Jimmy Cinnabon

So we don't like Nolf anymore, right?

First guy to give Nolf a match since IMAR.

I don't think anyone has been closer than 5 or 6 points to Nolf in his entire four year career except IMAR and Hidlay.

Nolf has been utterly dominant for three years.   Expect him to return to form in the finals.

Edited by dmm53

Nolf is amazing period.  The displeasure was in the feeling that Penn St got a call from the officiating crew.  My perception was the crowd held it against Penn St the rest of the night.  Well, that and the fact that suddenly you all seemed human for the first time in a decade.  I don't think it'll last long, but for one brief moment, we thought you may be coming back to the crowd.  One thing about our sport fascinates me more than anything.  That is how our sport continues to change every single season.  You either continually change or these guys will figure you out.  I thought Gabe Dean was just amazing and suddenly he went from Hodge type season to...losing to Bo.  Now just a season later the young Dean beats a very, very good Myles Martin.  Same thing almost happened with Nolf.  Did he slip into human territory?  I don't know.  Also, Bo started the tournament 3 pins behind Nolf.  If Bo Pins, and Nolf doesn't, they will be tied for pins on the season...interesting Hodge dilemma.  

I think the call was questionable. The original call on the mat was 2 and I don't think no matter what way it was called that there was indisputable evidence to overturn the call. So I think it should have stayed as a TD. 

All this said, had it gone that way, Nolf wrestles a different match than he did. 

Also Cassar is the worst stalling heavyweight in NCAA history?

Cassar probably should have been hit with another stall call in the first in my opinion as he did not go forward much at all. Gable pushed all of the action, and got sloppy on a shot which was the difference in the match...Cassar wrestled a smart match but let’s not make it out that Cassar is now the best HWT ever because he beat a true freshman. PSU got all the calls to go their way and any Penn State fan that doesn’t admit that has Blue and White colored glasses on.

PSU is still the best and the team race was never in doubt but come on call it fair its all wrestling fans ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, PSUMike said:

I think the call was questionable. The original call on the mat was 2 and I don't think no matter what way it was called that there was indisputable evidence to overturn the call. So I think it should have stayed as a TD. 

All this said, had it gone that way, Nolf wrestles a different match than he did. 

totally agree... but if that's all, then why wrestle the match. nolf would have won anyway...

i love nolf. and think maybe he even techs him after that, but we have to get the call right.

20 minutes ago, PSUMike said:

He took shots and couldn't get past head hands. Dont downplay how huge a 2-0 lead is there for Hidlay.

26 minutes ago, simple said:

Yeah, unlike many of the PSU fans, Nolf knew he got a break. Can’t blame him for it. 

Pretty telling. I think 99% of fans absolutely love the PSU wrestlers and just wish the fans would take the wrestlers and coaches’ lead on their commentary: Show own gratitude and don’t make excuses. 

You can can make fair criticism, but saying a TD that happened didn’t is weird. Saying Cassar didn’t stall is weird. The refs said both things happened (at least much of the time) and reviews seem to prove it. 

I was wrong about about the DeSanto RBY call yesterday and I spend the first session trying to show people at the stadium that I was wrong...our section was pretty adamant DeSanto got beat and murdered a baby in the third period vs RBY and only a few of us were PSU fans. 

36 minutes ago, russelscout said:

He took shots and couldn't get past head hands. Dont downplay how huge a 2-0 lead is there for Hidlay.

I agree exactly.  I still think Nolf has a chance, but I wouldn't say favored if he ended the first behind 2 points, judging from the first two lines of defense that Hidlay was putting on him.  Head and hands.

Definitely love nolf. Great wrestler, very exciting, but make him earn it. He got out wrestled that match, maybe he would have wrestled different, but he seems the time to try to score whenever possible.  I doubt he sat on the lead because he was winning on a takedown.

How can anyone not enjoy and appreciate the talents of Nolf? 

The guy has seriously helped to advance and even to some degree reinvent aspects of the sport.

He is one of those rare figures who will be mentioned with the likes of Schalles, Askren, Sanderson, and Gable when folks stand back and take a broader historical perspective. 

He introduced creative elements from jiu jitsu and other areas.  

He is as much of an artist as an athlete.

6 hours ago, Peso said:

Nolf is amazing period.  The displeasure was in the feeling that Penn St got a call from the officiating crew.  My perception was the crowd held it against Penn St the rest of the night.  Well, that and the fact that suddenly you all seemed human for the first time in a decade.  I don't think it'll last long, but for one brief moment, we thought you may be coming back to the crowd.  One thing about our sport fascinates me more than anything.  That is how our sport continues to change every single season.  You either continually change or these guys will figure you out.  I thought Gabe Dean was just amazing and suddenly he went from Hodge type season to...losing to Bo.  Now just a season later the young Dean beats a very, very good Myles Martin.  Same thing almost happened with Nolf.  Did he slip into human territory?  I don't know.  Also, Bo started the tournament 3 pins behind Nolf.  If Bo Pins, and Nolf doesn't, they will be tied for pins on the season...interesting Hodge dilemma.  

Peso, your post is one of the best I've seen, every single word of it. Expect limited to no push-back, from even the worst haters. Why? Because you made sense. Thank you for doing so!

Edited by Marcus Cisero

6 hours ago, russelscout said:

I bet Hayden told the refs to wave off the 2. He didn't want to make Nolf mad and open up a can of whoop ass. Hayden knew his best chance to win was to be losing going into the final seconds. He definitely didn't even want those 2 points.

9 hours ago, dmm53 said:

First guy to give Nolf a match since IMAR.

I don't think anyone has been closer than 5 or 6 points to Nolf in his entire four year career except IMAR and Hidlay.

Nolf has been utterly dominant for three years.   Expect him to return to form in the finals.

Pantaleo down 1 going into 3rd period with choice isn't a match??  Nolf had to ride him out to win 6-4.....

3 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Peso, your post is one of the best I've seen, every single word of it. Expect limited to no push-back, from even the worst haters. Why? Because you made sense. Thank you for doing so!

Yeah except it's inaccurate.  That's career falls that Nickal is one down.  Nickal is easily the Hodge winner this year and leading falls by 3 over Nolf.

2 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Yeah except it's inaccurate.  That's career falls that Nickal is one down.  Nickal is easily the Hodge winner this year and leading falls by 3 over Nolf.

I just like his positive attitude. I also agree with you about Nickal getting the Hodge.