I’m not trying to be obvious but it’s a huge moment for wrestling. We’re on prime time, on the mothership (ESPN). Wrestling is being shown during the midst of March Madness Basketball. Consolation rounds even!

Hope everyone is realizing and reveling in these times.

Edited by D3UC157

ESPN could be broadcasting March Madness analysis, NBA, women's basketball tournament, MLB spring training, hockey, golf, tennis, poker, Xgames, spelling bees, that weird new pro football league, or any number of other events but they've got full wrestling coverage during the day and on prime time at night, which is fantastic. 

The streaming and overall production have been pretty solid, as usual. Flo's coverage and social media stuff have complemented the ESPN content very nicely. My only small feedback to Flo is to possibly consider cropping photos from the waist-up.

6 minutes ago, WRfan1 said:

As soon the rights for the NCAA basketball tourney are purchased by ESPN  (whenever that day comes, if it comes), wrestling will be dropped without a second thought.  I am enjoying it while it lasts, however. 

CBS and Turner Sports have the rights to March Madness until like 2034 or something.

Who is that absolutely horrible ESPN wrestling announcer who mispronounces names and doesn't know moves and just about everything else?

He has the voice of an older guy who likes wrestling but doesn't know much of anything.

He gets a mat every year, but I suspect he must be the grandfather of some rich conservative guy at the corporation.  

Edited by dmm53

Love it.

I agree with flo, and others that say ESPN does kind of just pick up the best part of the year - but with the resources and everything that ESPN has to broadcast/stream I definitely prefer it this way. Like pamela said earlier, flo's coverage compliments it so nicely, and then you've got the NCAA wrestling social media accounts that have been lights out so far this week. Then there are tons of others who are covering to various degrees. Obvously just as well individual programs posting results and various forms of media are always great at NCAAs. 

5 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Who is that absolutely horrible ESPN wrestling announcer who mispronounces names and doesn't know moves and just about everything else?

He has the voice of an older guy who likes wrestling but doesn't know much of anything.

He gets a mat every year, but I suspect he must be the grandfather of some rich conservative guy at the corporation.  

Jason Bryant 

I think we should be thankful that ESPN is showing every round. Back when I was in college, back in the 90"s all you saw was the finals and it was not great coverage. Now don't get me wrong, did I feel like yesterday was all about Penn St, yes, but I guess they have earned that right too.

I would have like to have seen more matches yesterday,  I didn't see as many split screen views as last year, but of course last year it was Ohio st and Penn st duking it out.  But I am still very thankful for ESPN coverage's.  

Dear ESPN,

It's a challenge to find these matches on your website.  For instance, session 3 is on ESPNU and that you can see on your website.  But if one wants to see all the mats, where do you find that?  I've had to do a search for 'ncaa wrestling' on your site to find it.

Appreciate the full coverage but is it that hard to find 8 decent broadcasters?  I'm finally watching most in silence with the volume down because they're so bad, especially mat 8.

Few tweaks and you'll get it right.  At least you're way better than Flo!

On 3/22/2019 at 5:51 AM, rhodge00 said:

I think we should be thankful that ESPN is showing every round. Back when I was in college, back in the 90"s all you saw was the finals and it was not great coverage. Now don't get me wrong, did I feel like yesterday was all about Penn St, yes, but I guess they have earned that right too.

I would have like to have seen more matches yesterday,  I didn't see as many split screen views as last year, but of course last year it was Ohio st and Penn st duking it out.  But I am still very thankful for ESPN coverage's.  

Maybe I'm remembering this incorrectly, but my brother used to comb the newspaper's TV listings for the tape-delayed replays of the NCAA championships maybe a week after it happened, and record them on our VCR. The coverage was sometimes a 1 hour show with the matches edited, like "we join our next championship match in the 3rd period with a minute to go, and the score is..." I wonder if the video tapes are still at our parents' house somewhere.

It wasn't all that many years ago (OK, maybe it was) that, right here on this very forum, we were exchanging DVD recordings after duals, and especially after NCAA's, through the mail (not the 'e' kind, the paper kind.)

I don't miss that one bit. I'll happily take Flo and ESPN and all the current options, flaws and all.

And that "grandfather of some rich conservative guy at the corporation" ESPN announcer kind of does sound a like an older version of Jason Bryant, right?

2 hours ago, pamela said:

Maybe I'm remembering this incorrectly, but my brother used to comb the newspaper's TV listings for the tape-delayed replays of the NCAA championships maybe a week after it happened, and record them on our VCR. The coverage was sometimes a 1 hour show with the matches edited, like "we join our next championship match in the 3rd period with a minute to go, and the score is..." I wonder if the video tapes are still at our parents' house somewhere.

Definitely not a created memory. I remember the exact same thing. And the finals were my only exposure to any DI wrestling. A few years I screwed up setting the timer on the VCR and missed everything. 

On 3/22/2019 at 1:52 AM, dmm53 said:

there are no conservatives at espn

On 3/22/2019 at 10:02 AM, josephe said:

Dear ESPN,

It's a challenge to find these matches on your website.  For instance, session 3 is on ESPNU and that you can see on your website.  But if one wants to see all the mats, where do you find that?  I've had to do a search for 'ncaa wrestling' on your site to find it.

Appreciate the full coverage but is it that hard to find 8 decent broadcasters?  I'm finally watching most in silence with the volume down because they're so bad, especially mat 8.

Few tweaks and you'll get it right.  At least you're way better than Flo!

type espn3 into your browser, then search ncaa wrestling

when it's time... the mats will show.