Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

How much $ for a team title?

We know NLWC has 5Mil plus to play with but if I was trying to take a consistent top 10 team to a national title contender how big of a check would I have to write?

Asking for a friend.

Edited by HokieHWT

Depends on the school.  You can get a place like Lock Haven cheap, like a few mill.

Don't bother on elite academic private schools.  Tuition around 60 grand and SAT scores over 1200 makes it a little tough to field a consistent top 10 team.

NC State is the place for everyone to donate to.

Has anyone else seen Ryan's tour of their new $48,000,000 wrestling facility on Flo?

Edited by Boompa

Just now, Boompa said:

Depends on the school.  You can get a place like Lock Haven cheap, like a few mill.

Don't bother on elite academic private schools.  Tuition around 60 grand and SAT scores over 1200 makes it a little tough to field a consistent top 10 team.

NC State is the place for everyone to donate to.

Sorry, I meant we are already a top ten 10, I need a number to get to first.

Just now, Boompa said:

Endowment or annually?

New facilities?

Good on facilities, thinking endowment. I guess the question is how much are the top guys at RTCs making where you have multiple at each weight class to workout with.

4 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Endowment or annually?

New facilities?

I could be wrong but think he's talking about how many $s to buy a great coach but also buy the best talent, maybe top 2 to 4 at every weight, get em in your RTC pipeline thus guaranteeing you are gonna win.  You gotta go bigger (go big or go home) than the Carl approach if ya want to beat Carl.  ;)  It'll be a really big number.   

Dake, Burroughs, Taylor, Snyder, etc..are all making 100k+ just from their RTC's.

Varner is probably the most expensive volunteer (4th coach out there at over 100k).

Good RTC wrestlers like a Retherford or Oliver are over 50k.

Endowments usually generate 4%.  Anything over that is usually thrown back in the pot so it can grow.

An RTC would be nice. But wouldn't you want to fund the scholarships and the coaching staff first? Aren't state school team budgets a matter of public record? Take that number and add 50%. Or add enough to hire Dake, Taylor or Burroughs as an assistant to Koll, Poplizio or Dresser and there's your answer.

Edited by NJDan

What is hilarious is that most of these RTCs and clubs are run by the college staffs - staffs that have never held real jobs for the most part. Why not hire a professional fundraiser and do something significant? These guys with less than 100K a year for the club revenue shouldn't be college coaches. They don't understand what it takes to protect a sport from being dropped. 

15 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

What is hilarious is that most of these RTCs and clubs are run by the college staffs - staffs that have never held real jobs for the most part. Why not hire a professional fundraiser and do something significant? These guys with less than 100K a year for the club revenue shouldn't be college coaches. They don't understand what it takes to protect a sport from being dropped. 

A professional fundraiser is useless if your alumni base doesn't have multi millionaires/billionaires. 

Its a non profit. Are there regulations as to who can and can't donate? I wouldn't think there are. That means corporate donors are in play. As are wealthy individuals looking to park money in something positive, alumni or not. Just my 2 cents. I might be wrong.

Billyhoyle has it right. I used to fundraise professionally for an elite university. These projects are all about whale-hunting. The reason why Cornell and Princeton are where they are is because of Steve Friedman and friends and Mike Novogratz and friends. I don't know the particulars about the NLWC, but I'd be willing to wager a few thousand that there's one or a small group of donors that stuffed the club's balance sheet like Thanksgiving turkey. The average alum donating a few hundred or thousand bucks a  year helps, don't get me wrong, but to change your situation, you need one or a select group of exceptionally wealthy donors. 80/20 rule is more like 90/10 or 95/5 in fundraising for anything related to college. 5%-10% of of the donors are responsible for 90-95% of the funds.

Edited by wrestlingnerd