Sign in to follow this  
Cradle1

Myles Martin's Bizarre Loss

No result was more unlikely tonight than Max Dean over Myles Martin. Here's how unlikely:

In their two previous matches this year, Myles won 17-7 at Cliff Keen and 13-6 in the dual. I believe this meant that he had 14 unanswered takedowns on Dean going into tonight's bout.  Until their final scramble tonight, he had both offensive scores in the match.  So what this means is that Martin had effectively outscored Dean 32-0 to this point in 20 minutes and 30 seconds of wrestling (not counting Martin kicking him out). 

So Myles thinks he's got it in the bag (somewhat understandable) and wrestles with zero urgency the entire bout.  He looks to be the much better wrestler, but he's up only 4-3 due to lack of urgency combined with poor match management.  He's in on sort of a lazy shot, looking very confident but he's only up 4-3. Suddenly they end up in one of those weird scramble positions- I can't even honestly say that Dean hit some sort of amazing counter, he just sort of ended up in control by accident with only :10 left.  If this sequence had happened at any other point of their 21 minutes of wrestling over three matches, Myles could and would have escaped and restored order with a takedown.  But no, this odd scramble happens with :10 left the semifinal where he was strangely down by only a point despite seemingly being significantly outwrestled. 

BTW- good for Dean, I don't mean to diminish him just pointing out how truly unlikely what happened was.  Literally everything aligned perfectly for this one in a million upset.  From Myles Martin perspective, this loss can only be described as completely senseless. 

2 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

No result was more unlikely tonight than Max Dean over Myles Martin. Here's how unlikely:

In their two previous matches this year, Myles won 17-7 at Cliff Keen and 13-6 in the dual. I believe this meant that he had 14 unanswered takedowns on Dean going into tonight's bout.  Until their final scramble tonight, he had both offensive scores in the match.  So what this means is that Martin had effectively outscored Dean 32-0 to this point in 20 minutes and 30 seconds of wrestling (not counting Martin kicking him out). 

So Myles thinks he's got it in the bag (somewhat understandable) and wrestles with zero urgency the entire bout.  He looks to be the much better wrestler, but he's up only 4-3 due to lack of urgency combined with poor match management.  He's in on sort of a lazy shot, looking very confident but he's only up 4-3. Suddenly they end up in one of those weird scramble positions- I can't even honestly say that Dean hit some sort of amazing counter, he just sort of ended up in control by accident with only :10 left.  If this sequence had happened at any other point of their 21 minutes of wrestling over three matches, Myles could and would have escaped and restored order with a takedown.  But no, this odd scramble happens with :10 left the semifinal where he was strangely down by only a point despite seemingly being significantly outwrestled. 

BTW- good for Dean, I don't mean to diminish him just pointing out how truly unlikely what happened was.  Literally everything aligned perfectly for this one in a million upset.  From Myles Martin perspective, this loss can only be described as completely senseless. 

Agree.  Steveson the same.  Just not wrestling like they should and are capable of.  Head scratchers. 

Edited by jeffrideal

Martin did not look like himself.  Like a wave of exhaustion or indifference hit him.

That stuff happens in all sports and for strange reasons.  

People oddly self-sabotage or give up or stop caring. I don't think that actually happened with Martin but it occurs inexplicably in all walks of life.

Will be curious what he has to say.   Credit to Dean for the way he kept fighting at the end.  I thought the ref would call a stalemate, which likely would have changed the outcome.

33 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

Suddenly they end up in one of those weird scramble positions- I can't even honestly say that Dean hit some sort of amazing counter, he just sort of ended up in control by accident with only :10 left. 

I agree with the gist of your post but this is wrong. That move Dean did is his go-to TD. He is so good from that position, Palacio-like. Except at 184 being good from that position is much more of an edge than at 157, where most are good scramblers. Dean didnt just sort of end up there by luck. He put himself there. He did the same thing Iowa's Wilcke and the moment he grabbed the ankle on him, I knew he'd score. Obviously Martin is a much better wrestler than Wilcke but once they were scrambling, I was 50/50 that =Dean would win that match. Nobody at the weight is better than Max from that position.

I haven't watched Dean that much so I'll defer...but you were 50-50 in a match where one guy had scored all 30 offensive points going in to the bout?  Because if you have that kind of intuition- I'd like you to accompany me to Vegas sometime. I'll bet on pretty much anything you tell me to bet on! 

