wrestlingnerd

Suriano has the last laugh

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

Their recruiting doesn't suck.  They got a good class this year, including one of the top recruits in the country.  Also, you don't think producing two national champs is going to help with recruiting moving forward?  I think they will have a drop in ranking the next couple years, but will be generally top 25 and sometimes top 10.  

The two champs should help them, but they seem to still see the cream of the crop in New Jersey leave the state. I know they have a couple real nice recruits with potential, but potential and points at NCAA's are two different things. Not as high on RU as some others seem to be, but that's ok. Maybe I will be proven wrong. 

11 hours ago, josephe said:

Been watching Nick here in NJ for years, especially the last 2 at RU.  Interesting character.  H'es got some issues, I hope he gets his head straight.

Regardless, way to go Nick!  So happy for you on winning the National Championship!  A month ago I said no way would you win.  I even told Donny - you have to work on your head and be a more complete wrestler (on top).

You turned it around big time and got it done!  Awesome

Yours is a completely dickhead post, but considering the source ...... 

I'm really proud for this kid. He allowed himself to get self-doubt, similar to what happened to Spencer Lee. Self-doubt has the power to destroy the body and the mind. Nick clearly has a circle of loving and caring friends, family and coaches who brought back his clarity enabling Nick to perform the way Nick has trained to perform all his life. Same thing happened with Spencer Lee which is why I thoroughly enjoyed these two wins over most others.

To the Nick haters out there - this guy will evolve into an awesome MMA fighter, mark my word. He will be a MMA champion someday like former HS / College wrestler TJ Dillashaw, and WILL make MILLIONS doing so, just like TJ has.

Congratulazioni Nick! You're da man, young man!

18 minutes ago, KingK0ng said:

6 seconds in to the video. How does this NOT get called AFTER a review?

Well Fix should’ve been called himself for HTF when Smith challenged looking for one, so it cancelled out IMO.

That is all OK State had - whining and mewling.  HTF, Stalling, headgear.  How about take a fkking shot just once in any of the 3 Fix / Suriano matches? 

I always have admired John Smith but when did he become such a whiny bitch?  He needs to move into an AD role.  Or wear the costume perhaps.  

I accidentally posted this to the wrong thread last night:

No disrespect to Nicky, it's great that he won Rutgers their first title in anything in ages, but I'm still not 100% on board with his wrestling. Put him up against Spencer Lee at 125 and I'd take Spencer every time. Suriano's got strength, speed, and defense but Spencer's got that plus superior technique and it’s not really close IMO. Maybe not as much of a gas tank due his mystery condition, but Spencer's technical skills are off  the charts compared to Suriano and that’s why I can’t see Nick beating Spencer anytime soon. His technique still needs work.

Edited by pamela
font size

2 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

He wasn’t given a chance to,attempt a turn, the stale mate was too quick 

I love Fix but that was stalling/stalemate all day. Fix needs to act better. If so he is the champ.Instead he sat there for 5 seconds. Good call. 

In regard to some of the Fix/Suriano calls:

1.)  stalemates should be, and almost always are, called quickly on leg riders in ot ride outs.  They are almost exclusively used to run out time with next to no effort to turn.  I think it should have been called faster. 

2.) The headgear situation showed no clear grasping, let alone pulling. In fact it mainly looked like pushing the side of the head away, almost exclusively with the palm. Now, if Fix wasn’t copying Askren with the hair style, a review would have been more definitive, but I saw nothing to clearly say there was a penalty. 

1 hour ago, TFBJR said:

Yours is a completely dickhead post, but considering the source ...... 

dudes like this are simply jealous. His wife / girlfriend probably commented favorably on his ripped physique with something like, "honey why don't you get back into shape like Nicky, ya fat bast***"   

Jealousy like this with multiply 10 fold once he becomes an MMA superstar. He'll have more women chasing him which will send guys like this through the roof!

Hahahahahaha!!!

3 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

dudes like this are simply jealous. His wife / girlfriend probably commented favorably on his ripped physique with something like, "honey why don't you get back into shape like Nicky, ya fat bast***"   

Jealousy like this with multiply 10 fold once he becomes an MMA superstar. He'll have more women chasing him which will send guys like this through the roof!

