Sign in to follow this  
SamStall365247

Mason Parris should have RS

First, let me say Parris is an awesome wrestler. He’s talented and seems like a great kid. But this is heavyweight. Heavyweight is not 125 or even 174. No matter how dominant you are on the high school or Junior level, NCAA Heavyweight is a whole nother ball game. Both him and Steveson could have used another year in the weight room and on “meal plan.” 

5 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

What kind of meal plan for Steveson? Weight Watchers? He is already one of the bigger heavies and it looked to me like he wasn't carrying his weight particularly well in the third both times he lost. I've never seen Steveson gas so badly. 

I would say Steveson is far from one of the bigger heavyweights. Did you see him next to Stoll?  It’s reported he weighs 250ish which would be pretty middle ground. He could stand to added some muscle. But I don’t think his lack of muscle was why he lost. His strategy changed once he got a lead. Maybe because like you said he gassed. 

Stoll may be the biggest, so that's not a good comparison. If you are 250ish you are absolutely one of the bigger heavies in D1. Name 10 D1 starters who weigh more than 250.

BTW, I'm not saying Gable can't get bigger and stronger. He is only 18. By 20, he will be a beast to behold. But right now, his gas tank is the problem, not his size.

Would you be saying that if he had found a way to beat Stencil? I don't think so. He was top 12 as a frosh, will be a 3 time all american. Thats pretty special. The chance to do it as a True Frosh is something he probably wanted to try. 

6 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

That kid is special. He might have the highest upside of that group. 

Lol

He might have the most room for improvement simply because he’s not as good as Gable, Parris, Cass, Nevills, or Kerkvliet right now.

As far as highest upside? Gable and Kerk have senior world gold upside. You think Elam has more?

2 hours ago, unbiased said:

Hindsight when it comes to Parris. Michigan should have had hindsight. 

Foresight would’ve done. He already got beat by Stencel, Jennings and Singletary when they decided to pull his redshirt. 

3 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Stoll may be the biggest, so that's not a good comparison. If you are 250ish you are absolutely one of the bigger heavies in D1. Name 10 D1 starters who weigh more than 250.

BTW, I'm not saying Gable can't get bigger and stronger. He is only 18. By 20, he will be a beast to behold. But right now, his gas tank is the problem, not his size.

I think Jennings is probably the biggest. I don't think Stoll is as big as he used to be. I'm pretty sure he was down in the 260s last year. He talked about trimming down a bit to take the pressure off those knees. As a freshman he was monstrous though.

3 hours ago, simple said:

Lol

He might have the most room for improvement simply because he’s not as good as Gable, Parris, Cass, Nevills, or Kerkvliet right now.

As far as highest upside? Gable and Kerk have senior world gold upside. You think Elam has more?

Gable showed some character flaws, conditioning issues too. He is good, but he might have peaked already believe it or not. Looks burnt out. That doesn't get undone quickly. 

Elam has the best frame to be an elite international heavyweight. Add 30 lbs of muscle and he will be a real problem. Yes, higher upside than the other two. That is just my opinion!!

I also wish UNC would’ve left Brandon Whitman in his redshirt season. 197 is another grown man weight class and he had many matches where he was right there, but gassed at the end and got overpowered. Whitman was 17-8 unattached and after they pulled the redshirt he only won 3 matches the rest of the season. He did qualify for the NCAA tournament, but went 0-2. 

26 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

Gable showed some character flaws, conditioning issues too. He is good, but he might have peaked already believe it or not. Looks burnt out. That doesn't get undone quickly. 

Elam has the best frame to be an elite international heavyweight. Add 30 lbs of muscle and he will be a real problem. Yes, higher upside than the other two. That is just my opinion!!

I strongly disagree, but I respect it. Hopefully they all stay healthy!

Steveson did not peak at 18. He showed his age in a weight class where only men win it all. Steveson isn't even close to physically peaking, which is scary. He had nothing left in the third, plain and simple. He needs serious conditioning work but beyond that, it's hard to find much fault. He is 18 and wrestling his first NCAA season ever. He is going to be mopping mats with his opponents in the not too distant future.

21 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Steveson did not peak at 18. He showed his age in a weight class where only men win it all. Steveson isn't even close to physically peaking, which is scary. He had nothing left in the third, plain and simple. He needs serious conditioning work but beyond that, it's hard to find much fault. He is 18 and wrestling his first NCAA season ever. He is going to be mopping mats with his opponents in the not too distant future.

A lot of guys peak at 18. Nearly the entire state of California gets worse after high school. 

32 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

A lot of guys peak at 18. Nearly the entire state of California gets worse after high school. 

Yeah, those Californians have such a shtty track record at NCAAs. It's only the third or so most productive state in the country for AAs and champs in history, but you've got a great point there!

How'd Cal Poly, Bakersfield and Fresno do? 1 All American? 

Sure, cali has 40+ million people, so there are always a few high end studs like Valencia, but to act like California kids transition well to the D1 level is to have your head so far up your ass that you don't see reality. 

950 schools with wrestling. If they produced at the same rate as Ohio, Jersey, PA, they'd have 15+ all americans every year. They don't. Learn math numbers stats. They are your friend. 

Edited by DrStrange

You go from saying nearly the entire state of CA gets worse (just retarded) to talking about stats comparing CA to the most productive states in all of wrestling. Talk about backpedaling. As if the rest of your posts weren't proof enough, you really showed your brilliance on this thread....

15 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Yeah, those Californians have such a shtty track record at NCAAs. It's only the third or so most productive state in the country for AAs and champs in history, but you've got a great point there!

As much as Dr Strange is not exactly my favorite poster, he has a point. In the last 15 years, going by per capita, California isn’t even in the top 20 states producing All-Americans. Hawaii checked in at #20...just sayin. 

The discussion was not per capita. He turned it into that after I called him out. If nearly the entire state of CA sht the bed every year, CA wouldn't be one of the most productive states at NCAAs throughout history. Yes, it's a big state. But yes, they produce a lot of D1 talent. No, the entire state doesn't suck after HS.

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

The discussion was not per capita. He turned it into that after I called him out. If nearly the entire state of CA sht the bed every year, CA wouldn't be one of the most productive states at NCAAs throughout history. Yes, it's a big state. But yes, they produce a lot of D1 talent. No, the entire state doesn't suck after HS.

I know I know. Mainly we had a nice little “chat” the other day, and I like to throw an olive branch to my adversaries from time to time to show nothing lingers, even if I think they’re a....well I’ll just say I was just trying.