wrestlingnerd

Suriano has the last laugh

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

He is 1/2 at ncaa tournaments (50%). Psu only won 33% of the weights they had qualifiers in this year. Suriano could teach them a thing or two. 

You just got scienced 

Science? I'll tell you all about science after I get back from my Around the World cruise with the Flat Earth Society!

4 hours ago, pamela said:

I accidentally posted this to the wrong thread last night:

No disrespect to Nicky, it's great that he won Rutgers their first title in anything in ages, but I'm still not 100% on board with his wrestling. Put him up against Spencer Lee at 125 and I'd take Spencer every time. Suriano's got strength, speed, and defense but Spencer's got that plus superior technique and it’s not really close IMO. Maybe not as much of a gas tank due his mystery condition, but Spencer's technical skills are off  the charts compared to Suriano and that’s why I can’t see Nick beating Spencer anytime soon. His technique still needs work.

Why are you comparing him to Lee? They wrestle different weights. Frankly, I'm not on board with Spencer because I just can't see him beating Yianni and if he can't beat Yianni then he can't...uhhh win a weight class he doesn't compete in? Suriano beat 3 NCAA finalists (one by fall) and two Junior World Medalists on his way to the title this weekend. I don't believe he gave up an offensive point all weekend either. I'm not sure why people on this forum always have to disparage his accomplishments. His worst career loss is Austin DeSanto at Carver in a match he gave up multiple penalty points in. Other than that, he's only been beaten by world medalists. 

1 hour ago, 2td3nf said:

Maybe the refs were wrong on those calls, maybe not, but Fix put himself in that situation. He had 7 minutes to beat Suriano and didn't use it.

Congrats to Suriano.

You are right on the money, except it was even worse. He had 8 full minutes before ride-outs. If you consider yourself the aspiring senior world starter and don't take a shot for a >8 minute match, you have nobody to complain about but yourself. The whole match was a travesty, but I was most disappointed in Fix.

3 hours ago, Glane18 said:

Do the rules about a stalemate change in overtime?  

I feel like the refs adjust their interpretation of the rules too much based on time.  Everything should be called correctly, despite external factors.  

I was betting on the finals and chose Suriano to win, but I don't think the ref should have called the stalemate like that.  

Rivera needed some stalemates when flat on his stomach with legs 

6 hours ago, pamela said:

I accidentally posted this to the wrong thread last night:

No disrespect to Nicky, it's great that he won Rutgers their first title in anything in ages, but I'm still not 100% on board with his wrestling. Put him up against Spencer Lee at 125 and I'd take Spencer every time. Suriano's got strength, speed, and defense but Spencer's got that plus superior technique and it’s not really close IMO. Maybe not as much of a gas tank due his mystery condition, but Spencer's technical skills are off  the charts compared to Suriano and that’s why I can’t see Nick beating Spencer anytime soon. His technique still needs work.

I doubt it.   Lee can't beat rivera and rivera lost badly to micic.   Suriano controlled micic and i think he tech oins lee now.   133 so much harder, micic-rivera was a battle of the 1s earlier in the year

I apologize if I missed this somewhere else, but can someone please tell me how, with 20 seconds left in Suriano’s ride out, there was no locked hands call?  Is it because he was draped?  They are locked for a couple of seconds. 

68F0AC65-25CD-448D-B1E3-80C208365539.jpeg

1 minute ago, RAJ72 said:

I apologize if I missed this somewhere else, but can someone please tell me how, with 20 seconds left in Suriano’s ride out, there was no locked hands call?  Is it because he was draped?  They are locked for a couple of seconds. 

68F0AC65-25CD-448D-B1E3-80C208365539.jpeg

if you dont edit out the portion of the picture with fix's head, you will see his head is in the lock...

I agree that his head was somewhat in the lock. I was truly asking for clarification. It’s clearly not a pinning move either, so I wondered about the rule. I can’t get the whole pic in due to size restraints. Yes, I said “pic.” 

