Sign in to follow this  
Cradle1

Myles Martin's Bizarre Loss

Looking at how Dean got his takedown and it's clearly a practiced move that he's employed throughout the course of the season.  Anyone acting like this was entirely a fluke is bitter.  Martin is awesome, incredibly quick, and ran over most everyone he faced this season but Dean is a grinder with solid fundamentals and a great gas tank.  To me this looked like a case of Dean learning from past matches, making it hard for Martin to generate points, and then picking his moment to score.

LIke a counterpuncher in boxing, his strategy was obviously to wait for a Martin shot and jump on the opportunity to get himself into his best position. Martin didn't punch enough. It wasn't like Martin took 50 shots and Dean just backed away the whole time. He was in wrestling positions the whole time, not running track. It's on Martin for not doing enough, not Dean, the heavy underdog.

I am a big Myles fan, he is a great wrestler. But I was worried about him wrestling Dean for the 3rd time. Cornell is very good at getting kids ready for specific matches. If you watched Myles wrestle much this past season, you would have noticed he scores a lot of points in the 1st period and 2nd period, but not many in the 3rd. Not saying he is not in shape. He obviously is but he not a 3rd period scoring machine. Dean was able to weather the storm and slow him down so it came down to a take down.

I feel bad for Myles, But you have to take your hat off to Dean and the Cornel team!!! Great execution and game plan.  

3 minutes ago, rhodge00 said:

I am a big Myles fan, he is a great wrestler. But I was worried about him wrestling Dean for the 3rd time. Cornell is very good at getting kids ready for specific matches. If you watched Myles wrestle much this past season, you would have noticed he scores a lot of points in the 1st period and 2nd period, but not many in the 3rd. Not saying he is not in shape. He obviously is but he not a 3rd period scoring machine. Dean was able to weather the storm and slow him down so it came down to a take down.

I feel bad for Myles, But you have to take your hat off to Dean and the Cornel team!!! Great execution and game plan.  

I'm a big fan of Myles too. I like his skills and his positive mindset. He simply lost to the better wrestler during that particular match on the particular day. 

Going forward I expect to see two things from Mr. Martin.  One, he will be a superstar at the international level. Two, he will continue to be a positive role model and a great ambassador for our sport.

It's more unlikely that Martin goes undefeated then he takes a loss. I don't understand why people are always so shocked by these matches. If you don't listen to the hype and care about seeds and past losses then you would have the mindset of the type of wrestler who can win these "unwinnable" matches. 

As much of a Cornell fan as I am, it was still tough seeing Martin lose this one; it seemed like it was meant to be his year, and the loss feels tragic.

Still, Dean wrestled a great match, and right about the end of the 2nd period, you can feel the momentum shifting.  After the reversal/escape in the third, Martin looks tired, and Dean is advancing, taking territory, takes a shot, but you can see he's really looking to get into that scramble situation; and he gets it.  Martin does take the bait to set up that last scramble, but Dean is pushing in to set that up.

Edited by red blades