Holtfan

Dean Family - Finalist question

With Max Dean making the NCAA finals tonight, he joins his brother Gabe (3x finalist) and dad Dave (runner up 1987). 

Since I am not up on my wrestling history......how many father/2-son finalists have their been in NCAA history? 

Thanks in advance. 

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Rob Koll and his dad-- both champs.

Father and TWO-son combo was the question. 

My contribution: The Churellas. Father Mark Sr. (3x champ and on my list of 10 best ever in college), Ryan Churella (2nd to Johny Hendricks.... ugh... hurts even typing it), and Josh Churella (2nd to Gregor Gillespie, 3-1 OT loss).

11 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Father and TWO-son combo was the question. 

My contribution: The Churellas. Father Mark Sr. (3x champ and on my list of 10 best ever in college), Ryan Churella (2nd to Johny Hendricks.... ugh... hurts even typing it), and Josh Churella (2nd to Gregor Gillespie, 3-1 OT loss).

OK, my bad. 

confused on the Jordon family tree.

Which Jordan is Bo and Micah's dad? Was he a NCAA finalist?

Mark Perry Sr. was an AA but not a finalist (I think), but had two NCAA champ sons, so he deserves some sort of honorable mention

19 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Mark Perry Sr. was an AA but not a finalist (I think), but had two NCAA champ sons, so he deserves some sort of honorable mention

Jeff Jordan (2X AA) was not a finalist, and fathered Bo (4X AA, finalist) and Micah (3X AA?, finalist).  Jim Jordan (3X AA, 2X NC) fathered Ben (AA, non-finalist) and Isaac (4X AA, finalist).

33 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Correct Mark Sr was not a finalist. He was #1 seed one year. 

In addition to dad being an AA, the Perry bros had some good wrestling uncles too (which I’m sure you know)

The original replier was not talking about the “Perry” family (Mark, Sr, Mark, Jr. and Chris), they were referencing the “Peery” family (Rex, Ed, and Hugh...all 3x NCAA Champs).

But yes, Mark Perry, Sr. was an AA himself, in addition to both his sons being Champs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Did the Peery sons not have sons themselves? If so, what a tremendous disservice to American wrestling.  

I know Ed had a son, Greg Peery, who attended school and wrestled at Mt. St. Joe High School in Baltimore; I believe he was a team mate of both Lou and Rico Chiapparelli.  I don't know if he wrestled in college.

Mt. St. Joe won the National Prep Championship in 1980, and Greg was the champion at 130 lb. http://mdhighschoolwrestling.com/page2/1980/1980.html

I believe he passed away just a few years ago.

Edited by red blades

I know Ed had a son, Greg Peery, who attended school and wrestled at Mt. St. Joe High School in Baltimore; I believe he was a team mate of both Lou and Rico Chiapparelli.  I don't know if he wrestled in college.
Mt. St. Joe won the National Prep Championship in 1980, and Greg was the champion at 130 lb. http://mdhighschoolwrestling.com/page2/1980/1980.html
I believe he passed away just a few years ago.

I believe Greg wrestled at Oklahoma State, but then transferred and finished college somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, KTG119 said:

Correct Mark Sr was not a finalist. He was #1 seed one year. 

In addition to dad being an AA, the Perry bros had some good wrestling uncles too (which I’m sure you know)

I heard they have a cousin in Philadelphia who’s pretty decent at baseball too