428F7878-69B2-4249-95E6-A384ECD2CA70.jpeg

10 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

He wasn’t given a chance to,attempt a turn, the stale mate was too quick 

You sir are correct.  I've never seen it called that quick in that situation in 60+ years of watching.

The headgear pull absolutely kept Daton from scoring his shrug.  That was criminal.  Looks like time for another Jordan Oliver rule so the next guy won't have to go through this.  Nick carried the pace of the match, and if he had done just a little more offense he would have probably gotten a point for stalling.  Tough as nails, and we get Mr Gross back next season too, if his neck is healed.

3 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Why are you comparing him to Lee? They wrestle different weights. Frankly, I'm not on board with Spencer because I just can't see him beating Yianni and if he can't beat Yianni then he can't...uhhh win a weight class he doesn't compete in? Suriano beat 3 NCAA finalists (one by fall) and two Junior World Medalists on his way to the title this weekend. I don't believe he gave up an offensive point all weekend either. I'm not sure why people on this forum always have to disparage his accomplishments. His worst career loss is Austin DeSanto at Carver in a match he gave up multiple penalty points in. Other than that, he's only been beaten by world medalists. 

Because... they used to compete at the same weight last year? Spencer and Yianni never competed against one another at 125, so what are you even talking about. Again, it's great that Nick won a title and all but after all the talk about taking care of business and such, he didn't take care of business with Spencer when he could have. It was reported that Suriano weighed somewhere in the mid-130s last summer, then Goodale said he weighed 138 in the preseason and would pick a weight class in October, so it wasn't exactly like 125 was out of reach. Nick had a great albeit controversial run to the title at 133, but I just don't think he could have done it at 125 against Lee for the reasons I mentioned earlier, and it just seems like he still has some unfinished business, if you will.

3 minutes ago, Peso said:

You sir are correct.  I've never seen it called that quick in that situation in 60+ years of watching.

The headgear pull absolutely kept Daton from scoring his shrug.  That was criminal.  Looks like time for another Jordan Oliver rule so the next guy won't have to go through this.  Nick carried the pace of the match, and if he had done just a little more offense he would have probably gotten a point for stalling.  Tough as nails, and we get Mr Gross back next season too, if his neck is healed.

After rewatching it, Suriano was on all fours and Fix was high.  There was no way he was gonna get a turn there, he was just hanging on.   Good call by the official.

34 minutes ago, RAJ72 said:

I agree that his head was somewhat in the lock. I was truly asking for clarification. It’s clearly not a pinning move either, so I wondered about the rule. I can’t get the whole pic in due to size restraints. Yes, I said “pic.” 

Locking your hands around the head and arm is not locking hands. The lock must be below both arms to be locking hands.

17 minutes ago, pamela said:

Because... they used to compete at the same weight last year? Spencer and Yianni never competed against one another at 125, so what are you even talking about. Again, it's great that Nick won a title and all but after all the talk about taking care of business and such, he didn't take care of business with Spencer when he could have. It was reported that Suriano weighed somewhere in the mid-130s last summer, then Goodale said he weighed 138 in the preseason and would pick a weight class in October, so it wasn't exactly like 125 was out of reach. Nick had a great albeit controversial run to the title at 133, but I just don't think he could have done it at 125 against Lee for the reasons I mentioned earlier, and it just seems like he still has some unfinished business, if you will.

Again, you are criticizing the national champion at 133 for not beating the national champion at 125. That's stupid. I think Yianni would beat Ashnault if Ashnault was down at 141. Maybe you should criticize Ashnault for that. Cassar had some unfinished business at 197 last year, not even making the team. Maybe he should have stayed down and challenged Nickal for the spot? Did Nickal run up to 197 so he wouldn't have to chance things against Martin again? 

