wrestlingnerd

Suriano has the last laugh

I was bored out of my mind for over 8 minutes but that hip heist and TD made the pain go away. 

Congratulations to Suriano and Rutgers. I have always respected how committed Suriano is to the wrestling lifestyle and how committed his family is to him. It was unexpectedly satisfying for me to see him make history for Rutgers. I even liked his post-match interview. A strong Rutgers is good for the sport and I’m all for it. 

Glad to see Nick win. i'm watching the off the mat version of the finals.They had video of his family in the corner...i sure hope nick breaks off a piece of that last laugh and shares it with his dad,not very smiley...i think he was mad at john smith

Edited by VND

Been watching Nick here in NJ for years, especially the last 2 at RU.  Interesting character.  H'es got some issues, I hope he gets his head straight.

Regardless, way to go Nick!  So happy for you on winning the National Championship!  A month ago I said no way would you win.  I even told Donny - you have to work on your head and be a more complete wrestler (on top).

You turned it around big time and got it done!  Awesome

Yup, happy for Nick- if nothing else, he wrestles his @ss off, plus he's a warrior.  You see his face after B10's?  Yikes, he looked like an MMA fighter.  But in interviews, he always looks like someone just killed his dog or something- just staring at the camera with this baleful look, and his cold, empty eyes.

2 hours ago, josephe said:

Been watching Nick here in NJ for years, especially the last 2 at RU.  Interesting character.  H'es got some issues, I hope he gets his head straight.

Regardless, way to go Nick!  So happy for you on winning the National Championship!  A month ago I said no way would you win.  I even told Donny - you have to work on your head and be a more complete wrestler (on top).

You turned it around big time and got it done!  

Yep that was awesome.  He is a different kind of cat.  But in the end he's respectful and has a giant heart and I think won a lot of people over during the year.  

It was a great match. Great positioning and hand fighting tactics. Attacks and good defense. Ended on wrestling technique not judge mental technical calls. Loved it. Right guy won. 

Happy for Nick, and very happy he won given Fix simply won't engage him. Fix didn't do a damn thing to deserve victory last night. But Lemon Pie is correct, their recruiting still stinks and they'll struggle going forward. 

Hope that chip on Nick's shoulder has fallen off now that he's won. 

10 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Happy for Nick, and very happy he won given Fix simply won't engage him. Fix didn't do a damn thing to deserve victory last night. But Lemon Pie is correct, their recruiting still stinks and they'll struggle going forward. 

Hope that chip on Nick's shoulder has fallen off now that he's won. 

Their recruiting doesn't suck.  They got a good class this year, including one of the top recruits in the country.  Also, you don't think producing two national champs is going to help with recruiting moving forward?  I think they will have a drop in ranking the next couple years, but will be generally top 25 and sometimes top 10.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Rutgers has some solid guys coming in over the next 2 years. I also expect them to get a couple more NJ guys after what they pulled off last night. I don’t know if people understand the impact that will have on NJ wrestlers  

Class of 2019

6, 39, 60

Class of 2020 (many top 100 haven’t committed yet)

35, 57, 58

These aren’t amazing hauls, but JoJo Aragona is excellent and I bet they get a couple AAs out f the rest. They need 2 more hammers to come in or be developed in the next 2 years. I expect by 21/22 they will have 3-4 AAs. 

6 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

The ref gave Suriano a free pass with that stale mate 

Well, if Fix was actually trying to turn Suriano with both legs in, I could see your point. But, to just throw in the legs and ride parallel like that is stalling. So that stale mate was a good call.

6 minutes ago, garyc said:

Well, if Fix was actually trying to turn Suriano with both legs in, I could see your point. But, to just throw in the legs and ride parallel like that is stalling. So that stale mate was a good call.

He wasn’t given a chance to,attempt a turn, the stale mate was too quick 

I thought it was a good call too. Maybe could've waited 2-3 more seconds though. It wouldn't have mattered in the end.

I DO think the headgear call was missed due to Fix's shaggy hair, though, but when you do jack sht all match like Fix, you put yourself in a position to lose that way. I felt the right wrestler won and for the first time in a while, agree with Suriano's assessment of the match. He took more risks and dictated the pace, albeit ever so slightly more. Fix did absolutely nothing.