SamStall365247

Hidlay had 2

I favor believing the refs got the call right. Here’s why.
First, both refs apparently agreed on the call.
Second, both refs watched the action up close and then on the replay, multiple times.
Third, the replay was reportedly at an angle none of us saw.
Fourth, both refs knew this was a match everyone would talk about later. I have to believe they did NOT want to get the call wrong.

I have to agree. Both refs are VERY skilled, and know the rulebook inside and out. They conducted an obviously thorough video review, from an angle that was definitely superior to what we saw. This was not a call they made lightly — something on that video made it clear to them that the correct call was no takedown.

Did they reinstate reaction time? 

“Beyond reaction time” is a prerequisite to scoring in all aspects of college wrestling *except*:

(1) “Hand-touch takedown” rule (which requires rear standing neutral control) (Note: All takedowns down on the mat still require reaction time.)

- and -

(2) Illegally locking hands from the offensive position while down on the mat.

Those are the only exceptions.

What everyone is failing to understand in this situation is...the rules. The ref had to allow for reaction time in this situation because it is NOT a hand touch takedown situation since the action was already on the mat. The ref was too quick throwing up the two and right away went to his assistant to discuss the call. They both agreed that control was NOT established beyond reaction and, correctly, changed the call. It's not the most popular call of the tournament, but it was indeed the correct call.

I personally know this official and he wants nothing more than to get every call right. He works his butt off to be one of the best and he is one of the best. Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't get a finals match.

1 hour ago, OfficialObserver said:

What everyone is failing to understand in this situation is...the rules. The ref had to allow for reaction time in this situation because it is NOT a hand touch takedown situation since the action was already on the mat. The ref was too quick throwing up the two and right away went to his assistant to discuss the call. They both agreed that control was NOT established beyond reaction and, correctly, changed the call. It's not the most popular call of the tournament, but it was indeed the correct call.

I personally know this official and he wants nothing more than to get every call right. He works his butt off to be one of the best and he is one of the best. Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't get a finals match.

I'll concede that point and would like to see the video clip from above at normal speed but would still argue that he did have reaction time (not busting on the ref- at this point don't even know who it was). In this clip Nolf is fighting on his right hip with a leg pass. He starts to come up and loses the leg pass. At this point Hidlay drops Nolf back down to his right hip again with pretty clear control. Nolf pushes up with his right hand and stands. Seems at this point Nolf is trying to get away rather than counter. Of course this is clearly judgment. 

A couple questions-

1. Were there really 4 seconds when the td was called? Most people thought it was called pretty much at the buzzer. I realize the review reverts but most people that have asked this question didn't think it was anywhere near 4.

B. Somewhat inline with the above question- how specifically does the coach need to describe what the review is about? The hand might have been down at 4 and if that was the point of the brick and it was ruled irrelevant as you mention would that in and of itself cause the call to be overturned?

19 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I'll concede that point and would like to see the video clip from above at normal speed but would still argue that he did have reaction time (not busting on the ref- at this point don't even know who it was). In this clip Nolf is fighting on his right hip with a leg pass. He starts to come up and loses the leg pass. At this point Hidlay drops Nolf back down to his right hip again with pretty clear control. Nolf pushes up with his right hand and stands. Seems at this point Nolf is trying to get away rather than counter. Of course this is clearly judgment. 

A couple questions-

1. Were there really 4 seconds when the td was called? Most people thought it was called pretty much at the buzzer. I realize the review reverts but most people that have asked this question didn't think it was anywhere near 4.

B. Somewhat inline with the above question- how specifically does the coach need to describe what the review is about? The hand might have been down at 4 and if that was the point of the brick and it was ruled irrelevant as you mention would that in and of itself cause the call to be overturned?

The coaches did not throw a brick. The referees looked at the situation on their own. Also, there was about 2 seconds on the clock when the situation took place.