HurricaneWrestling2

NCAA Session 4 Thread

I mean yes you technically can. But you don’t see it. You’re just not going to win on the international level without technique.

That said, this is the first year of this emphasis. You’re going to see adjustments, just like we did when the step out point first came into play, and the athletes will adjust their wrestling accordingly. 

52 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

They literally  reviewed the RT. They changed it by one second. They did what you want them to do. 

I think the problem is that they take forever to give 1 in that underhook/seatbelt position. Cassar got an extra 5-6 seconds of RT from there even though Gable was completely up and facing him. But that's how they call that, so it's consistent at least.

9 hours ago, GockeS said:

in the HWT match... gable is clearly out all cassar has is a hand around waist on their feet, gable has an over hook... no control... ref lets it go 5 or more seconds before giving one

I saw this being called this way all tournament, though.  There were a lot of matches where I said the guy had the escape and another 5-10 seconds of RT were collected before it was awarded.  

8 hours ago, qc8223 said:

I think the problem is that they take forever to give 1 in that underhook/seatbelt position. Cassar got an extra 5-6 seconds of RT from there even though Gable was completely up and facing him. But that's how they call that, so it's consistent at least.

Yeah, it was definitely consistent with the way it's been called. Not sure why they wait so long. As soon as the guy faces him it seems like an escape to me.

1 hour ago, StallWarning said:

I saw this being called this way all tournament, though.  There were a lot of matches where I said the guy had the escape and another 5-10 seconds of RT were collected before it was awarded.  

i saw many that the wrestlers were still on the mat... but none like this obvious escape.

the only thing i can think is the ref thought he still had his hands locked..b/c early on he did...

but after watching the replay it should have been obvious to them

Edited by GockeS

10 hours ago, portajohn said:

I forget what match it was earlier on where they blew the whistle to end the period and the ESPN clock still had a few seconds remaining.  I'm just assuming what we saw on TV isn't what the official clock was.  

The Nolf v Hidlay match? 

It is rather ridiculous that ESPN can't run an accurate clock.  They're able to do it in other sports, even do tenths of a second.

10 hours ago, GockeS said:

it could have been, however, the announcers never said anything like that...usually they have that info...

I'm not surprised these announcers don't relay important information like this.  Play by play in regards to what the ref(s) is doing is rather poor.