pamela

NCAA Session 2 Thread

7 - 10:30pm ... Session II - second round, ESPN & ESPN3 (8 mats) -- woohoo, prime time coverage!

Hope I'm not starting this too early, but I have to step out for a little bit and wanted to get my predictions, etc. in and see everyone else's when I return - esp on the consi side which I haven't looked at yet.

Mine:

125 - chalk (Lee + Picc WBF 1st period)
133 - Tariq over Lizak, and Pletcher vs. Bridges will be decided in SV with Pletcher winning
141 - Storr over Demas, Murin over Carr
149 - Berge over Klodz, Thorn over Mauller
157 - chalk (Nolf WBF)
165 - chalk
174 - Labriola over Smith
184 - Venz over Preisch, Geer over Colbray
197 - chalk (Nickal WBF)
285 - Stoll over Jennings, Hemida over Hilger

We have time, I gotta ask, and don't want to start a new thread. Anyone think Young can make the finals at 57? Deakin hasn't looked great, he smashed hayes last time, and barely lost to Berger. Young seems to look better every match. Am I crazy for thinking he has a shot there? 

125 Chalk

133 Rooting for Tariq. Toss up. Lizak rehydrated is dangerous. Agree on Pletcher in OT 

141Demas>Storr, I hope Carr wins but picking Murin

149 Waffling on both of these. Originally chose berge>Klodz. I'm going Berge and Mauller

157 chalk

165 chalk (Watch out for Mekhi. He looked awesome R1. Coming for the title)

174 Labriola over Smith (not confident at all)

184 Preisch over Venz, Geer over Colbray, rooting for the reverse on both

197 chalk

285 Hemida>Hilger

Edited by Housebuye

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

We have time, I gotta ask, and don't want to start a new thread. Anyone think Young can make the finals at 57? Deakin hasn't looked great, he smashed hayes last time, and barely lost to Berger. Young seems to look better every match. Am I crazy for thinking he has a shot there? 

Young has an incredible draw. He can absolutely make the finals. It is insane as he is maybe the 5th best wrestler at the weight.

Iowa got incredible draws across the board. 

Stoll's late change was a huge boost.

Lee got the 3 and avoided Rivera. He could've easily gotten the 4.

The best guy in Murin's quad, for his seed a top level guy almost always, is a guy he beat at Big10s. Carr should never have gotten the 6. Props to Murin if he can take advantage but man that is a lucky draw.

Lugo's draw is incredible too

Caywood lost in R1, so now Warner has an easy R2

Iowa is shaping up to place 3rd or even 2nd (unlikely but possible). They really took advantage of their draw and that 9-0 round puts them in a much better spot. Even if they lose a few this round (they have a chance in every match - no mismatches) their path to AA is there. Really impressive performance so far

11 minutes ago, russelscout said:

He has a shot at the semis but I don't think he can beat Berger. 

For a Session 2 thread you sure missed the point when there is no mention of  RBY vs DeSanto....who gets beat by Micic (who suddenly looks great and 100%) the next round? 

Just analyzing the top 4 teams here.

Some of Iowa's tough draws got easier, so they should be poised for another good round. They are wrestling upset winners from the prior round at 149 and 165. 125 Lee vs Fausz, Lee should win but Fausz is dangerous. Carr should beat Murin but Max can win that one. I like Dean over Wilke. Warner will win. Stoll vs Jennings, who knows. 

Ohio State has some bad match ups. 

Heinselman and Smith lost in round 1. Heinselman is probably a toss up on the back side. 133 Pletcher vs Bridges is a tough match up. Hayes vs Young, I like Kaleb there. Campbell vs Marstellar, I feel like Chance will major Campbell. White sends Singletary to the back side. 

Ok State's theme might as well be "Stuck in the Middle With You"

The Cowboys look good at 125, 133, and Hwt but things go sideways in between. Brock has McKenna, Gfeller is on the back side, no wrestler at 157, 165 no gas tank Smith has to beat Viruet in the consis,  Jacobe has a hard matchup with Labriola and Geer a semi tough out with Colbray. 

PSU being PSU

Nittany Lions won all 9 in round 1. They are underdogs at 133 RBY vs Desanto and 149 Berge vs Kolodzik. They should win the rest, a number of them via bonus.

I did my picks for tonight's session and here is my predicted point totals post session II. This includes some upset picks and bonus points. 

Keep in mind that seoaration typically happens in Session 3, as the points jump from the quarters to the semis is enormous. Making the quarters guarantees worst case R12 so after tonight's session we can make some educated guesses as to how many AAs each team will have.

Penn State 35.5
Iowa 24.5
Ohio State 22.5
Oklahoma State 22.5
Minnesota 21.0
Missouri 21.0
Virginia Tech 15.5
Michigan 15.0
Lehigh 12.5
Nebraska 12.0
Rutgers 12.0
Iowa State 11.0
Cornell 10.5
Northern Iowa 10.5
North Carolina State 10.0

50 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Just analyzing the top 4 teams here.

Some of Iowa's tough draws got easier, so they should be poised for another good round. They are wrestling upset winners from the prior round at 149 and 165. 125 Lee vs Fausz, Lee should win but Fausz is dangerous. Carr should beat Murin but Max can win that one. I like Dean over Wilke. Warner will win. Stoll vs Jennings, who knows. 

Ohio State has some bad match ups. 

Heinselman and Smith lost in round 1. Heinselman is probably a toss up on the back side. 133 Pletcher vs Bridges is a tough match up. Hayes vs Young, I like Kaleb there. Campbell vs Marstellar, I feel like Chance will major Campbell. White sends Singletary to the back side. 

Ok State's theme might as well be "Stuck in the Middle With You"

The Cowboys look good at 125, 133, and Hwt but things go sideways in between. Brock has McKenna, Gfeller is on the back side, no wrestler at 157, 165 no gas tank Smith has to beat Viruet in the consis,  Jacobe has a hard matchup with Labriola and Geer a semi tough out with Colbray. 

PSU being PSU

Nittany Lions won all 9 in round 1. They are underdogs at 133 RBY vs Desanto and 149 Berge vs Kolodzik. They should win the rest, a number of them via bonus.

I'll take Berge over Kolodzik. Sprague from American gave Kolodzik all he wanted in the 1st round 3 - 2.

12 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I'll take Berge over Kolodzik. Sprague from American gave Kolodzik all he wanted in the 1st round 3 - 2.

Kolodzik is like Dean Heil, Luke Pletcher and any number of other guys that tend to almost always win close. Berge is still a decided underdog.