wrestlingnerd

Suriano has the last laugh

23 minutes ago, pamela said:

I mentioned in my earlier post, Goodale was saying in during the preseason in like August or September that Nick only weighed 138 or so. 

13 pounds with that body fat % is no joke. 

9 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Suriano is a lot of things, but scared isn't one of them. Personally, I love having different personalities in the sport. So he's weird. Who cares? He's like a less-likable Gilman. emoji6.pngemoji6.pngemoji6.png

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's not a bad comparison honestly.

Just now, VakAttack said:

I know, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.

It would be sick if he starts talking about killing deer next year to top off his instagram influencer schtick.

On 3/23/2019 at 5:49 PM, VND said:

Glad to see Nick win. i'm watching the off the mat version of the finals.They had video of his family in the corner...i sure hope nick breaks off a piece of that last laugh and shares it with his dad,not very smiley...i think he was mad at john smith

He was ready to fight smith. I lost a lot of respect for john with the hands to the face, the headgear pull, Chance M. and the BS he pulled with his son. I hope he retires soon. One of the biggest dicks in the sport. 

23 hours ago, Mr. Peepers said:

Yup, happy for Nick- if nothing else, he wrestles his @ss off, plus he's a warrior.  You see his face after B10's?  Yikes, he looked like an MMA fighter.  But in interviews, he always looks like someone just killed his dog or something- just staring at the camera with this baleful look, and his cold, empty eyes.

...so his eyes look the way you look into your computer screen while typing this post; got it. 

It would be sick if he starts talking about killing deer next year to top off his instagram influencer schtick.
His post match interview he should have talked about squeezing the life out of him.

I actually would have died if he had said "yeah, I grabbed his headgear. He should have cut his hair instead of cutting corners in his wrestling." Full heel promo.

32 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I know, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.

I feel like Gilman only starts fights while Suriano is looking to finish fights. 

Gillman said her wanted to street fight a guy at NCAAs after the quarters and then didn’t wrestle well the next round and lost. 

Suriano makes his comments about getting intense about opponents he has the next round or in response to Desanto’s weirdness prompting questions. 

Suriano’s personality isn’t my favorite but it’s 10 times more pealing than Gilman’s. 

10 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I actually would have died if he had said "yeah, I grabbed his headgear. He should have cut his hair instead of cutting corners in his wrestling." 

LOL!  I was secretly hoping that Nolf would fling his ankle bands up in the air and shoot at them as they fluttered back to the mat - but I knew it wasn't ever gonna happen.

14 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I thought it was a good call too. Maybe could've waited 2-3 more seconds though. It wouldn't have mattered in the end.

I DO think the headgear call was missed due to Fix's shaggy hair, though, but when you do jack sht all match like Fix, you put yourself in a position to lose that way. I felt the right wrestler won and for the first time in a while, agree with Suriano's assessment of the match. He took more risks and dictated the pace, albeit ever so slightly more. Fix did absolutely nothing.

Something that amazes me about these FS guys is how passive they are in neutral sometimes.  Fix is super quick and strong, I have no idea why he doesn't shoot more often because he's definitely leaving points off the board. I think wrestling at the highest levels of FS (for his age group) he's learned to respect his opponent's defenses perhaps a little too much?

I think he beat himself vs Suriano by not being aggressive enough. Hopefully he learned something and comes back and wins a title next year.

10 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Something that amazes me about these FS guys is how passive they are in neutral sometimes.  Fix is super quick and strong, I have no idea why he doesn't shoot more often because he's definitely leaving points off the board. I think wrestling at the highest levels of FS (for his age group) he's learned to respect his opponent's defenses perhaps a little too much?

I think he beat himself vs Suriano by not being aggressive enough. Hopefully he learned something and comes back and wins a title next year.

This won't be a popular comment for Fix fans, but I genuinely think  he's afraid of Suriano, who's been in his head since the dreaded HS marathon match. In what must be an hour's worth of wrestling, the highly offense-minded, frequently risk-taking Fix has shot on Suriano .... what, a total of ONE time? By afraid, I don't mean Suriano shows up on Fix's nightmares on the regular. I mean Fix is afraid of shooting on Suriano so he'll do anything to avoid it.

Fix and John Smith both KNOW he can't take Suriano down off of his own offense.   They want a re-shot, counter, Hands to the Face, Stall call, Headgear pull, or penalty point for making mean faces.  Anything but get to your offense. 

4 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

This won't be a popular comment for Fix fans, but I genuinely think  he's afraid of Suriano, who's been in his head since the dreaded HS marathon match. In what must be an hour's worth of wrestling, the highly offense-minded, frequently risk-taking Fix has shot on Suriano .... what, a total of ONE time? By afraid, I don't mean Suriano shows up on Fix's nightmares on the regular. I mean Fix is afraid of shooting on Suriano so he'll do anything to avoid it.

Fix has never been a high octane leg attacker. He puts up big scores in freestyle with his top work (best trap-arm gut in the world potentially), not takedowns. In folkstyle, he's always had tight matches with top competition. Against good guys, he usually scores zero, one, or two takedowns, very rarely more. Even in those cases, many of his takedowns are from shrugs and scrambles. His top weakness for years has been his lack of reliable leg attacks.

I'm an OSU homer and I think Fix got screwed. I think he should have been a lot more aggressive though. That being said, some of you are acting like Nick was an offensive force. He took one shot early in the first period then absolutely nothing the rest of the match. IMO, pushing is not offense. Fix had the two most committed shots of the match, the double leg in the third and the attempt in OT. 

