jcjcjc

RBY TD

point well taken, but where is the justification in this kind of language?

"May Micic torture, turn and pin the rabid animal that Iowa now houses but has not yet domesticated. 

All of  European wrestling must wonder why a class act like Micic must actually step onto the mat with a feral creature named De Satan."

This is why this board and its 15-20 or so "you like me and I'll like you" major posters do more to detract participants than attract.

Those quotes are nonsense.

DeSanto is wrestling great and acting great as well. I'm super impressed withs his quick turnaround mentally.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, cjc007 said:

DeSanto is wrestling great and acting great as well. I'm super impressed withs his quick turnaround mentally.

We didn’t see any real adversary yesterday. We’ll see if Micic gets up on him if he can keep his cool

Edited by Ogalthorpe Haywood

I assume that was a joke... I liked it and I’m a DeSanto fan. Love what he brings to the sport now that he seems to have cleaned up the “I want to injure my opponent” thing

Desanto’s style must be so hard to deal with. It doesn’t look like it is hard to gameplay for. It is a classic situation where his opponent should use his pressure, get double unders and/or shoot into his movement. You’d think a guy as slick, quick and technical as RBY would be a nightmare matchup, but no. Most guys can’t handle it. Gomez is the only guy who used desanto’s pressure this year as effectively as an idiot like me would suggest. 

I doubt any freshman besides maybe Fix has felt that level of intensity. Guys fall apart. I’m much bigger than Desanto (hed kick my ass, I just have weight and some strength on him). I’d really like to feel what wrestling him is like. I assume it feels like drowning. You can never catch your breath, never lose focus, there is no shaking your arms out type stuff going on. 

1 hour ago, cjc007 said:

Winning hides our flaws. 

We are quick to forget the plethora of team points he’s lost this year. 

His wrestling is better, but we don’t know how he will handle adversity at this tournament yet. 

I hope DeSanto becomes a class act and his mentality matches his physical effort during matches, but let’s not start praising mental skills hen they are in fact physical skills. 

Basketball announcers do this all the time: look at that free throw percentage, he must have great character...that doesn’t really make sense. 

If he can go a tournament without an illegal move thrown or without the refs having to stop a fight from happening in his losses, I will reassess my evaluation of his character. When is the last time he went an entire tournament without some negative incident occurring? 

11 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I assume that was a joke... I liked it and I’m a DeSanto fan. Love what he brings to the sport now that he seems to have cleaned up the “I want to injure my opponent” thing

Desanto’s style must be so hard to deal with. It doesn’t look like it is hard to gameplay for. It is a classic situation where his opponent should use his pressure, get double unders and/or shoot into his movement. You’d think a guy as slick, quick and technical as RBY would be a nightmare matchup, but no. Most guys can’t handle it. Gomez is the only guy who used desanto’s pressure this year as effectively as an idiot like me would suggest. 

I doubt any freshman besides maybe Fix has felt that level of intensity. Guys fall apart. I’m much bigger than Desanto (hed kick my ass, I just have weight and some strength on him). I’d really like to feel what wrestling him is like. I assume it feels like drowning. You can never catch your breath, never lose focus, there is no shaking your arms out type stuff going on. 

I like this analogy. 

I remember describing some scrambled and some transitions from folk to free as swimming.

i felt like I had to tread water while wrestling instead of letting it fly. 

DeSanto presents this not from technical standpoints but physically. 

Wouldnt a Rivera-DeSanto match be fun? 

DeSanto fan here....watching the RBY match live in the arena, I thought he was dead to rights in getting taken down.  When I got back to the hotel that night, I was expecting to read a lot of hate against him on here and was surprised to see this was not the case....after watching the replay, I see what everyone was saying about RBY only having one leg.

What I saw was more controversial than the takedown was RBY going hand behind the back again.  I know it must be frustrating to wrestle Austin, but doing that coupled with a lot of backing up....should stalling have been called on RBY more?  There was a moment in the 3rd period when RBY had his hand behind his back, was on one knee, and backing straight up from the center to the edge of the mat.  I was sitting next to the PSU fans, and they were actually yelling that DeSanto was the one stalling....?  I know it was hard for them to see RBY go down, but the boos that they were giving Austin after the match, I could not understand.

DeSanto gets boo'ed regardless, so I don't think it's exactly related to the action on the mat. I like to think RBY was trying to bait ADS by trying to get him to extend and reach for that left arm, but DeSanto wasn't going for it and RBY otherwise did NOTHING with that hand behind the back tactic. He should have been dinged for stalling.

I hope RBY can incorporate that left arm denial thing into some kind of creative offensive strategy but if he keeps standing there without working towards anything, the refs should call that all day.

