Its not stalling. That is plain crazy. RBY has found a way even without equal strength to engage Desanto and NOT be pushed OOB. He stayed on the mat and actually had the better shots. Desanto's TD came on a standing Merkle that came about from an RBY shot attempt. The scramble at the end of period 1, RBY won that. Time just ran out. The shot in period 2 almost converted by RBY. The shot at the end had to be taken because RBY trailed by 1 point, but next time he could be leading in the third. I think if RBY comes back stronger the series might start trending in his favor. 

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

You're not engaging. Yiu can create no offense with one arm. You are just stopping the other guy from doing stuff. If you don't want your arm grabbed, handfight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You and Brands should petition the wrestling rules committee to adopt a 5 count just for RBY's left arm. Lol.

Edited by TBar1977

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Its not stalling. That is plain crazy. RBY has found a way even without equal strength to engage Desanto and NOT be pushed OOB. He stayed on the mat and actually had the better shots. Desanto's TD came on a standing Merkle that came about from an RBY shot attempt. The scramble at the end of period 1, RBY won that. Time just ran out. The shot in period 2 almost converted by RBY. The shot at the end had to be taken because RBY trailed by 1 point, but next time he could be leading in the third. I think if RBY comes back stronger the series might start trending in his favor. 

The arm thing worked, but it is 100% blatant stalling. That was a tactical calculation made by RBY and Cael, and it paid off. They counted on officials swallowing their whistles in a tight NCAA match like they typically do.  If someone did that to a Penn State kid, you would be furious, and rightfully so. It completely shut down the match. It would be one thing if RBY kept distance and faked and did touch-and-go stuff to get to his own offense. It's another to hold your arm behind your back for the sole purpose of avoiding wrestling. It's the equivalent of going full gut-wrench D against Lizak. No attempt to score your own points, just prevent your opponent from scoring.

I do think RBY can go with Desanto, but you are making one bad assumption in your prediction for future success. You've assumed Desanto is a finished product. He is far from it. He's only a true sophomore and has only been in the Iowa room for half a year, most of that in season when you don't make as many technical gains. He out-hustled and out-physicalled his way to a 5th place finish in one of the deepest weights in the country. He relies on mostly one tie and one attack, but you can already see progression. He was more diversified this year in his handfight. He added a nice overtie snap and hustled to angles more frequently. He also really improved his single leg to compliment his firemans, but still looks uncomfortable finishing it compared to his fireman's/high crotch. I would not be surprised to see Desanto as one of the most improved wrestlers in the country next year as he continues to diversify and develop more reliable attacks. 

RBY is a much more well-rounded wrestler than Desanto right now. He can definitely make some physical gains, but it will take more than that to overtake Desanto imo. Obviously, RBY is in a great place to do that, but Iowa's lightweight track record can't be denied, so you shouldn't count on him improving more than Desanto. One thing is for sure, it's a great style clash and should lead to some dynamite matches in the future if they're at the same weight going forward assuming RBY actually attempts to wrestle. As a huge fan of his, it was really frustrating to watch him shut it down in big matches this year, and the Desanto match was the worst example. He has electric stuff.

5 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Putting your arm behind your back is literally refusing to engage.  It's per se stalling.

Incorrect.  Nothing in the rule book that supports your statement.

But you know what is considered stalling per the rule book?  Directly pushing your opponent out of bounds in the attempts to draw a stalling call on your opponent  without attempting to initiate a scoring opportunity of your own.  DeSanto makes a living on this.

Incorrect.  Nothing in the rule book that supports your statement.
But you know what is considered stalling per the rule book?  Directly pushing your opponent out of bounds in the attempts to draw a stalling call on your opponent  without attempting to initiate a scoring opportunity of your own.  DeSanto makes a living on this.
"What if I just lied to try to gaslight the people calling out a guy for stalling? Yeah, that's the ticket!"

Desanto constantly comes forward while, but at the edge of the mat he almost always shoots.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

"What if I just lied to try to gaslight the people calling out a guy for stalling? Yeah, that's the ticket!"

Desanto constantly comes forward while, but at the edge of the mat he almost always shoots.

Almost always is not the same as always.  You seem like a knowledgable fan so please do not be so ignorant to say that DeSanto does not apply this tactic.  And when a wrestler directly attempts  to force a pushout without initiating a takedown or other offensive action, by rule it is supposed to be called stalling.  To be fair, he's not the only one who does this.  I think that the rule is flawed and the referees never seem to call it correctly but that's an argument for another thread.