3 minutes ago, osufan12 said:

I'm an OSU homer and I think Fix got screwed. I think he should have been a lot more aggressive though. That being said, some of you are acting like Nick was an offensive force. He took one shot early in the first period then absolutely nothing the rest of the match. IMO, pushing is not offense. Fix had the two most committed shots of the match, the double leg in the third and the attempt in OT. 

Suriano took more attacks than that first shot. He was pretty clearly the aggressor. I definitely wouldn't classify Fix's attempts at the "most committed" considering Suriano was the one who actually scored with a leg attack. Also, leading with "I'm an OSU homer and I think Fix got screwed" kind of hurts your credibility here.

2 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Fix has never been a high octane leg attacker. He puts up big scores in freestyle with his top work (best trap-arm gut in the world potentially), not takedowns. In folkstyle, he's always had tight matches with top competition. Against good guys, he usually scores zero, one, or two takedowns, very rarely more. Even in those cases, many of his takedowns are from shrugs and scrambles. His top weakness for years has been his lack of reliable leg attacks.

But he is definitely offensive more often than not. He is easier to scout than other elite guys at his level because he has that inside trip and the throwby's as go-tos, but he also has a very good boot scoot/duck series to both sides and excellent short offense. Just because his core move isn't a single or double doens't mean he's not offense-minded. He is also a risk-taker when forced. He was the guy who ultimately shot against Suriano in the marathon match in HS, after all, not the other way around. After an eternity of no risk, he took the risk and lost. 

But against Suriano, he wrestles much more timidly than I've ever seen him wrestle at any level. I think it's mental.

5 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Suriano took more attacks than that first shot. He was pretty clearly the aggressor. I definitely wouldn't classify Fix's attempts at the "most committed" considering Suriano was the one who actually scored with a leg attack. Also, leading with "I'm an OSU homer and I think Fix got screwed" kind of hurts your credibility here.

I just don't think pushing around the mat and half swipes at the leg is offense and being aggressive. Nick took a nice shot in the first. Fix took a nice shot in the third and then the OT which Nick scored off of. That was basically the action on the feet.

By all means rip Fix for not being aggressive enough on his feet. He deserves it. I just don't think Nick was some offensive savant during the match. He wasn't trying to initiate real offense. He was trying to get stall calls. He played it just as close to the vest as Fix did. 

3 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

But he is definitely offensive more often than not. He is easier to scout than other elite guys at his level because he has that inside trip and the throwby's as go-tos, but he also has a very good boot scoot/duck series to both sides and excellent short offense. Just because his core move isn't a single or double doens't mean he's not offense-minded. He is also a risk-taker when forced. He was the guy who ultimately shot against Suriano in the marathon match in HS, after all, not the other way around. After an eternity of no risk, he took the risk and lost. 

But against Suriano, he wrestles much more timidly than I've ever seen him wrestle at any level. I think it's mental.

I'm pretty sure Suriano was in deep on Fix way more often in that marathon match than Fix got to him. There were at least 5-6 big scrambles in that match, unlike their college matches. It definitely wasn't an "eternity of no risk" like you claimed. Against top guys, Fix plays it very close to the vest. He got a quick takedown against Pletcher and held position for 6 minutes after that. Suriano is the same way. I wouldn't expect anything different from either of them. Both are very tactical wrestlers who pick their spots. Obviously, Fix has some nice tools like you mentioned, but he does not get to them consistently against top guys and I don't think it's reasonable to expect him to do so against someone as positionally sound as Suriano. Even Micic has only been able to get to Suriano's legs once in 2 matches, and he has the best leg attacks at the weight.

Just now, osufan12 said:

I just don't think pushing around the mat and half swipes at the leg is offense and being aggressive. Nick took a nice shot in the first. Fix took a nice shot in the third and then the OT which Nick scored off of. That was basically the action on the feet.

By all means rip Fix for not being aggressive enough on his feet. He deserves it. I just don't think Nick was some offensive savant during the match. He wasn't trying to initiate real offense. He was trying to get stall calls. He played it just as close to the vest as Fix did. 

I agree that he definitely wasn't an offensive savant, but he was definitely doing more to try to open Fix up than the other way around. Fix was content to hold position. Suriano hustled to angles, snapped, and somewhat attempted to attack. He definitely wasn't super aggressive, but Fix set a really low bar.

He chased Fix halfway back to Oklahoma while Fix and JS were wondering how they could get the Ref to pitch in some offense.   Did you want Suriano to take an ill-conceived shot?  That was what Fix was hoping for.  Living off of the Freestyle World credentials of the Okie gang.   No such luck.  He should be happy with a Silver; Micic would have beaten him also.  Possibly Desanto as well.  All of those guys push the offense.  

The right guy won - no one can question that.   And no one has been.   They changed the rules so that Okie State guys with zero offense now lose. . 

1 hour ago, TFBJR said:

He chased Fix halfway back to Oklahoma while Fix and JS were wondering how they could get the Ref to pitch in some offense.   Did you want Suriano to take an ill-conceived shot?  That was what Fix was hoping for.  Living off of the Freestyle World credentials of the Okie gang.   No such luck.  He should be happy with a Silver; Micic would have beaten him also.  Possibly Desanto as well.  All of those guys push the offense.  

The right guy won - no one can question that.   And no one has been.   They changed the rules so that Okie State guys with zero offense now lose. . 

I don't know that the right guy won.  I just know that I'm so thankful it's over.  Suriano only did SLIGHTLY more over Fix, and we all watched him try to game the rules in his own way with the 5 count.  Fix did so little, though, I have no sympathy for him.