I don't get why that comment is relevant at all and it seems like there are a lot of people on the forums that just don't like Suriano and jump at every chance to criticize him or downplay his ability even when they have to grasp at straws to criticize him after he just won what John Smith called the deepest weight he'd ever seen. How many threads did we have earlier this season saying he couldn't win big matches after a hands to the face call loss and a 3-2 loss to Micic? The kid's worst national tournament finish is 2nd to a guy who had one of the most historically dominant performances of all time. At the national tournament, he's beaten a champ, 2 runner ups, and a junior world champ. But you can't buy in on his talent because he lost one match to Spencer Lee? Get real.

54 minutes ago, RAJ72 said:

It's a pretty standard head and arm lock, and the official correctly started the stall count, forcing Suriano to move off of it after a few seconds. 

42 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Again, you are criticizing the national champion at 133 for not beating the national champion at 125. That's stupid. I think Yianni would beat Ashnault if Ashnault was down at 141. Maybe you should criticize Ashnault for that. Cassar had some unfinished business at 197 last year, not even making the team. Maybe he should have stayed down and challenged Nickal for the spot? Did Nickal run up to 197 so he wouldn't have to chance things against Martin again? 

I don't get why that comment is relevant at all and it seems like there are a lot of people on the forums that just don't like Suriano and jump at every chance to criticize him or downplay his ability even when they have to grasp at straws to criticize him after he just won what John Smith called the deepest weight he'd ever seen. How many threads did we have earlier this season saying he couldn't win big matches after a hands to the face call loss and a 3-2 loss to Micic? The kid's worst national tournament finish is 2nd to a guy who had one of the most historically dominant performances of all time. At the national tournament, he's beaten a champ, 2 runner ups, and a junior world champ. But you can't buy in on his talent because he lost one match to Spencer Lee? Get real.

Ashnault hadn't been saying all season that he was going to take care of unfinished business from like the year before he sat out and MRS. Cassar neither, he says he was just happy to have had the opportunity to be there to compete. If Nick could have made weight at 125 without problems, why didn't he return to compete against Spencer? Oh right, he doesn't have the technique to compete with him. 

After reading people on here loving on Suriano, and then reading the other thread bashing a guy like Cenzo, I’m completely confused. Suriano is one of the weirdest and most unlikable dudes In college wrestling imo. He ranks right there with Tyler Berger and Bo Nickel. If he’s even invited to parties, he’s probably about as lame as Ashnault’s crowd pumping attempt post NC match. 

Can't say I like Suriano, but I was happy for him.  He outwrestled Fix (a competitor I do like) and scored a legit takedown when Fix played defense and kept near the edge.  Suriano has taken a lot of heat (some of it deserved), but he put together a great tournament.  Kudos.

9 minutes ago, bsharp2384 said:

After reading people on here loving on Suriano, and then reading the other thread bashing a guy like Cenzo, I’m completely confused. Suriano is one of the weirdest and most unlikable dudes In college wrestling imo. He ranks right there with Tyler Berger and Bo Nickel. If he’s even invited to parties, he’s probably about as lame as Ashnault’s crowd pumping attempt post NC match. 

I think he's pretty cringeworthy too and typically mute the tv or computer whenever he's interviewed. I'm merely defending his wrestling abilities which are undeniable.

23 minutes ago, pamela said:

Ashnault hadn't been saying all season that he was going to take care of unfinished business from like the year before he sat out and MRS. Cassar neither, he says he was just happy to have had the opportunity to be there to compete. If Nick could have made weight at 125 without problems, why didn't he return to compete against Spencer? Oh right, he doesn't have the technique to compete with him. 

That's complete speculation. He looked plenty big at 133. I think 125 would be a tough pull for him. Suriano is more technical than you give him credit for. 

Also it's not like he ran to a weak weight (like Ashnault). 133 was way tougher than 125 even without Gross who Suriano expected to be there. He's definitely not afraid of the competition.

Edited by qc8223

19 minutes ago, pamela said:

Who said he could make 125 without problems?  I think he has a negative body fat %