24 minutes ago, teach said:

Did RBY take injury time?  If so was there a choice of position?  It was loud where I was at and could not hear.

not injury time....concussion protocol.  Neutral on the restart then until the ADS takedown later in the period.

1 hour ago, pamela said:

DeSanto gets boo'ed regardless, so I don't think it's exactly related to the action on the mat. I like to think RBY was trying to bait ADS by trying to get him to extend and reach for that left arm, but DeSanto wasn't going for it and RBY otherwise did NOTHING with that hand behind the back tactic. He should have been dinged for stalling.

I hope RBY can incorporate that left arm denial thing into some kind of creative offensive strategy but if he keeps standing there without working towards anything, the refs should call that all day.

It almost worked because the exchange at the end of period 1 RBY got the upper hand and had there been 1 or 2 more seconds he'd have gotten a TD. He also nearly got the TD that went OOB. The biggest thing he accomplished in that match, though, was NOT giving up 4 firemans in period 1. If anyone thinks about RBY's game right now, he managed a small miracle. He made AA as a true freshman despite being good in only 1 position and weak in 2 positions. I can't wait to see what happens when they shore him up in top and bottom. 

Edited by TBar1977

It's laughable RBY took concussion time.  He didn't hit the table, and I don't think DeSanto's leg is made of concrete.

And what is particularly egregious is Cael's feigned ignorance that 2 was not awarded.  He knows 2 was not awarded and wait to throw the brick minutes later to extend still further RBY gas timeout.  

5 minutes ago, HoundedHawk said:

It's laughable RBY took concussion time.  He didn't hit the table, and I don't think DeSanto's leg is made of concrete.

And what is particularly egregious is Cael's feigned ignorance that 2 was not awarded.  He knows 2 was not awarded and wait to throw the brick minutes later to extend still further RBY gas timeout.  

Never once saw RBY gas this year. I don't think it was going to happen in this match either. 

Yah, I don't think RBY is exactly known for gassing. Also I don't think he "took" concussion time. The NCAA I believe requires each school to have a blanket concussion policy across all sports that adheres to a basic set of checks and best practices established by the league. When an athlete is suspected of incurring a head or neck injury, the medical staff must stop the action and run through its defined protocol to check for concussion symptoms. 

Watch the replay, RBY's head goes from down while working for the TD, to full stop into DeSanto's back when he crashed into the scorer's table, and wrenching back suddenly up towards the ceiling. I don't like lung timeouts and needless breaks in the action, but this one legit looked like something the medical staff needed to look at.

21 minutes ago, HoundedHawk said:

I don't think the concussion protocol was bogus...take all the time needed.  I do think you are on to something with Cael trying to stall the action with the delayed brick.....This match took forever.

23 minutes ago, HoundedHawk said:

What a terrible take.

It almost worked because the exchange at the end of period 1 RBY got the upper hand and had there been 1 or 2 more seconds he'd have gotten a TD. He also nearly got the TD that went OOB. The biggest thing he accomplished in that match, though, was NOT giving up 4 firemans in period 1. If anyone thinks about RBY's game right now, he managed a small miracle. He made AA as a true freshman despite being good in only 1 position and weak in 2 positions. I can't wait to see what happens when they shore him up in top and bottom. 
I'd be surprised if additional wrestlers don't deny the arm to Desanto. The assessment may be that DeSanto is a bit one dimensional and one sided with his attacks.

As for stalling - Where RBY has his arm is pretty much immaterial. A wrestler is not and should not be obligated to offer up an opponent's favored tie-up. Or even too tie-up at all for that matter. The only requirement is to generate offense and not continuously retreat to the edge.

If RBY has his arm behind his back and RBY backs up and/or doesn't generate offense, sure, he should be called for stalling. But if RBY has his arm behind his back and Desanto doesn't generate offense and/or backs up, Desanto should be called for stalling. Nothing changes because of where an arm is carried.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

I'd be surprised if additional wrestlers don't deny the arm to Desanto. The assessment may be that DeSanto is a bit one dimensional and one sided with his attacks.

As for stalling - Where RBY has his arm is pretty much immaterial. A wrestler is not and should not be obligated to offer up an opponent's favored tie-up. Or even too tie-up at all for that matter. The only requirement is to generate offense and not continuously retreat to the edge.

If RBY has his arm behind his back and RBY backs up and/or doesn't generate offense, sure, he should be called for stalling. But if RBY has his arm behind his back and Desanto doesn't generate offense and/or backs up, Desanto should be called for stalling. Nothing changes because of where an arm is carried.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Putting your arm behind your back is literally refusing to engage.  It's per se stalling.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Putting your arm behind your back is literally refusing to engage.  It's per se stalling.

Thank you....just wanted to make sure I was not in the minority in thinking this.  Same concept as wrestling from your knees in freestyle, correct?