20 minutes ago, HoundedHawk said:

Are you aware his head came nowhere near hitting the table?

Do you really believe Cael was unaware the TD was not awarded?

Are you aware it’s not up to the coach whether or not the athlete is checked for a concussion?

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Truly amazing to watch you talk smack about a match-up your guy lost both times.

That is rich considering all the times you make excuses and hide behind your phantom stalling to explain away losses incurred by Iowa wrestlers. I actually accept the losses PSU guys take because it's part of competing. 

I never once claimed RBY won OR was prevented from winning by the officials, something you do all the time. Further, I made no excuse or even rationalized a single loss by any PSU wrestler at NCAA's. You simply can't make that claim. 

Lastly, you are trying right here to rationalize a close win should have been an even larger win, because once again the opponent was, shockingly, stalling. As per your usual. So yeah, I talked some smack because it was worth pointing out this bad habit.

Where is the statue of Gable when you need it? HE'S STALLLLLING!!!!!!

Edited by TBar1977

46 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Where is the statue of Gable when you need it? HE'S STALLLLLING!!!!!!

It's a statue. It stays in the same place outside Carver.

Statues generally don't move unless the person being honored is involved in a scandal so heinous that their likeness is deemed to be too toxic to honor without casting shame upon those attempting to honor it and causing harm to alleged and confirmed victims.

47 minutes ago, HoundedHawk said:

Yes.  But why ask an irrelevant question?

“It's laughable RBY took concussion time.  He didn't hit the table, and I don't think DeSanto's leg is made of concrete.

You claimed RBY “took” concussion time. It’s neither his choice, nor Cael’s. You don’t think someone can get a concussion from a leg because it’s not concrete? Let someone kick you in the head. I’m sure there’s plenty of volunteers.

17 hours ago, simple said:

“It's laughable RBY took concussion time.  He didn't hit the table, and I don't think DeSanto's leg is made of concrete.

You claimed RBY “took” concussion time. It’s neither his choice, nor Cael’s. You don’t think someone can get a concussion from a leg because it’s not concrete? Let someone kick you in the head. I’m sure there’s plenty of volunteers.

You asked this: "Are you aware it’s not up to the coach whether or not the athlete is checked for a concussion?"   Thus, irrelevant since I claimed RBY did take it.  It was offered because of his antics, and he took it.  

Your statement about being kicked is also irrelevant.   RBY wasn't kicked, but merely ran himself into the side of DeSanto's leg.  No knee kick, nor spinning heel kick, nor axe kick, nor crane maneuver did he encounter.  And I didn't see DeSanto limping back to the center after the devastating concussion to his leg. 

Edited by HoundedHawk

The concussion check isn't something taken or offered to the wrestler or coach, it's something the medical staff enforces if they suspect a head or neck injury. RBY wasn't given a choice and he didn't accept an offer to be checked for concussion symptoms.

19 hours ago, Gasman1 said:

Almost always is not the same as always.  You seem like a knowledgable fan so please do not be so ignorant to say that DeSanto does not apply this tactic.  And when a wrestler directly attempts  to force a pushout without initiating a takedown or other offensive action, by rule it is supposed to be called stalling.  To be fair, he's not the only one who does this.  I think that the rule is flawed and the referees never seem to call it correctly but that's an argument for another thread.

did desanto push fix, suriano, or micic straight off the mat?

no?

oh yeah... they stood their ground and wrestled him like men... not just run backwards the entire time scared of wrestling... 

2 hours ago, HoundedHawk said:

You asked this: "Are you aware it’s not up to the coach whether or not the athlete is checked for a concussion?"   Thus, irrelevant since I claimed RBY did take it.  It was offered because of his antics, and he took it.  

Your statement about being kicked is also irrelevant.   RBY wasn't kicked, but merely ran himself into the side of DeSanto's leg.  No knee kick, nor spinning heel kick, nor axe kick, nor crane maneuver did he encounter.  And I didn't see DeSanto limping back to the center after the devastating concussion to his leg. 

What a terrible take.

3 hours ago, LJB said:

did desanto push fix, suriano, or micic straight off the mat?

no?

oh yeah... they stood their ground and wrestled him like men... not just run backwards the entire time scared of wrestling... 

RBY didn't run backwards against Desanto either. That is a bad take.