Maybe he wasn't taking as much risk because he could feel that their was substantially more risk. Just because he pounds everyone else, we can't assume he could have started racking up points at will. Hidlay was matching him in every position.

12 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Nolf likely wrestles the rest of the match differently if it’s 2 in the 1st.  That being said  shocked Nolf let it get down to a last second chance at a TD.  Bo definitely moves up in the Hodge tie breaker on that one. 

The Hodge is Bo's. There is no doubt there. Unless Moore pulls one of the biggest upsets in history

12 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Nolf likely wrestles the rest of the match differently if it’s 2 in the 1st.  That being said  shocked Nolf let it get down to a last second chance at a TD.  Bo definitely moves up in the Hodge tie breaker on that one. 

The Hodge is Bo's. There is no doubt there. Unless Moore pulls one of the biggest upsets in history

As much as I wanted Nolf to win I have to say the moment so far of this tournament for me was the look on Hidlay's face was just heartbreaking. He wrestled the best match of the entire event in my opinion. Pop had him ready!!! Greatest coach in college wrestling! 

13 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

As much as I wanted Nolf to win I have to say the moment so far of this tournament for me was the look on Hidlay's face was just heartbreaking. He wrestled the best match of the entire event in my opinion. Pop had him ready!!! Greatest coach in college wrestling! 

I would be very interested to know how they prepared for Nolf specifically. 

I favor believing the refs got the call right. Here’s why.

First, both refs apparently agreed on the call.

Second, both refs watched the action up close and then on the replay, multiple times.

Third, the replay was reportedly at an angle none of us saw.

Fourth, both refs knew this was a match everyone would talk about later. I have to believe they did NOT want to get the call wrong.

Edited by Katie

57 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I’m not so sure it would have changed the way Nolf wrestled. Isn’t one of the things we love about Nolf is that whether it’s 0-0 or 10-0 he continues to wrestle the same way, score score score?  I’m not saying the match would have definitely stayed the same. But a lot of people seem certain Nolf would have picked it up, even though the one thing we all know about Nolf is he always is in 6th gear. 

Listen to Nolf's interview, he agrees with your assessment.  He said he was continuously trying to get to his offense but credited Hidlay's defense and positioning.  

13 minutes ago, Katie said:

Second, both refs watched the action up close and then on the replay, multiple times.

Fourth, both refs knew this was a match everyone would talk about later. I have to believe they did NOT want to get the call wrong.

If it takes 5 minutes to come to a conclusion, the refs didn't have the conclusive evidence. Didn't have enough evidence at best. Just a bad call at worst.

23 minutes ago, Katie said:

This. And the matside camera was in the perfect spot to see if the left foot came down before or after the right hand and knee came up. I’m a little different side of the fence this morning after rewatching that clip over and over. I believe that’s why it took so long and they looked it over and talked it over. Looking at that left foot in comparison to right hand and knee. 

Edited by Lurker

18 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I would be very interested to know how they prepared for Nolf specifically. 

There's a lot of room familiarity between Nolf and Hidlay that played a large role.   A lot of workouts together while Hidlay was in high school.  Grew up about a half hour from State College.

.......... it might have been "2" , but I didn't "feel" that it was "2" ..... that's about as "bang-bang" as you can get to make that call .... i felt the reversal of the decision was accurate......... my 2 cents............

24 minutes ago, Katie said:

First, both refs apparently agreed on the wrong call.

Second, after watching the action up close, they rightly awarded a takedown to Hidlay.

Third, I'll attach an image from the angle we have. Regardless, any angle needs to be conclusive to overturn the call on the mat..

Fourth, are you suggesting that refs care more about the correct call when a match will be talked about later? Well, that does sound like the kind of logic an incompetent ref would use, so maybe you're on to something.

I think I'm just too emotionally worked up to talk about this anymore.  That look on his face will haunt me for weeks.

bullshit.jpg

On 3/23/2019 at 10:59 AM, ohcomeon said:

First, both refs apparently agreed on the wrong call.

Second, after watching the action up close, they rightly awarded a takedown to Hidlay.

Third, I'll attach an image from the angle we have. Regardless, any angle needs to be conclusive to overturn the call on the mat..

Fourth, are you suggesting that refs care more about the correct call when a match will be talked about later? Well, that does sound like the kind of logic an incompetent ref would use, so maybe you're on to something.

I think I'm just too emotionally worked up to talk about this anymore.  That look on his face will haunt me for weeks.

bullshit.jpg

For one thing, a photo cannot account for reaction time.

Edited by Katie

14 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

That was some home cooking in Pennsylvania... 

And even more surprising, Nolf needed it.

10 hours ago, lu_alum said:

umm.. you do realize that they are both from PA?

"in Pennsylvania." As in Pittsburgh PA. I was referring to where the match took place where Hidlay was robbed of his 2.

25 minutes ago, Katie said:

I’m not sure that any particular still picture can account for reaction time. 

While I agree with most of your assesssment on this topic, there is no reaction time in that situation in college. HS no question that’s not a takedown if nothing else because if reaction time. 

However, that still shot does not show where his right hand and knee were when the left foot came down. As I said before, the review camera was in the perfect angle to dissect that. 

1 hour ago, PRyan2012 said:

Hasn't Mueller been objectively more dominant?  IF he beats the reigning champ.....

Edited by Plasmodium

41 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Hasn't Mueller been objectively more dominant?  IF he beats the reigning champ.....

No. Competition. Bos 4 years. If he beats Lee then he is 3rd. Love the guy. Actually my favorite guy at this event. 

Edited by PRyan2012

On 3/23/2019 at 11:40 AM, ThorsteinV said:

Did they reinstate reaction time? 

According to some people who are more knowledgeable than me, reaction applied to this situation.

Edited by Katie

2 hours ago, DrStrange said:

RIP OFFFFFFFF. How do they overturn the call on the mat? These refs need to answer questions when they decide a kids fate like that on a total **** job. 

Psu fan here. I agree! But even if so I really think nolf still wins.

2 hours ago, ThorsteinV said:

Did they reinstate reaction time? 

They never took it completely out.  According to the rules its not required "in instances in which a wrestler has standing neutral control of their opponent and the defending wrestler's hand comes in contact with the mat."

2 hours ago, PRyan2012 said:

Psu fan here. I agree! But even if so I really think nolf still wins.

I think Nolf still finds  a way.  Totally agree with you. But it would have been an even better match.  Still a great one. I bet Nolf is happy he doesn't have to go against hid lay again.