NJDan

Kudos to Chance

I was at that first Shields-Marstellar dual match. They wrestled for it seemed like 8 periods and neither of them made an offensive move. Shields finally won, but it seemed neither of them wanted it. 

I've been watching Chance for many years. His performance this weekend was inspirational. It's great to see a turn-around like that. It's good to see him go out on a real high. And it's good to see Lock Haven making a little noise at the national level. 

On 3/23/2019 at 8:42 AM, jchapman said:

God obviously favors the lanky 165er from Wisconsin.

Would you rather win the 1st match up only to lose the next one and finish 4th? God favored who?

3 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

Now he can get focused on the exciting career possibilities only possible with a Loch Haven degree.

Cheap shot.

I've personally seen many grads of "no name" schools outperform others from "big name" schools, to include the Ivy League. 

Perhaps you should state your alma mater and professional career results so we can all pass judgement. 

P.S. It's Lock Haven. 

When kids have as impossible expectations on them, seeing them middle along or flame out and crumble are both very common.  It is extremely rare that someone lives up to the hype we put on them at that level, but it is even more rare for someone who burnt out to completely revamp his relationship with wrestling, himself, and his life and come storming back to find the success which Chance has.  His level of wrestling at the University and Open level freestyle circuit, and just outstanding performance at NCAAs is beyond admirable.  On a broader, more sappy note, alcohol and social isolation, leading to other vices, are absolute plagues to young people in our society, and seeing Chance draw strength from his family and community really reminds me of why I love this sport and echoes many of the struggles and 'salvations' many of us have seen.  I wish Chance all the happiness in the world, and I think he will be a phenomenal freestyle competitor and coach at any level he chooses for years to come.