Edited by Cradle1

45 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Agree.  Steveson the same.  Just not wrestling like they should and are capable of.  Head scratchers. 

Stevenson's loss was also dumb, but at least he is basically equal to Casser it would seem (oddly I still think he's a little better but his 0-2 doesn't back that up).  I think Myles Martin could wrestle Max Dean 100 more times and he would win all 100.  32 Unanswered points until that last scramble.  Life is full of surprises. 

4 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

I haven't watched Dean that much so I'll defer...but you were 50-50 in a match where one guy had scored all 30 offensive points going in to the bout?  Because if you have that kind of intuition- I'd like you to accompany me to Vegas sometime. I'll bet on pretty much anything you tell me to bet on! 

Read again. I said late in the 3rd when Dean initiated the scramble, then and only then, I was 50/50.

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Read again. I said late in the 3rd when Dean initiated the scramble, then and only then, I was 50/50.

Ok that makes sense, it was definitely a 50-50 situation. 

8 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

Ok that makes sense, it was definitely a 50-50 situation.

Actually, it's more like 70/30 in favor of the attacker (the guy taking the shot, not the funker) statistically. Some guy actually did the math for like half a dozen NCAAs in a row from quaters on up, I forget where I read it. But for great scramblers, its 50/50 or better. I/ve watched every match of Max's since his regyshirt year that has been recorded and I'd say he gets the TD when he initiates that ankle grab about 2/3 of the time or more. It was only 50/50 because Matin is such a badass, in my opinion.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

4 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

In the EIWA finals in 2018, Preisch pinned Dean.  In the 2019 finals, Dean beat Preisch 3-0.  That match alone showed how improved he has gotten late this year, especially his defense as you saw against Martin last night.  He's got a great gas tank, and against Martin he just never stopped pushing.

The only loss in 2019 for Dean is that dual loss to Martin.  He majored Zavatsky 9-0 in February, and beat Ness that same weekend.

You gotta love Gabe's reaction after the match!

10 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Martin and Steveson prepared for the matches together by binge watching the movie FARGO over and over and over again?

You wish they were prepping with a movie that badass. Here's the trailer for what they ACTUALLY watched...

5 minutes ago, randyfoxwell said:

Didnt take a shot. ran away from him the martin the whole time. didnt really engage so that any offense could happen

Martin can't score on what he can't penetrate. His energy cannot withstand the constant pressure Max put onto him.. Martin could not escape when he needed to. Martin didn't have it physically, or mentally when it mattered.

8 minutes ago, randyfoxwell said:

Didnt take a shot. ran away from him the martin the whole time. didnt really engage so that any offense could happen

That would explain the myriad stalling calls on Dean, right?  Oh, wait...

6 minutes ago, randyfoxwell said:

If you had gotten taken down 100 times to your 0 in the last two outings, what strategy would you employ? Wrestling is not a beauty contest. Winning ugly is still winning. I thouvht he had the perfect game plan for Martin. Keep it close and give yourself a shot to win it from the one (and ONLY) position where you have an advantage late in the third when your superior conditioning is more of a factor. He wrestled a perfect match for his abilities to beat Martin.

4 minutes ago, scribe said:

Martin can't score on what he can't penetrate. His energy cannot withstand the constant pressure Max put onto him.. Martin could not escape when he needed to. Martin didn't have it physically, or mentally when it mattered.

Maybe youre right. Martin should have had the same mentality  as Dean and not take a shot in the 3rd period and he might have had a better result.

2 minutes ago, klehner said:

That would explain the myriad stalling calls on Dean, right?  Oh, wait...

He did have a stalling call, but just because he doesnt have a bunch of them doesnt really mean anything. Just look at what everyone talks about after Stoll wrestles. He doesnt have a myriad of stalling calls, yet there will defiantly be a bunch of posts about how he didnt do anything.

5 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

If you had gotten taken down 100 times to your 0 in the last two outings, what strategy would you employ? Wrestling is not a beauty contest. Winning ugly is still winning. I thouvht he had the perfect game plan for Martin. Keep it close and give yourself a shot to win it from the one (and ONLY) position where you have an advantage late in the third when your superior conditioning is more of a factor. He wrestled a perfect match for his abilities to beat Martin.

I agree that he had the perfect strategy. All I was saying is that his strategy was not taking a shot or doing anything the entire match