lu_alum

What should have been Oklahoma State’s post-season lineup

Watching Brock get crushed, G being eliminated, and Jacobe getting beat got me thinking. Might be a little early, but planting the seed...

125: Picc, SF

133: Fix, SF

141: Brock MAJORED in R2, battled back to R12

149: Gfeller, 2-and-BBQ

157: DNQ

165: Smith, loses to Romero again = DNP

174: Smith, upset by #10 seed, loses in Cons, DNP 

184: Geer, 3-1 thus far; KO'd Tupac; in the R12

197: Weigel, SF

285: White, SF

What would have been their best lineup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

I think Rogers, Smith, Smith would have outscored what they went with.

i also think Gfeller’s ribs have really hurt his wrestling.  He is a much better wrestler than what he has shown in the last month.

I think Rogers, Smith, Smith would have outscored what they went with.
i also think Gfeller’s ribs have really hurt his wrestling.  He is a much better wrestler than what he has shown in the last month.

So, Geer becomes the odd man out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geer should’ve always been the odd man out, Coach Smith out coached himself this year & they will be rewarded with zero AA’s at 65, 74, 84. 

If they would’ve kept it Rogers, Smith, Smith I think the get 3 AAs or at a minimum 2. 

Sometimes gambles don't pay off.   As a team, does three AAs like 7,6,8 truly help them reach their goals?

I don't fault him for rolling the dice.  I don't actually like what went down, because I feel Rogers earned some loyalty.  Smith wrestled half a year(again), Rogers wrestled where Smith told him (sometimes 74), made the weight and did the heavy lifting at 65 Life lesson, I suppose.

The problem was Weigel's injury coupled with a very odd offseason for Jo Smith.  I would assume they were uncertain if Weigel would be back and able to compete like he has.  With that in mind, it made sense at the time to go Rogers, Smith, Smith and Geer.  Once they found out Weigel was going to be ok, a crazy scramble to reorganize looks like what happened.  I assume that Jo couldn't beat Jacobe and both he and Geer were obviously meant to wrestle their current weights.  As a result, it came down to Jo vs. Chandler.

Jo definitely deserves some blame for this, but I can't imagine it would have made it to that point if Weigel didn't miss a significant portion due to injury!

Geer at 184 is better than Rogers or Smith at 165.  Rogers is an all-time favorite of mine but he didn't beat a top 20 wrestler all season and he spent most of january/february hurt.  And he got beat twice by this Joe.    

Shomers can't make 157.  

If Boo isn't hurt then MAYBE 141 plays out differently, but Brock was beating Gfeller in the room.  

John could have gone against wrestle off results and put Gfeller at 141 or Joe over Jacobe at 174, but the problem is too many guys who are 5th-10th and not enough guys who are 1st-4th.  Nothing he did was going to change that.

Rogers should’ve been at 165, Jojo at 174, and Jacobe at 184. IMO they all AA. Brock looks whipped and I believe he has a redshirt still. He could’ve been redshirted and Gfeller could have slotted in there. It is easy to play Captain Hindsight though. 

It's possible that Rogers could have handled the weight cut better.   OKST had a problem: three excellent wrestlers whose best weight was 174.   There is no great fix.   (Well, other than Daton.) 

My only question:  Do wrestlers have to make a one-hour weigh-in prior to their wrestle off?   I doubt it.   Seems to me that would settle the issue much better.

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Jo definitely deserves some blame for this, but I can't imagine it would have made it to that point if Weigel didn't miss a significant portion due to injury!

Not dealing well with a weight cut should never be a source of blame.

I don't think there should be any major weight cutting in two months prior to NCAAs.  It's just common sense: it takes time for a body to settle into a new size.   First half of season should be the time for changing weight classes.  I blame some stupid traditions in wrestling.   

Maybe Coach Smith will learn to have guys at their proper weights sooner to get better seeds.

If I'm reading the brackets correctly:

Looks like Geer could have Rasheed if they both win.

Joe will have the winner of Romero/Ashworth if he wins, and if he wins that the loser of Marstellar/Wick.

Jacobe looks like he should win his next 2 then would get the loser of Kutler/Amine.

Edited by 1032004

7 hours ago, Huck Finn said:

Not dealing well with a weight cut should never be a source of blame.

I don't think there should be any major weight cutting in two months prior to NCAAs.  It's just common sense: it takes time for a body to settle into a new size.   First half of season should be the time for changing weight classes.  I blame some stupid traditions in wrestling.   

No...a big part of wrestling is managing your health and weight correctly. Not correctly dealing with your weight is a source of blame on the wrestler and probably the coaches as well. 

So every wrestler who struggles with a weight cut is to blame?

That is thoughtless.    These guys are generally in good shape before attempting a weight cut.    If their performance is reduced, it's most likely a foolish decision to go down a weight class.