GreatWhiteNorth

NCAA Session 6 - Championship Finals Thread

3 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Was Cassar the only Penn State wrestler that looked like he really wanted to win?

The feel of 'ho-hum' and boredom with the other four was definitely there.

What happened to going for it?

I think they were more interested in enjoying the moment than they were throwing bombs. They both put their matches out of reach and then seemed to relax and enjoy it. After Nolf got back points he shut it down and Nickal locked up the cradle and seemed to just look around and hold on.

When you're that good and the team title is locked up you can afford to Cadillac it a little bit.

1 minute ago, buckshot1969 said:

I think they were more interested in enjoying the moment than they were throwing bombs. They both put their matches out of reach and then seemed to relax and enjoy it. After Nolf got back points he shut it down and Nickal locked up the cradle and seemed to just look around and hold on.

When you're that good and the team title is locked up you can afford to Cadillac it a little bit.

We can agree to disagree on this one. You are winning - you keep going for the pin. This patty cake wrestling style just shy of stalling is boredom.

47 minutes ago, jchapman said:

That's every wrestling coach this side of the Atlantic

Yeah I seem to remember Dake gassing several times. I never would have put them in the list of great gas tank clubs like Penn State and Iowa.

Just now, WillieBoy said:

We can agree to disagree on this one. You are winning - you keep going for the pin. This patty cake wrestling style just shy of stalling is boredom.

Didn't say I liked it, I just think they wanted to enjoy as much as they could about their last match. It's been years since I wrestled and I don't have many memories about the atmosphere at matches, I just remember some of the outcomes. Imagine being on top in the NCAA finals and being able to look around and see the fans and listen to the crowd and really soak it in...

It'd be pretty special.

1 hour ago, GockeS said:

pretty clear to me

D2YkA8VX4AAe2fV.jpg

Even as they replayed the video I felt that was pretty easy to see. The fact that you can only see the end of Surriano’s first knuckle.. those fingers gotta be somewhere right?

30 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I don't blame Bo for not going for the cradle.  If he goes for it, and Moore reverses and but him on his back, that is literally the only way he could lose that match.

But the Hodge is all about being the most dominant wrestler. Protecting a relatively small lead to not lose is nearly the exact opposite.

Worst part was that the viewing audience was bored. All the hype and then snoozefest. Zzzzzzzzz

2 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Yeah... OK... and are they also going to call a fall after 1 second as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course not. Why should they? There are no problems with our officiating. Everybody knows what a takedown is & there's no disagreement. Hands-to-the-face is called perfectly, headgear grabs are always handled appropriately and stall calls are called exactly correct by every official. We really don't need any rules. Everybody's perfectly satisfied with the way things are officiated so get rid of all the rules in the rulebook let everybody do exactly what they want. Ah ****ing forget it.

23 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Of course not. Why should they? There are no problems with our officiating. Everybody knows what a takedown is & there's no disagreement. Hands-to-the-face is called perfectly, headgear grabs are always handled appropriately and stall calls are called exactly correct by every official. We really don't need any rules. Everybody's perfectly satisfied with the way things are officiated so get rid of all the rules in the rulebook let everybody do exactly what they want. Ah ****ing forget it.

Rule 2; Section 3; Article 1 (on page 17 of the NCAA Wrestling Rulebook):

Art. 1. Fall. A fall occurs when any part of both shoulders or part of both scapulae of either wrestler is held in contact with the mat for one second. The one-second count (one-thousand-one) shall be a silent count by the referee and shall start only after the referee is in position to observe that a fall is imminent.

Edited by lu_alum

6 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Bo could win anywhere.

He could.  Kaspar was an undersized guy who got to 220 and had no trouble going upperbody with heavies.  Bo is a far superior and far more diverse wrestler who could carry similar size.  At the college level he could have done anything he wanted.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't have his way with Cassar in the room.