviews. It would go a long way for ESPN and the sport.

Miss Jeff Blatnick.

I do not like Quint Kessenich giving interviews immediately when the wrestlers get off the mat. The wrestler's don't get a chance to celebrate or recover. It can't be easy to give a national TV interview, after 7 minutes on the mat. If ESPN gave the wrestlers a couple of matches then interviewed the wrestlers, I think they would get some very good interviews. It would go a long way for ESPN and the sport.

Miss Jeff Blatnick.

Yeah, you bring up another change that will likely be seen in near future. It's a back in the day thing. Back when Nothwestern coach Ken Kraft was the color commentator. They interviewed wrestlers as they came off of the mats. Or soon thereafter.

As I recall college, I would be hard pressed to carry on a fluent conversation with anyone as I walked off of the mat. And for the most part I trained hard.

Miss Jeff Blatnick.

Yeah, you bring up another change that will likely be seen in near future. It's a back in the day thing. Back when Nothwestern coach Ken Kraft was the color commentator. They interviewed wrestlers as they came off of the mats. Or soon thereafter.

As I recall college, I would be hard pressed to carry on a fluent conversation with anyone as I walked off of the mat. And for the most part I trained hard.

Interesting, I did not know that.

They should just show wrestlers when they are normally done with a round. Most wrestlers do this after the quarters and consi finals, and then they have the official press release they could show for semifinal and finals winner. Maybe soon they will cover these.

I watched almost all of the BIG wrestling duals this season on BTN and there were only 2 announcers IMO that were knowledgeable, articulate and enjoyable to listen to :

- JD Bergman (Ohio St.) & Gordon Bierschenk (Minnesota).

Both ex-BIG wrestlers.

You can play a drinking game with Tim Johnson. Every time he mentions Iowa or an Iowa wrestler during a match where no Hawkeye is wrestling, you take a drink. Need to have plenty of beer.

If you play that game you better have your DVR set so you can watch the last couple matches the next morning after you wake up with a hangover.

you can play the same game watching Jim Gibbons call a BTN dual, every time he says a wrestler is going to "go ahead and" (fill in the blank) when describing the action. I've counted 15+ during a single match on many occasions. Maybe it's a Midwest lingo thing...this coming from an East Coast fan with likely an equally annoying vernacular. :)

Interesting, I'll have to listen for the "go ahead and" phrase, hadn't noticed before. (But then Pittsburgh is the gateway to the Midwest, so maybe I'm local with this one.)

My personal favorite that I think you could get pretty drunk on is if you listened for "shoelaces up/shoelaces flat on the mat" on the BTN broadcasts.

Miss Jeff Blatnick.

I can't stand the post march interviews done as they are. I actually suggested in my thank you message to ESPN last year that they delay them a bit. I don't expect it to make a difference, but if others feel the same way, it can't hurt. I preferred the way it was handled at B1Gs.

Interesting, I'll have to listen for the "go ahead and" phrase, hadn't noticed before. (But then Pittsburgh is the gateway to the Midwest, so maybe I'm local with this one.)

My personal favorite that I think you could get pretty drunk on is if you listened for "shoelaces up/shoelaces flat on the mat" on the BTN broadcasts.

Hey lightweight, did you "go ahead and" listen for it? I was gonna "go ahead and" try to keep track, but I lost count after the first 5 minutes.

I dare anyone to "go ahead and" try the Jim "go ahead and" Gibbons drinking game tonight.....I guarantee you won't be able to "go ahead and" wake up in time to watch tomorrow mornings quarterfinals session. :P

Hey lightweight, did you "go ahead and" listen for it? I was gonna "go ahead and" try to keep track, but I lost count after the first 5 minutes.

I dare anyone to "go ahead and" try the Jim "go ahead and" Gibbons drinking game tonight.....I guarantee you won't make it up in time to "go ahead and" watch tomorrow mornings quarterfinals session. :P

Sorry piggy, it was too early in the day to start drinking. But I'll go ahead and give it a try tonight.

go ahead and try it.

Come to think of it, I might go ahead and watch one of the replays so I can go ahead and get started now that it's happy hour!

And I'll be sure to go ahead and set my dvr for tomorrow as a fail safe. :)

just thought I'd "go ahead and" BUMP this thread...considering I'm only half way thru watching my DVR of the BTN WIS/MSU dual from earlier today and I've already counted 37 from Jim "go ahead and" Gibbons thru 157.

Good thing I wasn't playing the game or I'd be comatose... :P

I have a series recording set up for WRESTLING on BTN 1650 on uverse. Why TF was it listed as BASKETBALL? All I caught was the last period of the last match...

Pisses me off!!

That picture by Medicine Man is golden. I hope Quint sees it, I'm sure he'll love it too.

Yes, Robles is excellent in the booth. And if ESPN's Tim Johnson ever needs a sub, for sure Jason Bryant can do a nice, knowledgeable play by play. He did it at the World's.

just thought I'd "go ahead and" BUMP this thread...considering I'm only half way thru watching my DVR of the BTN WIS/MSU dual from earlier today and I've already counted 37 from Jim "go ahead and" Gibbons thru 157.

Good thing I wasn't playing the game or I'd be comatose... :P

:shock: Just make sure you don't attempt a trip to Taco Bell after playing

Tim Johnson is a homerish tool. I hope they replace him right quick. Maybe Daniel Cormier. He likes wrestling better than he likes one team. I remember the Tim Johnson line that will forever make me dislike him, when he said "He needs to get up and walk off, let's win right too" in regards to Caldwell beating Metcalf.