dmm53

Eierman robbed - danger zone count

The Rule:

When in the neutral position, the referee will verbally announce a danger signal to wrestlers who expose their shoulders to the mat at any angle less than 90 degrees.

The verbal announcement will be followed by an audible three-count. If the referee reaches the third count and the wrestler is still in the danger zone, the opposing wrestler is awarded a takedown.

The match and the video:

There is not a legitimate three-count.  Maybe two seconds at best.  Not three. Watch the clock. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6380576-2019-ncaa-championships/videos?playing=6405782&facets={"Round":"Semifinals"}

If you can't access the FLO video, go the NCAA wrestling site on Twitter and scroll through the last seconds of the match highlights:

https://twitter.com/ncaawrestling?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Addendum:  Eierman had 57 seconds RT.  Was close to winning on points, but that is moot.  Should have been OT. 

Are refs trained in arm-waves?  Where was the third second?  

Edited by dmm53

Why didn't MIZZ challenge that BS (way way way too quick) danger call?   It was NOT three seconds.  

The more I look at the match, the more I am convinced it was total nonsense.  Referee interference.

It decided a semifinal between two great wrestlers.  

Travesty.

I like Yianni but he didn't deserve to win that way.

People whining about the match at 157 or 285 need to watch the end of 141.

Eirman was past 90˚ from 34 to 30 seconds on the ESPN clock. The first verbal count was at 32 and last one right at 30 as he is getting off his back.  Call looks good to me seeing as the first count marks the completion of the first second (33 to 32).  Second count is the completion of the second second (32 to 31).  Third count is completion of the third second (31 to 30).  

Bottom line:  Don't put yourself on your back for 4 seconds if you don't want to give up 2. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Mizzu had no brick they threw the brick in the Erneste match 2 min earlier and that was there last challenge.Before the match in the corner you could see Smith having a talk with Waters telling him were now out of challenges.

4 hours ago, dmm53 said:

The Rule:

When in the neutral position, the referee will verbally announce a danger signal to wrestlers who expose their shoulders to the mat at any angle less than 90 degrees.

The verbal announcement will be followed by an audible three-count. If the referee reaches the third count and the wrestler is still in the danger zone, the opposing wrestler is awarded a takedown.

The match and the video:

There is not a legitimate three-count.  Maybe two seconds at best.  Not three. Watch the clock. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6380576-2019-ncaa-championships/videos?playing=6405782&facets={"Round":"Semifinals"}

If you can't access the FLO video, go the NCAA wrestling site on Twitter and scroll through the last seconds of the match highlights:

https://twitter.com/ncaawrestling?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Addendum:  Eierman had 57 seconds RT.  Was close to winning on points, but that is moot.  Should have been OT. 

Are refs trained in arm-waves?  Where was the third second?  

Either way Yianni was going to get the Td... always a thing of beauty when those two wrestle pure chess match

Edited by Sublime607

1 minute ago, Sublime607 said:

Either way Yianni was going to get the Td

Oh, welp there ya go. Yianni was going to win no matter what. Why even discuss it? Eirman never wrestles out of those positions.

Eirman improved his position on his own when he heard the count. Shouldn't matter what the clock says, it is all about the refs count and he didn't get to 3. He got hosed here and I was shocked when the ref more or less chose the winner right there. 

It was called properly. I watched it again half a dozen times. I actually feel the count didn't even start early enough since Eierman's back broke 90 well before the count started.

Not that it mattered here because Eierman was on his back for the required three seconds, but the rules you posted say THREE-COUNT, and NOT three seconds. The two are not the same. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Just now, russelscout said:

Oh, welp there ya go. Yianni was going to win no matter what. Why even discuss it? Eirman never wrestles out of those positions.

Eirman improved his position on his own when he heard the count. Shouldn't matter what the clock says, it is all about the refs count and he didn't get to 3. He got hosed here and I was shocked when the ref more or less chose the winner right there. 

Don’t take it the wrong way... watch him spot the clock before he even takes top he is aware of the clock and knows how much time he need before he has to cut him. 

4 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

Don’t take it the wrong way... watch him spot the clock before he even takes top he is aware of the clock and knows how much time he need before he has to cut him. 

I dont even know what you are talking about. I was talking about the danger rule TD.

Throw that danger rule out the window... How many times was Yianni in deep and about to finish before time expired...you say Eierman was robbed but do you honestly think he was doing enough to win. Straight up respect for Eierman hope he gets a national title before he’s done love watching him wrestle.

4 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

Throw that danger rule out the window... How many times was Yianni in deep and about to finish before time expired...you say Eierman was robbed but do you honestly think he was doing enough to win. Straight up respect for Eierman hope he gets a national title before he’s done love watching him wrestle.

He should go up to 149 and I think he'd win (unless Yianni goes up, which is a possibility). He is big and strong enough and the weight clears out quite a bit with the two finalists graduating. 

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

He should go up to 149 and I think he'd win (unless Yianni goes up, which is a possibility). He is big and strong enough and the weight clears out quite a bit with the two finalists graduating. 

Yeah, but we would be deprived of these awesome matches!

9 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

The problem is, they already have 2 returning AA's at 149, Mauller and Leeth.  They mentioned during the match that he was probably taking a redshirt next year, but both of the other guys will still be back in two years too! 

The entire Mizzou team looks like they could wrestle a weight up and be just as competitive, if not more, and that has been the case for as long as I can remember. There has to be a way to fit all those killers into the lineup. Mizzou may have the best nutrition staff in the country. 

4 minutes ago, lost said:

I also thought the call was very questionable

as a Cornell fan definitely questionable but the outcome would have been the same Eierman was banking on a mistake and Yianni just doesn’t make many.

3 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

Here’s another question - what is with the potentially dangerous call at 1:14 in the 3rd? Yianni’s back wasn’t bowed. Don’t really see the danger here. 

I thought it was his neck in a potentially dangerous position

6 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

as a Cornell fan definitely questionable but the outcome would have been the same Eierman was banking on a mistake and Yianni just doesn’t make many.

Ridiculous to say that.  Eierman had already taken him down, and has proven in the past that he can score in any situation vs Yianni.