Hahahahahaha!!!

My wife said: "Wow, look at Nick's abs.  He's almost as cut as you, honey."

1 hour ago, WillieBoy said:

He did a good job once he finally remembered what he learned at Penn State...

He is 1/2 at ncaa tournaments (50%). Psu only won 33% of the weights they had qualifiers in this year. Suriano could teach them a thing or two. 

You just got scienced 

I still can’t believe OSU and John Smith’s strategy for that match. Don’t attack at all, beg for stall calls on Suriano, pray for a HTF or technical violation, and grind out a 1 point win just like the dual. Suriano may not have done much, but he was still way more active than Fix was and that’s saying something. I’m pretty impartial as a fan to Suriano, but I’m sure the guy won that deserved to win. 

Fix has a bright future, but that plan from OSU last night was BS and terrible for the sport. 

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

In regard to some of the Fix/Suriano calls:

1.)  stalemates should be, and almost always are, called quickly on leg riders in ot ride outs.  They are almost exclusively used to run out time with next to no effort to turn.  I think it should have been called faster. 

My question is, would the ref have called that stalemate that quick if Fix hadn’t gotten the controversial stall call in the first ride out?  I doubt it.  Everyone uses some version of a stall ride in rideouts.  Ref felt pressure to give Suriano a better chance to tie it up. 

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

2.) The headgear situation showed no clear grasping, let alone pulling. In fact it mainly looked like pushing the side of the head away, almost exclusively with the palm. Now, if Fix wasn’t copying Askren with the hair style, a review would have been more definitive, but I saw nothing to clearly say there was a penalty. 

IMO, Suriano wasn’t trying to push him away.  Fix looked like he had him with the shrug and Suriano gripped/held onto the head gear to keep him from getting behind.  Fix immediately reacted so you know he felt the pull, but that reaction cost him the match.  Gotta keep wrestling there.

Do the rules about a stalemate change in overtime?  

I feel like the refs adjust their interpretation of the rules too much based on time.  Everything should be called correctly, despite external factors.  

I was betting on the finals and chose Suriano to win, but I don't think the ref should have called the stalemate like that.  

3 minutes ago, Glane18 said:

Do the rules about a stalemate change in overtime?  

I feel like the refs adjust their interpretation of the rules too much based on time.  Everything should be called correctly, despite external factors.  

I was betting on the finals and chose Suriano to win, but I don't think the ref should have called the stalemate like that.  

Look the officials screwed up numerous times during the match:

1.  Fix could have been called for stalling multiple times but Nick wasn't doing much more than Fix

2.  The officials stalemate call in overtime was head scratching at best

3.  The NON CALL for Nick grabbing the headgear of Fix during overtime was a joke.  Not only did the officials not make the call live but they didn't change it when it is very obvious on the replay.  The natural reaction of Fix trying to show the official his headgear was grabbed while being takedown cannot be staged.  You can also view the way that Nick's left hand is cupped around the headgear

4.  Fix should have wrestled through the final takedown and then allowed it to go to replay but that is a lesson that will be learned by a young wrestler

5.  Wrestling coaches are so nice because if this had been football or basketball John Smith would have called out the official by name on national TV for screwing up the match.

6.  The NCAA needs to have an independent official reviewing all protest or just do away with the protest.  The way that things are now is nothing more than a judge making a ruling in court but that same judge hears the appeal.  The system is broken and has been broken much like the NCAA is broken

This may be apples to oranges but Fix was an offensive buzzsaw when he won his Jr World gold. What happened to that beautiful chain wrestling?

Agree with some posts above and somewhat stunned that Fix didn't open it up, at least a little bit last night. When you wrestle a match like that you're leaving it in the hands of the refs whether they're right or wrong, and you're leaving all that talent and hard work in your back pocket. Looked like Fix wrestled "not to lose, don't make a mistake", and lost anyway.

Maybe the refs were wrong on those calls, maybe not, but Fix put himself in that situation. He had 7 minutes to beat Suriano and didn't use it.

Congrats to Suriano.

It's great that we can all have an opinion on this and have a good debate on it. That's wrestling.  There will always be disagreements.  But in the end, we all love this sport, and can agree to disagree!