GreatWhiteNorth

NCAA Session 6 - Championship Finals Thread

Would much rather have them interview the guys after the following match.  Gives them time to catch their breath, appreciate the moment, and think during the interview. But that may not play as well to the 27 random bone wrestling fanatic viewers watching the finals. 

Just now, goheels1812 said:

This. What in the world was Yianni talking about? McKenna was way more offensive that’s he was the entire match. What a dopey interview. And I usually like Cornell guys. 

I also think that's the worst post match response.  But I think these guys are probably told repeatedly before the match that nobody is in the shape they are in.  So they feel like it comes true when they win late. 

And by the way Ashnault doing his taped interview in his singlet is awesome.

6 minutes ago, boconnell said:

McKenna got screwed on that last one.  Probably got away with one in the 2nd period.

The worst call of the match though was the stalling on McKenna with 40 seconds left.  He'd been consistently shooting the whole match and the Cornell refs yelled for stalling and got it.  Immediately after the call McKenna panic dives in deep on a single that Yianni counters enough to get gifted 2.  No way does Yianni finish his own TD there, but because of the stall warning he didn't have to.

I've noticed a lot of refs will give a stalling call against the wrestler with the lead with around a minute left (even if they've been the aggressor). Seems like they do it to keep the guy wrestling til the end because they know they wont give 2 stall calls when the guy starts running away with 15 seconds left. If they give one early, they can give one at the end and a point if needed.

Edited by Crotalus

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

Did you hear the refs go over the video? The head official defends why he calls it that way and then says "are you fine with that"? How about we forget what you were thinking and call it according to the rules. That is the dumbest way to review these. Just call what you see on the video without any bias.

It's a joke that refs go confirm their own calls on a video.  I can't think of a situation with more built in bias.  The next ref I meet who is willing to admit a mistake will be the first.  They are constantly under siege from everyone in the sport so they see admitting weakness like putting blood in the water.  They will never overturn a call if they can help it.

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

Things aren’t looking good for Micah either. He’s even pastier than McKenna. 

Stop.  You're embarassing yourself.  ;)

McKenna looks like he's been living underground for 15 years and emerged to wrestle this match.  Jordan just looks normal pale.

Just now, boconnell said:

It's a joke that refs go confirm their own calls on a video.  I can't think of a situation with more built in bias.  The next ref I meet who is willing to admit a mistake will be the first.  They are constantly under siege from everyone in the sport so they see admitting weakness like putting blood in the water.  They will never overturn a call if they can help it.

Yah, it's pretty bad that the mic is catching all that, "whaddaya think? i dunno, what do you think?" stuff too. Makes them look inept.

1 minute ago, Crotalus said:

I've noticed a lot of refs will give a stalling call against the wrestler with the lead with around a minute left. Seems like they do it to keep the guy wrestling til the end because they know they wont give 2 stall calls when the guy starts running away with 15 seconds left. If they give one early, they can give one at the end and a point if needed.

Yep.  That is the "you're winning" stall warning.  Forget that McKenna had just shot and Yianni hadn't initiated an attack all match.  One guy was winning so they warned him.  And McKenna panicked.  

3 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Things aren’t looking good for Micah either. He’s even pastier than McKenna. 

Ohio State must no longer be taking melanoma lightly. I remember the days of Lance Palmer and J Jaggers looking like they stepped right out of the tanning booth.